The Student Room Group

Cambridge Human, Social and Political Sciences (HSPS) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
can any HSPS applicant please help me??

my college(Newnham) told me to choose two subject interview options out of 6-7 (you know, options like egyptology, archaeology..etc.) and I wanted to choose politics and sociology, but they apparently grouped sociology AND psychology together! (so there are two interviewers in the subject interview, one an expert in soc., one in psych.)

But the problem is, I never studied psychology in my life. I know nothing about it. Do I let them know that I only want the 'sociology bit'?? (which sounds sort of weird) Or should I 'prepare" for this subject interview without saying anything??

What did/would you guys do?
I know from experience (I didn't interview at Newnham but got pooled - but I know who'll be your psych interviewer and what kind of stuff they'll be looking for) that they won't expect you to do have any real psychology knowledge. The stuff they will ask you won't require any technical knowledge but will just require you to think for yourself - you should be fine.

They're used to interviewing people that are either interested in politics OR psychology, and have been doing fine that way for years. They'll have all your documents like your personal statement and will know what you're interested in. Don't panic, just prepare as best you can!
Reply 182
Hey,

What kind of essays are you guys sending in? Does the subject really matter? I know for Selwyn at least, they say class-work in a subject (or subjects) of your choice. Does this mean the subjects your interested in studying HSPS-wise or any subject from school?

Thanks!
Reply 183
Original post by TheAbes
Hey,

What kind of essays are you guys sending in? Does the subject really matter? I know for Selwyn at least, they say class-work in a subject (or subjects) of your choice. Does this mean the subjects your interested in studying HSPS-wise or any subject from school?

Thanks!

I sent in essays I wrote for history and english. I hesitated sending some of my economics work but none of it is in a proper essay format. Send anything you would be comfortable discussing in the interview.

Good luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TheAbes
Hey,

Thanks!

Some Colleges ask you for specific things, for example St Catz seems to ask everyone an essay question or for their EPQ, although from hearing from other people I would send in class work from your strongest subjects/most related to your course :smile:
Reply 185
Hey everyone,

I sent in an essay from English Lit and some of my EPQ. Hopefully that'll be alright! This is for Homerton. They didn't specify anything too much.

Sent it off on Tues, hopefully will hear about an interview over the next week or so...
Reply 186
Original post by sickoftheslaughter
Some Colleges ask you for specific things, for example St Catz seems to ask everyone an essay question or for their EPQ, although from hearing from other people I would send in class work from your strongest subjects/most related to your course :smile:

Original post by dimicaut
I sent in essays I wrote for history and english. I hesitated sending some of my economics work but none of it is in a proper essay format. Send anything you would be comfortable discussing in the interview.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! I ended up sending one from my english class and history class too. Fingers crossed...
Reply 187
hey guys :smile: i'm applying to pembroke this year and was just wondering if anyone has got an interview yet? want to know when i should start getting worried haha
Reply 188
Original post by Grace626
hey guys :smile: i'm applying to pembroke this year and was just wondering if anyone has got an interview yet? want to know when i should start getting worried haha

I got an interview for Churchill today I was soo suprised! But all the colleges do it differently so I wouldnt be worried yet
Reply 189
Original post by TheAbes
Thanks guys! I ended up sending one from my english class and history class too. Fingers crossed...

Good luck! :wink:

Reply 190
Original post by Beccajay
I got an interview for Churchill today I was soo suprised! But all the colleges do it differently so I wouldnt be worried yet

oo well done :smile: good luck!!

Well done! Anyone applying at Trinity? I can't find anybody so I'm patiently waiting (probably for a rejection) on my own :frown:

Wow well done! I'm starting to get a tad nervous now, hopefully Jesus will send out rejections/inetrview invitations soon! :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by Caitlin_dj
Well done! Anyone applying at Trinity? I can't find anybody so I'm patiently waiting (probably for a rejection) on my own :frown:

Someone here at my school is also waiting for a response from trinity. Dont stress yet, you're not alone :wink:

Reply 194
Given I haven't heard back from any of my choices yet I'm kinda giving up on Cambridge asking me to interview!
:frown:
Original post by dimicaut
Someone here at my school is also waiting for a response from trinity. Dont stress yet, you're not alone :wink:

Awwww thank you :smile: I'm the only cambridge applicant in my school and it's all a bit scary!

Reply 196
Original post by Noonoo
Given I haven't heard back from any of my choices yet I'm kinda giving up on Cambridge asking me to interview!
:frown:

Not yet! It's still early =) where else have you applied?

Reply 197
LSE, Bristol, Exeter, Birmingham.........
really want an interview though......:s-smilie:
Got a letter in the post today from Jesus! I have an interview on December 8th :biggrin: So excited/terrified!
Original post by JumbleJumble
Got a letter in the post today from Jesus! I have an interview on December 8th :biggrin: So excited/terrified!

Congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending