The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
becca2389
Without the biochemical processes of cells, you wouldn't exist. So thus chemistry is rather useful in real life...and life in general!

True, chemistrt lays the foundations for other sciences to operate from, but i personally don't care. I've always found biochemistry dull.

I like larger scale biology anyway.
Abra
True, chemistrt lays the foundations for other sciences to operate from, but i personally don't care. I've always found biochemistry dull.

I like larger scale biology anyway.

I'm a fan of biology too. But Becca is right what she says. All sciences are linked to chemistry and without chemistry we wouldn't be able to understand much about biology, thus, you should care about the combustion of chemical x :wink:
Reply 62
Funny that really. I was told by Mr former science GCSE teacher that Biology and Physics were the most important and that Chemistry was just made up from the other two. So I would say physics because without physics we wouldn't understand why were even here or why we aren't floating in space! :biggrin:
Reply 63
Mystery
Funny that really. I was told by Mr former science GCSE teacher that Biology and Physics were the most important and that Chemistry was just made up from the other two. So I would say physics because without physics we wouldn't understand why were even here or why we aren't floating in space! :biggrin:

Physics doesn't actually make us understand why we're not floating in space because gravity is not real.
Reply 64
Abra
Physics doesn't actually make us understand why we're not floating in space because gravity is not real.

And we don't know why we're here. (Wouldn't that be biology anyway? Or philosophy?)
Reply 65
I meant Big Bang vs God for who made Earth ( i.e. why we are here on earth) ( Other interpretaions are fine but the two above are the main ones)
Abra
2) Biology - very interesting topics such as extraterrestrial life, cosmology

Hello? :-p
Reply 67
Abra
Chemistry - who on earth is interested in the combustion of chemical x?

Wtf. Without the advance of chemistry, we'd all be dead - without the drugs synthesis etc.

Without the advance physics, we wouldn't be able to go to space, but that's okay.:biggrin:
celeritas
Without the advance physics, we wouldn't be able to go to space, but that's okay.:biggrin:

LMAO!!! Well said! :biggrin:
boywithathorninhisside
Chillax man, I know Chemistry's important. Was just saying it was a bit rich saying someone who won the Nobel Prize in your chosen subject was 'full of crap'.

Oh, come on! The guy is on record more than once saying that atomic energy was unrealistic. He also had some pretty outspoken views about cosmology amongst other things. A nobel prize doesn't make you flawless and whilst ER certain deserved is prize it doesn't give him any right to start chatting bull**** about other academic disciplines.

No one discipline is father to the others, no one discipline is better than the others. All our technology requires contributions from many different sources and to try and argue that one is dominant over the others is nonsense. To be honest without engineers we wouldn't have any of the technology we take for granted, what we would have is a series of very interesting scientific experiments that show potential technological uses.
Reply 70
celeritas
Wtf. Without the advance of chemistry, we'd all be dead - without the drugs synthesis etc.

Chill man, chill. I'm not saying chemistry is useless, just i don't find it as interesting as biology/physics.
Reply 71
Abra
Chill man, chill. I'm not saying chemistry is useless, just i don't find it as interesting as biology/physics.

You don't find it interesting because you don't know how interesting it is. :wink:
Reply 72
Biology is the most interesting imo.
I quite like chemistry too; started out the year loving it and then I started hating it due to the stress and general evilness of advanced higher but now I'm back to quite liking it again.

I've never been able to take physics before so I can't comment on it but I hate math so I can't see myself liking it anymore than chem or bio.
Some of it is fascinating though like astronomy. For me it goes like this;

Biology >>>>>>> Astronomy & Cosmology >>> Chemistry >>>>>>> Physics

:biggrin:
Reply 73
Lou_
Biology >>>>>>> Astronomy & Cosmology >>> Chemistry >>>>>>> Physics

Lou, you've got to like physics to like astronomy...

It makes more sense if you put chemistry last.
Abra

:rolleyes:
Reply 75
Loves Lip Gloss
:rolleyes:

What? honestly.
Reply 76
celeritas
You don't find it interesting because you don't know how interesting it is. :wink:

Chemistry a level, and i've had enough. :p:
Abra
What? honestly.

lol stop taking stuff so seriously :p: Chill, have a laugh like everyone else.
Reply 78
Abra

There is all that stuff about electronics and particles and optics. Which you may need for cosmology but isn't cosmology on it's own.

What I want to know is what sort of traitor to science voted other.
Reply 79
Abra

No I don't think so.
Astronomy to me isn't REALLY physics-y... I mean obviously there is physics in it but there is a lot that isn't that proper math-like-physics; the planets, comets, meteors, sun activity, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending