The Student Room Group

Triumph of Elizabeth A2 AQA June 12th Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Preeti!
I thought it was Gardiner until 1559? and then those in that order

I haven't heard that before. Wikipedia seems to think Gardiner died in 1555 and we all know Wiki's never wrong. But still, there's clearly something wrong with the textbook.
Reply 161
Original post by Preeti!
I thought it was Gardiner until 1559? and then those in that order

Gardiner was Lord Chancellor under Mary's reign- he was never archbishop.

Pole was Archbishop of Canterbury in Mary's reign.
Reply 162
Original post by JoeM
Has anyone else noticed that in the textbook it says that Gardiner supported the wording of Elizabeth's communion but also says that he died in 1555, four years before the settlement reached Parliament? What exactly are we meant to gain from that?

Are you sure you've read it right? What page does it say that?
Reply 163
Original post by Harry.K
Are you sure you've read it right? What page does it say that?

Page 55, first bullet point. "Which even the conservative Bishop Gardiner felt able to accept at the time,"
Reply 164
Original post by JoeM
Page 55, first bullet point. "Which even the conservative Bishop Gardiner felt able to accept at the time,"

I have to agree with you on this, I was under the impression that Gardiner was Archbishop until he died in 1555, then Mary made Pole Archb. There was a similar mistake as the textbook makes in the Elizabeth films as Gardiner is still alive in 59?! I am almost certain that he was dead by Elizabeth's reign.
Reply 165
Original post by Hobo389
I have to agree with you on this, I was under the impression that Gardiner was Archbishop until he died in 1555, then Mary made Pole Archb. There was a similar mistake as the textbook makes in the Elizabeth films as Gardiner is still alive in 59?! I am almost certain that he was dead by Elizabeth's reign.

Annoying. The only reason I have a real problem with it is that I've always been told that Gardiner was an example of a Marian Bishop who opposed the Acts of Uniformity and Supremacy in Lords in 1559. Are there any other examples anyone can think of?
Reply 166
Original post by JoeM
Annoying. The only reason I have a real problem with it is that I've always been told that Gardiner was an example of a Marian Bishop who opposed the Acts of Uniformity and Supremacy in Lords in 1559. Are there any other examples anyone can think of?

I don't know any examples, i'd just simply say that three needed to be arrested in order to pass the act of uniformity :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by JoeM

It's referring to the 1549 Act of Uniformity drawn up by Cranmer, not the one in 1559.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 168
Original post by Hobo389
I don't know any examples, i'd just simply say that three needed to be arrested in order to pass the act of uniformity :smile:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Good luck on Tuesday anyhow.
Reply 169
Original post by JoeM

Whoever told you that is talking bull**** because he died in 1555!
Reply 170
Original post by Harry.K
It's referring to the 1549 Act of Uniformity drawn up by Cranmer, not the one in 1559.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, well that explains things.
I'm going an essay "How successful was Elizabeth in facing the Puritan challenge from 1570-1603" and was just wondering how I would go about answering it. I slightly confused as it is hard to quantify how successful one can deal with a non-violent idealogical movement? As for example foreign relations success can just be judged on what extent were policies achieved.
Reply 172
Original post by TeddyEddy
I'm going an essay "How successful was Elizabeth in facing the Puritan challenge from 1570-1603" and was just wondering how I would go about answering it. I slightly confused as it is hard to quantify how successful one can deal with a non-violent idealogical movement? As for example foreign relations success can just be judged on what extent were policies achieved.

Which is why it is a very unlikely question :P don't overcomplicate things, they will ask questions that you are able to answer.
Reply 173
Looking quite forward to answering a mid-Tudor crisis question and an end reign question :smile:

Cuthbert Tunstall was deprived of his Bishopric for refusing to take the Oath of Supremacy if that's any help?
Reply 174
Could someone simply explain the difference between Puritans and Presbyterians?
Reply 175
I would really like this question to come up and think something along those lines will, I've got a plan this sort of question if you can understand the abbreviations :P

‘Elizabeth I’s authority was threatened more by Puritan extremism than by Catholic opposition in the years 1559-1603.’ Assess the validity of this view.

Intro
>Puritan extremism existed in England mainly as a result of the Calvinised protestant elements of the Religious Settlement of 1559 - which had not been forceful enough in eradicating Marian Catholicism
>Whereas the Catholic threat that E I faced grew out of MQS arrival in England and foreign affairs - rather than an internal threat the E I’s authority
>Catholics were more successful opposing E I’s doctrine throughout early part of her reign eg. Northern Rebellion 1569 - whereas - puritans easily suppressed by E I’s Royal prerogative but proved greater threat to authority

Para 1
>On the one hand - as a result of the Settlement Catholic threat to E I’s authority was firmly neutralised through the pacification of Catholics - retention of doctrinal practices eg. Clergymen’s vestments
>However - the threat to E I’s authority was insignificant until the events instigated by foreign affairs - E I’s greatest Catholic threat to her authority was MQS - acted as figurehead for the Northern Earls
>Therefore - Catholics threats from abroad were far greater a threat than internal opp. who were silenced by the Act of Supremacy clause of the Settlement + the suppression of Catholic plots against E I - the execution of Norfolk after the Ridolfi Plot 1571 left English Catholics without an internal figurehead supporting the view that Catholic threat came from abroad

Para 2
>Whereas the Catholic threat from abroad proved to be a greater threat to E I’s authority - clearly the Papal Bull of Excommunication 1570 (Regnans in Excelsis) allowed for the open declaration of usurpation of E I
>Effects Bull can seen in the No. of Seminary priests arriving from Douai between 1575 + 1581 which increased from 11 to 100
>Consequently it can be said that the challenge to E I’s authority came as a result of MQS arrival in England + the Papal Bull of Excommunication - all previous threats based on doctrinal change = religious opp. in HofL
>The view that Catholics proved a significant threat to E I’s authority has been disproven by historians such as Doran who suggest “majority of Catholics in England were loyal to Elizabeth throughout her reign” - this can be seen by the lack of internal support for the Armada
>Catholic threat to E I’s authority derived from abroad + was largely unsuccessful after execution of MQS in 1587 + defeat of Armada 1588

Para 3
>On the other hand - Puritan challenge E I faced proved greater threat authority due to her pre-conceived judgements of puritans - Mervyn stating “E I herself made Puritanism more of a danger than it really was”
>Despite E I favour of a Erastian Church -she hoped to prevent repeat P of Grace 1536 + satisfy Catholics
>Therefore - easily seen that protestant’s who believed in a more stricter Calvinist in doctrine were a greater threat to her authority - although they did not seek to replace E I
>The parliamentary opp. that E I faced - particularly in 1572 + 1583 - demanded her to take greater action in suppressing the Browne led Presbyterian movement - the fact that E I was forced to come to Parl. And make a repudiation speech indicates the perceived threat of Puritanism - Collinson acknowledges this and suggests that the “Brownist movement assumed great proportions in Norfolk and Suffolk”

Para 4
>Furthermore - can be said that puritan threat heightened significantly under Cartwright - challenged E I directly with his unauthorised return to London + support of ‘Anonymous’ Martin Maprelate Tracts 1588-9
>Although the Puritans were successfully suppressed via Royal prerogative and Whitgift’s Articles re-affirming Clergy’s submission to E I - can be said the separatist movement challenged E I authority severely.
>The establishment of a Church Synod in Cambridge challenged the supremacy + demonstrated loyal + local support of Puritanism as Collinson suggests
>Although the separatist movement amounted to very little - can be seen as a clear indication of the increase in Puritanism throughout England + basis of the 1641 revolution + support for protestant James VI succession

Conclusion
>To conclude - although Catholic threat remained minimal throughout the earl part of E I reign due to the Settlement’s retention of clergy’s vestments - the threat intensified
>Catholic threat can mainly be seen as a threat from abroad which although, threatened E I authority - dissipated with the executions of Norfolk + MQS
>Modern historians eg. Collinson + Lake + Usher = puritan threat challenged E I’s authority greater through the Synod challenge to convocation + despite the executions of Browne/Greenwood the puritan movement remained present and anticipated the succession of protestant - James VI of Scot. - who would ensure full protestant doctrine in a statutory footing free from the remnants of Catholicism
>Collinson - “Protestants had grown tired of Elizabeth’s ambiguity”

Hope the Spoiler thing works
Reply 176
Original post by jjtt94
I would really like this question to come up and think something along those lines will, I've got a plan this sort of question if you can understand the abbreviations :P

‘Elizabeth I’s authority was threatened more by Puritan extremism than by Catholic opposition in the years 1559-1603.’ Assess the validity of this view.

Intro
>Puritan extremism existed in England mainly as a result of the Calvinised protestant elements of the Religious Settlement of 1559 - which had not been forceful enough in eradicating Marian Catholicism
>Whereas the Catholic threat that E I faced grew out of MQS arrival in England and foreign affairs - rather than an internal threat the E I’s authority
>Catholics were more successful opposing E I’s doctrine throughout early part of her reign eg. Northern Rebellion 1569 - whereas - puritans easily suppressed by E I’s Royal prerogative but proved greater threat to authority

Para 1
>On the one hand - as a result of the Settlement Catholic threat to E I’s authority was firmly neutralised through the pacification of Catholics - retention of doctrinal practices eg. Clergymen’s vestments
>However - the threat to E I’s authority was insignificant until the events instigated by foreign affairs - E I’s greatest Catholic threat to her authority was MQS - acted as figurehead for the Northern Earls
>Therefore - Catholics threats from abroad were far greater a threat than internal opp. who were silenced by the Act of Supremacy clause of the Settlement + the suppression of Catholic plots against E I - the execution of Norfolk after the Ridolfi Plot 1571 left English Catholics without an internal figurehead supporting the view that Catholic threat came from abroad

Para 2
>Whereas the Catholic threat from abroad proved to be a greater threat to E I’s authority - clearly the Papal Bull of Excommunication 1570 (Regnans in Excelsis) allowed for the open declaration of usurpation of E I
>Effects Bull can seen in the No. of Seminary priests arriving from Douai between 1575 + 1581 which increased from 11 to 100
>Consequently it can be said that the challenge to E I’s authority came as a result of MQS arrival in England + the Papal Bull of Excommunication - all previous threats based on doctrinal change = religious opp. in HofL
>The view that Catholics proved a significant threat to E I’s authority has been disproven by historians such as Doran who suggest “majority of Catholics in England were loyal to Elizabeth throughout her reign” - this can be seen by the lack of internal support for the Armada
>Catholic threat to E I’s authority derived from abroad + was largely unsuccessful after execution of MQS in 1587 + defeat of Armada 1588

Para 3
>On the other hand - Puritan challenge E I faced proved greater threat authority due to her pre-conceived judgements of puritans - Mervyn stating “E I herself made Puritanism more of a danger than it really was”
>Despite E I favour of a Erastian Church -she hoped to prevent repeat P of Grace 1536 + satisfy Catholics
>Therefore - easily seen that protestant’s who believed in a more stricter Calvinist in doctrine were a greater threat to her authority - although they did not seek to replace E I
>The parliamentary opp. that E I faced - particularly in 1572 + 1583 - demanded her to take greater action in suppressing the Browne led Presbyterian movement - the fact that E I was forced to come to Parl. And make a repudiation speech indicates the perceived threat of Puritanism - Collinson acknowledges this and suggests that the “Brownist movement assumed great proportions in Norfolk and Suffolk”

Para 4
>Furthermore - can be said that puritan threat heightened significantly under Cartwright - challenged E I directly with his unauthorised return to London + support of ‘Anonymous’ Martin Maprelate Tracts 1588-9
>Although the Puritans were successfully suppressed via Royal prerogative and Whitgift’s Articles re-affirming Clergy’s submission to E I - can be said the separatist movement challenged E I authority severely.
>The establishment of a Church Synod in Cambridge challenged the supremacy + demonstrated loyal + local support of Puritanism as Collinson suggests
>Although the separatist movement amounted to very little - can be seen as a clear indication of the increase in Puritanism throughout England + basis of the 1641 revolution + support for protestant James VI succession

Conclusion
>To conclude - although Catholic threat remained minimal throughout the earl part of E I reign due to the Settlement’s retention of clergy’s vestments - the threat intensified
>Catholic threat can mainly be seen as a threat from abroad which although, threatened E I authority - dissipated with the executions of Norfolk + MQS
>Modern historians eg. Collinson + Lake + Usher = puritan threat challenged E I’s authority greater through the Synod challenge to convocation + despite the executions of Browne/Greenwood the puritan movement remained present and anticipated the succession of protestant - James VI of Scot. - who would ensure full protestant doctrine in a statutory footing free from the remnants of Catholicism
>Collinson - “Protestants had grown tired of Elizabeth’s ambiguity”

Hope the Spoiler thing works

It didn't work.

(yes I did feel the need to quote the entire thing)
Has anyone got any predictions as to what can come up for the America boom bust and recovery unit ? Option C2 ? - and also any good ways of revision ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Does anyone have any examples of essays about the effectiveness of central/local government? If so, could you post them? We didn't cover this at all and I can't find any past paper questions whatsoever about it, but I'm worried that it might come up now and I've no idea what to say about it.

Also, does anyone know anything about factionalism under Edward & Mary?
Reply 179
could someone explain the monopolies issue to me? It wasnt covered greatly at my school-I know that Essex had a monopoly on sweet wine? (could be wrong) and that it was bad economically but wanting to know good specific knowledge

Also any ideas on how to prevent myself from repeating points as thats my downfall!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending