The Student Room Group

6th Form & A-LEVEL Advice

Hello,
Im currently doing GCSE's and i'm looking for advice on what to choose for A-Levels.
My Current/Predicted Grades are:
Maths: A
Maths Statistics: B
Science 1: A/B
Science 2: A/B
English: B
English Lit: B
Art & Design: Merit

I was wondering on what to pick for A-Levels and have a couple of things i have in mind but im not certain which is best for me to study in Uni:
Games Designer/Developer, Pharmacist, Dentist, Optician, Accountant, Forensics

These are the careers that i have thought of so far but im unsure on which A-Levels to pick. Currently im thinking of taking Maths, Biology and Chemistry but a lot of people are saying that they are too hard and also what could i go on to study in Uni with these?

Any other Career choices then please do say as i want something that is in high demand :smile:

Thanks in advance:P
Reply 1
Original post by Naby08
Hello,
Im currently doing GCSE's and i'm looking for advice on what to choose for A-Levels.
My Current/Predicted Grades are:
Maths: A
Maths Statistics: B
Science 1: A/B
Science 2: A/B
English: B
English Lit: B
Art & Design: Merit

I was wondering on what to pick for A-Levels and have a couple of things i have in mind but im not certain which is best for me to study in Uni:
Games Designer/Developer, Pharmacist, Dentist, Optician, Accountant, Forensics

These are the careers that i have thought of so far but im unsure on which A-Levels to pick. Currently im thinking of taking Maths, Biology and Chemistry but a lot of people are saying that they are too hard and also what could i go on to study in Uni with these?

Any other Career choices then please do say as i want something that is in high demand :smile:

Thanks in advance:P

You can do almost anything with Maths, Biology and Chemistry. For example, you can get into Medicine and healthcare related professions, finance and even law.

They are more academically rigorous than other subjects, but if you have an interest for them and achieve highly in them at GCSE, you should have no problem in getting good grades for them at A level.

At the end of the day, if you want to go into Medicine etc, you only need Bio and Chem, pick the other two which are easiest for you. Finance, I don't know much about but I would presume you would need Maths/Economics etc.

All in all, the subjects you are thinking of would be fine for the career choices you mentioned, just make sure you concentrate on your GCSES, achieve really good grades and then focus on A levels. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Do sciences, they give you the most choices after A-levels. So what if they're hard? Why would you want to do easy subjects? A C in chemistry is better than an A in media studies.

Hard subjects show unis and employers that you are hard working, resilient and intelligent. If not two do at least one science, maths and two other subjects you like.

Most of you career choices ask for maths at the very least and a science.
To be honest if you take Biology Chemistry and Maths you're just creating A LOT of work and stress for yourself. Of course it depends on your strong sides - like are you good at writing essays? Uni's mostly ask for certain grades from 3 A levels but it's good to have 1 science or Maths. Do whatever you're interested in , because there is no 'easy' A level , they all require a certain amount of work and effort, just make sure you pick something that you're likely to enjoy. From the careers you mentioned all of the levels in your message are perfect , but I would advise you to go and talk to your teachers and look at the specifications just so you have an idea of what's expected of you.
Reply 4
Pick what you're interested in/what you're good at.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Well maths never comes in wrong, no matter what you end up doing.

I wouldn't recommend doing sciences if you didn't do triple at GCSE. Most of the people I know who tried either swapped to something else in the first month of term, or ended up with a U/E AS level.

I'd probably suggest maths, economics/business studies (depending on what your sixth form offers, and what you prefer), and maybe something along the lines of english language, applied science, computing or applied ICT.

Really, 16 is too young to be planning your degree and the rest of your life. I picked my A Levels based on one career and one degree, and when I realised that wasn't for me, it was too late. My A Level choices had closed most doors for me. Most people tend to realise in year 12 what they want to do, since they find something they love in the subjects they have chosen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending