The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Interview at University of Kent BSc

Hello, I have applied for Computer Science with a year in industry at the University of Kent and have been asked to come back for an interview. I have been told that the interview itself will be informal, much like a conversation, but have not been told if there is a dress code.

Has anyone previously been to an interview with the Computing department of Kent and can give me some pointers and/or advice? It would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Rob.
Doing philosophy I didn't have an interview, didn't know other courses did tbh
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
If anyone could answer this, would be really helpful, I've also got an interview as well need to know what to expect.
Reply 3
Original post by StandbyExplosion
Hello, I have applied for Computer Science with a year in industry at the University of Kent and have been asked to come back for an interview. I have been told that the interview itself will be informal, much like a conversation, but have not been told if there is a dress code.

Has anyone previously been to an interview with the Computing department of Kent and can give me some pointers and/or advice? It would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks, Rob.

Original post by devanteaddai
If anyone could answer this, would be really helpful, I've also got an interview as well need to know what to expect.

Hi there, I have had an interview at kent for this course and recieved an offer for 2012 so i guess i'll tell you about it.

It's what you would expect really - you get a tour around the place, a question and answer time and an overview of the courses..although actually not much of that for some reason. You also get a talk about the year in industry and stuff. I was quite impressed by it all.

As for the interview, I just had a nice chat with a guy about why I applied, why kent, what can i do with computers, any questions? All that kind of stuff.

I came in black trousers and a shirt. But many just came in a hoody and jeans.

A note about the computer science interview:

This is different than what you consider an interview. Computer science at kent is a common insurance option and is in clearing every single year. Therefore, the point of the ucas day and interview is for them to sell the university to you so you firm it. In the past I think they have just handed out offers, and have had low firm rates. So inviting people to an interview and to tour the department makes the firm rates higher. It's different to a oxford interview where you are selling yourself to the university. Pretty much everyone who attends the interview gets an offer, as far as i'm aware. If you have been invited to the ucas day it's because they want you to come. It's really nothing to panic about. I actually got chatting to my interviewer quite a bit, about his travels, responsibilities and where we live and stuff.

Overall it was quite a nice day, it will probably be my firm depending on jan results. Maybe see you guys in september? if you wanna ask anything else go ahead
Original post by Just Josh
Hi there, I have had an interview at kent for this course and recieved an offer for 2012 so i guess i'll tell you about it.

It's what you would expect really - you get a tour around the place, a question and answer time and an overview of the courses..although actually not much of that for some reason. You also get a talk about the year in industry and stuff. I was quite impressed by it all.

As for the interview, I just had a nice chat with a guy about why I applied, why kent, what can i do with computers, any questions? All that kind of stuff.

This is different than what you consider an interview. Computer science at kent is a common insurance option and is in clearing every single year. Therefore, the point of the ucas day and interview is for them to sell the university to you so you firm it. In the past I think they have just handed out offers, and have had low firm rates. So inviting people to an interview and to tour the department makes the firm rates higher. It's different to a oxford interview where you are selling yourself to the university. Pretty much everyone who attends the interview gets an offer, as far as i'm aware. If you have been invited to the ucas day it's because they want you to come. It's really nothing to panic about. I actually got chatting to my interviewer quite a bit, about his travels, responsibilities and where we live and stuff.

Overall it was quite a nice day, it will probably be my firm depending on jan results. Maybe see you guys in september? if you wanna ask anything else go ahead

I'm in Canada and won't be able to attend an open day obviously. Do you think I may get an offer or am I at such a disadvatnage? I already have the grades.
Reply 5
Original post by ifstatement
I'm in Canada and won't be able to attend an open day obviously. Do you think I may get an offer or am I at such a disadvatnage? I already have the grades.

actually if anything you're in a better position than anyone. You're more $$$ for the university. You'll get an offer if you've already met the conditions no doubt.
Thanks a lot Just Josh! Really helpful information and I'm glad you got your offer :smile:

I am looking forward to it much more than worrying about it and am looking forward to the day out down there.

Thank you again for the reply and yes, you may well see me in September :P

Many thanks, Rob.

Hi Rob,

How long did Kent take to reply to your UCAS application? I sent mine off almost three weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

Thanks

Anthony
Original post by therainbowspider
Hi Rob,

How long did Kent take to reply to your UCAS application? I sent mine off almost three weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

Thanks

Anthony

I've had mine sent in since the end of November.
Reply 9
Original post by Just Josh

As a second year CompSci student, I can confirm this is very accurate. :smile:

In fact, I frequently help out at the UCAS days so you might even meet me!
Original post by therainbowspider
Hi Rob,

Thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

My application was sent to Kent 1st November and I heard back from them after roughly 3 weeks.

If you haven't heard anything from them, I wouldn't worry, it just means that they have not gotten round to your application yet and there are many sent in just before the deadline.

If you have heard nothing from them, don't worry, they won't leave you hangin :smile:

Rob.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending