The Student Room Group

Real Estate at University of Westminster or London South Bank

So I have received offers for Masters degrees from:

1. University of Westminster for Real Estate Development
2. London South Bank for Real Estate, and also Property Development and Planning
for start in September 2012.

I have done research on both universities, but can't make up my mind which course to do!

Can anyone who goes to either of these universities offer any advice? Is there anyone who is actually doing these courses?

Many thanks :-)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Westminster is much better. I didn't even know South Bank existed as a uni.
Reply 2
I know someone who attended Westminster as an undergrad, and he says it is prestigious although I think it is far from being the case.
Original post by Biker_Chick

So I have received offers for Masters degrees from:

1. University of Westminster for Real Estate Development
2. London South Bank for Real Estate, and also Property Development and Planning
for start in September 2012.

I have done research on both universities, but can't make up my mind which course to do!

Can anyone who goes to either of these universities offer any advice? Is there anyone who is actually doing these courses?

Many thanks :-)

I don't go to either of those universities. Westminster isn't a high ranking university, neither is London South Bank, but Westminster is ranked a lot higher than London South Bank.
I'd so go for Westminster
Reply 4
What are your grades like? If you have a 2:1 then you should look at some better universities.

If not, Westminster is probably the better choice.
Westminster is a bad university. London South Bank is (or at least was) the lowest ranked university in Britain.

Go for whichever is cheapest, or better, get a job.
Reply 6
Haha these two are actually ranked in the top universities in the country for Property related courses.

I am predicted a 2:1, and lol the whole point of doing a masters is so I can get a job when I graduate! Some of the companies I want to apply for require a masters.
You may want to study an academic subject at a decent uni! If you get a 2:1 that is.
Reply 8
Haha these two are actually ranked in the top universities in the country for Property related courses.

I am predicted a 2:1, and lol the whole point of doing a masters is so I can get a job when I graduate! Some of the companies I want to apply for require a masters.

I think you are wrong, where do you get this info?
For land and property management these two are

Westminster - 12 (out of 15)
London South bank - does not exist

source: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Land+%26+Property+Management

For business studies:

Westminster - 86

London South Bank - 113

Overall
Westminster - 77
London South bank - 116 (out of 116)
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?

It is safe to say that this two are among some of the worst universities in the UK.

For Real Estate you can go to Cass, they actually have a program for that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Well these are the two which sounded most attractive for the type of course I want to do, and their module content is very relevant for the career I want, which is why I picked them over say Oxford or Cambridge which are very good theoretically but awful for practical skills or links with industry. Also the big property consultancy companies I want to apply to hold careers fairs at these universities and seem to have good links with them. You have to take those league tables with a pinch of salt and look at what criteria they are actually evaluating universities on - you have to remember they are very subjective!
Reply 10
Well these are the two which sounded most attractive for the type of course I want to do, and their module content is very relevant for the career I want, which is why I picked them over say Oxford or Cambridge which are very good theoretically but awful for practical skills or links with industry. Also the big property consultancy companies I want to apply to hold careers fairs at these universities and seem to have good links with them. You have to take those league tables with a pinch of salt and look at what criteria they are actually evaluating universities on - you have to remember they are very subjective!

Are you serious? The average Oxbridge graduate is many times more successful in life than the average Westminster or South Bank graduate.
Reply 11

You must be joking.
Subjective or not, when it comes to looking for work Oxford grad has much better chances than Westminster grad. You can, perhaps, argue Westminster over Essex or Newcastle, but comparing it to Oxford and actually claiming that Westminster is better for your career ? This must be a joke.
Reply 12
Again, your views are subjective. Just being intelligent enough to go to Oxford or Cambridge doesn't mean you're going to be successful in life! You have to be an all-rounded person.
Well these are the two which sounded most attractive for the type of course I want to do, and their module content is very relevant for the career I want, which is why I picked them over say Oxford or Cambridge which are very good theoretically but awful for practical skills or links with industry.

You've swallowed an ad line without doing any research. Doesn't bode well for a career in business.
Reply 14
Not everyone can or should aspire top colleges. This is clearly the case, so let the girl be. Not everyone can be elite.
'Eliteness' is the reason to go, however. Masters degrees usually cost hard cash, and not fake Student Loans Company debt. How much will a master's degree from London South Bank add to your employability? In almost every case less than that year spent working. This is not necessarily the case if you get into Cambridge, because the fact you were admitted proves you are intelligent even if the degree isn't that useful.
Reply 16
Again, your views are subjective. Just being intelligent enough to go to Oxford or Cambridge doesn't mean you're going to be successful in life! You have to be an all-rounded person.

All views are subjective. That said, these views are shared by the employers.
I just do not want you to fool yourself, that's all.
Reply 17
LSB is neither LSE nor LBS.... I can't see too much values it'll add to your employability.
Reply 18
I could get into Oxbridge if i wanted to, but meeting people who have been there and knowing their workload and the structure of their degree programmes I do not believe it is the best option for developing the skills you need for a successful career. Most employers do not really care what degree you did or the grade you get, they're looking for the skills you have for their business and - as I have been told by employers - whether they get on with you and like you as a person. Not all employers want Oxbridge candidates.
Reply 19
Not all employers want Oxbridge candidates.

This is true.
The reason is, though, - they do not want to PAY for Oxbridge candidates, who will cost them more, and are more likely to leave for a better job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending