The Student Room Group

Who would you save: A beloved pet or a complete stranger?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aeonstorm
Well I didn't know and had to make a guess. On the other hand, if you're going to be a commercial lawyer, theres no problem whatsoever. I'm sure you will think up many devious ways to screw customers over by making incomprehensible contracts :P Mergers would also work. Better make sure you're not defending a company against environmental accusations though - I don't think claiming that its stupid not to get medication for asthma is an acceptable defence for a company's toxic fumes killing asthma patients!

It could perhaps be contributorily negligent, however :sexface:
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
It could perhaps be contributorily negligent, however :sexface:

Haha, you'd make a great commercial lawyer.
Stranger.
I'd prefer to save both but if I had to choose I'd choose a human over an animal.
a stranger, human life is worth in my opinion....the stranger might be important to many people and also will live longer than a pet. pets naturally have a shorter life and it's death would only impact me.
so what about........a random child or older relativee?
Reply 205
Original post by MovieMoments
Notice how close the polls are? What does that tell you about humanity? (Note: I voted for my pet).

It tells you that if you were in a fire and people didn't know you, there is a very high chance that they would rather save their dog than you.
Many people have said that the human must always come before an animal. Some have said that people who think otherwise have no understanding of ethics. I'd like to know those peoples views on the life of a human vs the life of a member of an endangered species.
Reply 207
I think the people saying that they'd choose their pet over a stranger aren't stupid, or morally inept, they're just honest.

I absolutely understand that a human life is more valuable than an animal life. I absolutely understand that to save your pet over someone's mother/father/child is completely unjustifiable.
I however know that put me in that situation and all rational thought would go out of the window. Whilst I want to save a human and should save a human, I have a feeling instinct would take over and I'd be running out of that burning building with my dog.
Original post by becca_c
I think the people saying that they'd choose their pet over a stranger aren't stupid, or morally inept, they're just honest.

I absolutely understand that a human life is more valuable than an animal life. I absolutely understand that to save your pet over someone's mother/father/child is completely unjustifiable.
I however know that put me in that situation and all rational thought would go out of the window. Whilst I want to save a human and should save a human, I have a feeling instinct would take over and I'd be running out of that burning building with my dog.

Well there are two types of people who choose their pet. One type is as you have described, and I guess that is indeed honesty. Even if you understand that a human life is worth more, you may make an irrational decision under pressure.

But then there are those who argue that, even on an intellectual level, in the comfort and safety of their homes, sitting at their computers, they still believe choosing their pet is the right decision. And that is disgusting to my sense of morality and society's system of ethics.
Reply 209
Original post by Aeonstorm
Well there are two types of people who choose their pet. One type is as you have described, and I guess that is indeed honesty. Even if you understand that a human life is worth more, you may make an irrational decision under pressure.

But then there are those who argue that, even on an intellectual level, in the comfort and safety of their homes, sitting at their computers, they still believe choosing their pet is the right decision. And that is disgusting to my sense of morality and society's system of ethics.

Just going to say before I start, I do completely agree with what you're saying :P

I think for those people, they still have the same morals and ethics as 'the rest of us'. It just depends on their view of their pet. If a pet is seen as one of the family then it's perfectly in line with everyone's morality to save it.
This just illustrates my issue with this post. People are perfectly entitled to take issue with peoples' perceptions of their pet, but the amount of importance they place upon their dog does not make them immoral.
Reply 210
Well, that's made my afternoon. I'd never heard of a rebound pet before I wandered into this thread.
Reply 211
Original post by BKS
If my dog were still alive and it were her and a person I'd pick her. I really did love her, I'll always miss her. That sort of emotion would have to win out in that situation regardless of what seems rational

Original post by M4LLY
I'd save a beloved pet anytime. Its just natural instinct to protect the things you love.

Original post by HarveyCanis
Pet, easily. I have no attachment to a stranger. For all I know they're a fraud or murderer. Pets are always innocent.

Edit: What on earth is so controversial about this? :lolwut: But I suppose to further elaborate, and after reading the responses in my thread, my view has altered slightly. I would save an animal I considered to be a genuine member of the family, like a dog, horse, cat etc. But a snake? Rabbit? I'd definitely change to the stranger. Maybe choosing my pet makes me selfish, but I've never denied that and I've never been a massive fan of humanity anyway. It's incredibly unlikely you will save a totally innocent person, whereas the pet will always be 100% pure. Although given the actual situation, it may be more difficult to save a pet if the other option is a child, whilst with an elderly stranger I'd pick the pet for certain. If anyone would actually like to discuss this rather than just negging, I'd be more than happy.

Original post by usernonapplicable
The pet.

You people are all very worrying individuals. Very worrying indeed.

:gfight:
Reply 212
Original post by M1011
You people are all very worrying individuals. Very worrying indeed.

:gfight:

So loving a family member makes us worrying individuals does it?
Reply 213
I think emotional attachment to a pet is more normal than worrying. A perfectly rational choice would nearly always result in picking the human (the nearly being in case of the person being a serial killer or something). But in that situation would be stressful so I doubt i would be thinking rationally and that tends to lead to emotions getting the better of me
Reply 214
My pet without a doubt. I don't really care for some stranger's life.

*cue negs from people who believe human life is superior to everything*
Original post by natty_d
It tells you that if you were in a fire and people didn't know you, there is a very high chance that they would rather save their dog than you.

And yet, I accept and understand that. Quite frankly, I'd be hopeing that I could either: get myself out, get out with the aid of a friend (presumably I wouldn't be in a random place without knowing someone there), or hope a firefighter could get to me in time. If not, then I guess its my time to go.
Reply 216
Original post by M4LLY
So loving a family member makes us worrying individuals does it?

No putting the life of an animal above that of a human makes you a worrying individual.

Also, I like this emote :spider:
Reply 217
Whatever personally makes you feel better in the end...
Reply 218
I'd say you're taking the argument too far there. Someone picking their pet over a stranger, whilst wrong in your eyes, could happen. Someone picking their gameboy over a stranger would not, and if an individual did do that then I'd say they have problems not involving their morality.
Original post by HarveyCanis
Pet, easily. I have no attachment to a stranger. For all I know they're a fraud or murderer. Pets are always innocent.
The pet will always be 100% pure.

Pets are not always innocent, have you not heard of stories where dogs have killed people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending