The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Southampton Adult Nursing selection day, Monday 23rd

So I have my 1st interview for adult nursing and southampton is also my 1st choice. Does anybody else have an interview on monday and if anybody else has already had one at Southampton, what was it like, have you heard back and any tips would be fantastic.

Thanks xx :smile:
Reply 1
I can only go on last year. Brush up on your maths, it wasn't the easiest of the maths tests at interview that I did but I passed so it couldn't have been that bad. Read the pre-read, most groups get asked to discuss aspects of it, though my group didn't! Otherwise it's just general nursing interview questions. The whole session is really laid back and they are very encouraging. Don't forget to dress smartly, it's one of their requirements.

Good luck, Southampton is great, I love it here.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks very much,,, I also feel because I am getting my grandad to drive me 5 hours to get there and then 5 hours back the next day, that I just cannot fail.... It's all I want but as it's my 1st interview, I don't have other uni's to practice on, only got the letter 2 days ago aswell, so 5 days to prep aswell as completing my other assignments.... pretty hectic but really hope it pays off :smile:

have the 21 page pre read... and i'm going through it all now. xx

Original post by glf2110
I can only go on last year. Brush up on your maths, it wasn't the easiest of the maths tests at interview that I did but I passed so it couldn't have been that bad. Read the pre-read, most groups get asked to discuss aspects of it, though my group didn't! Otherwise it's just general nursing interview questions. The whole session is really laid back and they are very encouraging. Don't forget to dress smartly, it's one of their requirements.

Good luck, Southampton is great, I love it here.
Reply 3
Original post by sammylou1987
Thanks very much,,, I also feel because I am getting my grandad to drive me 5 hours to get there and then 5 hours back the next day, that I just cannot fail.... It's all I want but as it's my 1st interview, I don't have other uni's to practice on, only got the letter 2 days ago aswell, so 5 days to prep aswell as completing my other assignments.... pretty hectic but really hope it pays off :smile:

have the 21 page pre read... and i'm going through it all now. xx

Smile a lot too.

Take a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874735&highlight=nursing+interviews
for ideas re the questions.

Good luck :smile: Let us know how you get on.
Reply 4
Interview went well, quite informal tbh... The math questions were tough, and im top of my current maths class, as im retaking my maths gcse, but i think i did well... Just have to wait and see.
How long was it before you received a reply?

Sam x
Original post by glf2110
Smile a lot too.

Take a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874735&highlight=nursing+interviews
for ideas re the questions.

Good luck :smile: Let us know how you get on.
Reply 5
Interview went well, quite informal tbh... The math questions were tough, and im top of my current maths class, as im retaking my maths gcse, but i think i did well... Just have to wait and see.

Sam x

My interview was early December and they told us that no news was good news (and indicated that we would very probably be offered a place) and that we should hear by Christmas. They actually didn't send the offers out until early January.
Reply 6

Sam x

Any tips for the interview?? I have mine on Tues!! Terrified! I am doing the dual field course so have to read the two articles!! 130ish pages!! =( I dont now how i am going to remember it all!! Dreading the tests and also i am not the chattiest so the group interaction could be a fail too!!! I really need to get in! Please any advice woudl be great!! Also, what sort of things did peopple wear? I dont want to go to OTT but also i dont want to underdress either! Thanks! x
Reply 7
Original post by JAM1994
Any tips for the interview?? I have mine on Tues!! Terrified! I am doing the dual field course so have to read the two articles!! 130ish pages!! =( I dont now how i am going to remember it all!! Dreading the tests and also i am not the chattiest so the group interaction could be a fail too!!! I really need to get in! Please any advice woudl be great!! Also, what sort of things did peopple wear? I dont want to go to OTT but also i dont want to underdress either! Thanks! x

Just memorise the headline stuff in the documents, I'm on Child branch so made sure I knew about Sure Start etc. With regards to the Maths, it's not that bad, some questions are harder than others but all are answerable. Be smiley at the interview, get eye to eye contact with the interviewers so they remember you. I'm quite shy and I had to push myself to appear more confident but everyone is nervous and the interviewers are very understanding and encouraging. You do have to make sure that you're heard but also that you are listening to others, it's more of a group discussion than an interview.

Wear smart clothes and appear professional. Southampton do say in their correspondence to applicants that it is a professional career and you should dress appropriately. I wore tailored trousers, medium heel smart boots, tailored blouse and a black cardigan. Also wore my "posh" coat and nice scarf and tied my hair back.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by glf2110
Just memorise the headline stuff in the documents, I'm on Child branch so made sure I knew about Sure Start etc. With regards to the Maths, it's not that bad, some questions are harder than others but all are answerable. Be smiley at the interview, get eye to eye contact with the interviewers so they remember you. I'm quite shy and I had to push myself to appear more confident but everyone is nervous and the interviewers are very understanding and encouraging. You do have to make sure that you're heard but also that you are listening to others, it's more of a group discussion than an interview.

Wear smart clothes and appear professional. Southampton do say in their correspondence to applicants that it is a professional career and you should dress appropriately. I wore tailored trousers, medium heel smart boots, tailored blouse and a black cardigan. Also wore my "posh" coat and nice scarf and tied my hair back.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks soo much!! You make it sound so much less scary!! The children's article is just sooo long, they dont specify like the others =( I will try and be confident!! Thanks again for the advice =D x x
Reply 9
Original post by JAM1994
Thanks soo much!! You make it sound so much less scary!! The children's article is just sooo long, they dont specify like the others =( I will try and be confident!! Thanks again for the advice =D x x

Good luck, it's brilliant here. Unfortunately you won't get to meet any first years as we're all out on placement at the mo.

It's really not scary on the interview day, the staff are really lovely. I actually enjoyed it and made friends who are on the course with me now. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 10
Can anyone tell me how long does the group activity last for? And also I'm undecided what to wear, I've got a mid length dress that I wear for work that's black with lots or pearls and embellishment around the neckline. Or to wear tailed trousers and a rust coloured knitted jumper also from my work (monsoon)?
Reply 11
Original post by beefyk
Can anyone tell me how long does the group activity last for? And also I'm undecided what to wear, I've got a mid length dress that I wear for work that's black with lots or pearls and embellishment around the neckline. Or to wear tailed trousers and a rust coloured knitted jumper also from my work (monsoon)?

Last year it went on for about 30 mins or so (I think). Wear what looks professional and you are comfortable in. They just don't want you in jeans etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
The group activity for adult nursing was 20 minutes long and the maths and english test was 45 minutes. I personally thought the maths was quite difficult, being under pressure and not having any working out space etc.... I', predicted a B in my maths this year too haha

The group activity was really good and a very informal day and relaxed. You get given the criteria that they are marking on so you all get a good idea of what you need to do and act like throughout the group activity.

Dress as you would for a normal interview. I wore a pencil skirt, shirt, bright cardigan ( to cathc their attention :smile: ), tights, kitten heels, neutral nail varnish and no chunky jewellery... Tip from a nursing lecturer who interviews that a friend knows.

Good Luck

Original post by beefyk
Reply 13
I have an interview at Southampton on the 23rd February 2012 but Im pretty sure its a Thursday at 12:30

I've applied for adult and child so have to read both articles (150 odd pages) and Im so incredibly nervous, what I'm doing is printing of the selection day information etc and having my answers and stuff ready so I don't get nervous and say nothing haha xxxx
I'm really sorry to ask as it sounds like I don't know what in doing when tbh I'm not... But what are the articles you're on about?!
Reply 15
I'm going to the selection day tomorrow, and there's only one article to read so don't panic!
Hi
I've had an interview for adult nursing at Southampton university and I didn't pass the maths and English test. Southampton university have emailed me saying that the admission tutor has offered me to resit the maths and English test so I have another chance. Has anyone else got an email like that? And if anyone has done the resit for the tests, how was it? Do you only do the maths and English part of the selection day process? I didn't know that the university offer people to resit those tests😐 Please help!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Has anyone recently attended the university of Southampton nursing selection day that can point me to what to how to prepare for the interview. The maths and English, group discussion and video clip. Please help me get better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending