The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by Edminzodo
Has anybody been given funding towards an en-suite from the DSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get DSA for that?!
I've applied but it has been a nightmare with paperwork being lost and confusing Comunications... I know what I'm doing now though. Just need to re-send a few letters.
Original post by Aph
I've applied but it has been a nightmare with paperwork being lost and confusing Comunications... I know what I'm doing now though. Just need to re-send a few letters.

You can sometimes. Well, you have to pay for standard accommodation and they pay the difference.
Original post by Edminzodo
Has anybody been given funding towards an en-suite from the DSA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently Peroxidation did. I got laptop, microphone, speech to text, text to speech software, printer/scanner, OCR software, mentor sessions.
Reply 1743
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can sometimes. Well, you have to pay for standard accommodation and they pay the difference.

Yeah I figured that...

It's not much though. Maybe £600 a year at most. Although I don't remember what the maximum DSA is...
Original post by Aph
Yeah I figured that...

It's not much though. Maybe £600 a year at most. Although I don't remember what the maximum DSA is...

£600 should be fine. My mentoring sessions cost £1800
Original post by Anonymous
Apparently Peroxidation did. I got laptop, microphone, speech to text, text to speech software, printer/scanner, OCR software, mentor sessions.

Original post by Aph

Thanks. I think mine would work out to £684 difference per year, but the accommodation I applied to only has en-suites for disabled students, although I suppose physically disabled students would be given priority over me. Oh well, I have my assessment soon, we shall see.
Original post by Relaen
Can you get extra financing with just being diagnosed with AS? Or is there more to it than that?

In what way? It depends how it affects you.
*joins*
Does anyone here have advice on what to do in socially awkward situations in which you wind up saying something people percieve as offensive, as in bigoted? I used to think I only had problems with NTs but recently it seems to have expanded to other autistic people.

Some of the autism groups I've been to have become more diverse recently but the flipside of this is that I have to be wary of what I say in case I accidentally offend people with other disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, ethnic minorities etc.

Also, most of the people I see in groups like these are struggling and on benefits and I'm living at home with an upper-middle class family. It's fine most of the time but sometimes it becomes an issue, e.g. someone wants to go to a greasy-spoon place, they think the posh restaurant I suggest is too intimidating...
Does anyone here have advice on what to do in socially awkward situations in which you wind up saying something people percieve as offensive, as in bigoted? I used to think I only had problems with NTs but recently it seems to have expanded to other autistic people.

Some of the autism groups I've been to have become more diverse recently but the flipside of this is that I have to be wary of what I say in case I accidentally offend people with other disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, ethnic minorities etc.

Maybe you need to start learning to be careful what you say to others? I know for example, I can get away with saying certain things to a friend of mine (because we know each other well enough) that I couldn't say to people I don't know that well.
Anyone feel like they need their own space to escape to? Away from everyone else. I'm not talking about your own room in someone else's house necessarily, more your own room in university halls, your own room in a house shared with friends, your own flat.

I've lived with a couple of family members. Right now I'm living with someone who doesn't seem to listen half of the time so I'm constantly repeating myself, who if she doesn't understand what I'm saying doesn't say "pardon me?", who interrupts me before I've finished what I've got to say, asks stupid questions, who when asked a question that requires one answer will give 2 or 3 different answers or an answer that isn't specific enough. They require supervision with stuff like grocery shopping because they'll buy more than we need(we'll only need one block of cheese, they'll want to get two when they're not on offer). I cook a lot of the meals in the house. This all leads to a lot of frustration. I'm moving home in a few months but recently it occurred to me that I need the ability to get away from it, I need a break from it but I need to do this a lot and going to my room isn't really enough because I'm not really escaping my frustrations. I need, as I said, my own space. A space on a property that belongs to me or is shared equally, rather than more being given a space in someone else's property if that makes sense.
I'm getting stressed because I applied to a certain hall at university because it was catered and apparently it's a really party focused hall! I JUST WANTED FOOD! Do you think I can call the disability team? I'm so worried.
I'm getting stressed because I applied to a certain hall at university because it was catered and apparently it's a really party focused hall! I JUST WANTED FOOD! Do you think I can call the disability team? I'm so worried.

I think you should do. You need to explain your concerns and what your needs are.
I have AS and I don't know how to make myself part of this thread properly but I wanted to say that it made me really happy to see it :smile: I use TSR a lot but I don't talk to anyone because I don't know how to do that properly, but hello everyone!!
Reply 1754
This was a hard thread to try and refind:tongue:
DSA applications are stressing me out:sigh:
Original post by Aph
This was a hard thread to try and refind:tongue:
DSA applications are stressing me out:sigh:

The disability services should be able to help you with them.

You'll be glad to know that the "assessment" is an informal chat, trying to find out what help you need.
Reply 1756
Original post by Tiger Rag
The disability services should be able to help you with them.

You'll be glad to know that the "assessment" is an informal chat, trying to find out what help you need.

It's just the assessment left to go, my issue is I contacted an assessment center and they want all this contact information about my course and uni which I won't know until after results day so I'm not sure if I should put it off.
Also, if I end up not going to uni due to results, do I then not qualify for DSA and become liable for the cost of the assessment, as I would no longer qualify for DSA?
Really not happy. Went to get some help for my PIP forms yesterday, or so I thought. Guys claims he knows what Autism is. (as do everyone else) But completely disregards the fact that it severely affects my ability to communicate and interact with others. That's despite me saying I've got problems (I'm also slightly deaf and have other hearing difficulties) communicating and interacting with others.

I probably could have done the form myself better. But really don't have the energy to do it myself.
That went better than expected - my friend offered to help me with some extra stuff in regards to pip. He was so much more helpful.
Had a very intense 2-hour assessment today and came out with a formal diagnosis of high-functioning autistic spectrum disorder, of the variety commonly known as Asperger's syndrome - exhausted but very happy that I will finally be able to more easily access the help I need:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest