The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Planckton
how did you guys all get your diagnoses?

Can't remember the details because I was pretty young, but I know that one of my primary school teachers first came up with the idea and largely thanks to my parents, I had a diagnosis and statement by Year 5.
Original post by Aph
Resitting year 12 why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondered! Because I thought you were new then I realised that I'd seen you before . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1382
Original post by Edminzodo
Just wondered! Because I thought you were new then I realised that I'd seen you before . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I post here infrequently!! I think I was diagnosed after being excluded for throwing a table at a teacher:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Planckton
how did you guys all get your diagnoses?

I was diagnosed a few months ago. I did a lot of research for about two years, eventually decided I wanted a formal diagnosis, so I went to my GP. They referred me to my local diagnostic service, where I was on the waiting list for about three months. Then I had an assessment appointment with a speech and language therapist, and got my formal diagnostic report a few weeks later.
Original post by Anonymous
I was diagnosed a few months ago. I did a lot of research for about two years, eventually decided I wanted a formal diagnosis, so I went to my GP. They referred me to my local diagnostic service, where I was on the waiting list for about three months. Then I had an assessment appointment with a speech and language therapist, and got my formal diagnostic report a few weeks later.

^ Me.
I'd spent the best part of two years with various people, including strangers ask, or suggest I have autism. I finally went to my GP, had a few psych appointments and got a diagnosis.
My story is unfinished but i can tell you the story so far

1. I went to my GP, explained why i think i have asd, asked for a referral to the adult aspergers service for an assessment.

2. GP did some research and about a week later I went back for another appointment to do the initial assessment.

3. A month or two later i was invited to an appointment for an initial screening, to see if i should go on the waiting list for an assessment.

4. Got a letter telling me I had been put on the waiting list which was 3-6 months.

5. Six months later i got a letter giving me an appointment with the service for diagnostic assessment. That appointment is tomorrow so i'm not sure what will happen next yet.
would checking emails every 5 mins while not playing a game be an obsession?
Original post by nmr1991

I'd say no. I've been known to do it if I know I'm expecting an email.
Original post by nmr1991

Looks more like a kind of tech addiction. An increasing number of people have that.
Could I be having Aspergers?
I researched into the subject more than a year ago, and never had seen such correlation.
There are my possible symptoms: I struggle with walking normally, usually moving my hands involuntarily. I walk fast and do everything fast, from drawing to speech, which frequently results in undesired effect of people getting annoyed at lack of understanding of me. In my lifetime I never had a friend or any form of friendship, I spend hours studying and reading, and I am very annoyed when someone breaks my monotony (I have to agree I feel lonely at times, but I don't want to mix with people that aren't receiving on the same wavelength). I am over expressive, making odd expressions to force an emotion. And over emotional, any simple rise of voice makes me delirious. I rarely smile, and struggle to understand emotions of others, I tend to annoy people not really knowing what with. I am terribly afraid of everything, going outside, dark, even things like plugs or lamps. I have relatively high IQ (it was an internet test, so I shouldn't take it too seriously), and do well on academic level (not as good on exams). I have strong obsessions on interesting topics, when I am in a mood of knowing something, I search everything about it and memorise, could be useful in an academic area, but my fan of interest doesn't overlap with my curriculum. I defensively have Misophonia, which is activation of violent flight of fight response when hearing specific sound or motion (it is usually people eating), it makes me twitch and become very aggressive. (To such extends I started considering jumping out of a car!)
So, can it be Aspergers, or maybe my odd, rare personality (I am an INTJ).
Also. Where can I get a diagnosis.
My parents are quite orthodox and are against any form of freakery, which they call for people of mental/ethnical/religious minority. How can I tell them to not shout at me when I struggle publicly?
Aspergers doesn't affect your ability to walk. I do have mild walking difficulties due to a mixture of medication and 2 rare medical conditions.
Original post by OU Student
Aspergers doesn't affect your ability to walk. I do have mild walking difficulties due to a mixture of medication and 2 rare medical conditions.

It is not that I cannot walk- it is that I am an unusual walker. I move in a way quickest and easiest to me. Even when it is quite unorthodox. Many point that out to me.
Hey guys you might remember me from another account but shush:wink:

anyway I saw a doctor today and he thinks I am mildly Aspergers along with my Dyspraxia, he is referring me to another team since I was with the Early Intervention Team ruling out psychosis (which he thought was not present and what I was experiencing was another symptom of my anxiety/obsessions)

anyway I have been thinking and I've just realised that the whole idea of sex seems alien to me, uncomfortable :/ I mean I'm 22 so just about at the stage where I can deal with the idea of an r'ship, holding hands, kissing cuddling maybe a bit of foreplay but actual SEX no! It's scary and I just don't undersand it. I was wondering whether this could be part of the Aspergers/Dyspraxia as tbh if I said irl that I am a 22 year old male graduate virgin frightened by sex I would be laughed at so much...
The whole idea of relationships scares me too. Not helped when the only guy interested in me is some 13 years older and is just quite blatantly after sex and not a meaningful relationship. I then discovered he has a girlfriend.
Me too and i'm 27...
Given the social difficulties we have, I wouldn't that be surprised if what the 3 previous posts have said, is a normal part of the spectrum. It seems as though you get those on the spectrum who are desparate for a relationship, and those like the above who are rather "meh" and the whole thing scares them.
Reply 1397
I decided I'll be alone for the rest of my life:redface:
Original post by Aph
I decided I'll be alone for the rest of my life:redface:

Aww :frown: This is how I feel too, if I'm honest. It doesn't help with a bad experience either. But I know that not all men are like that.
Reply 1399
Original post by OU Student
Aww :frown: This is how I feel too, if I'm honest. It doesn't help with a bad experience either. But I know that not all men are like that.

I decided it a while ago. Basically everyone is terrified of me and I cant shake it, even with new people I scare them immediately because im 'too nice' . But Im sure you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest