The Student Room Group

Few questions about studying in UK

Hello!

This is my first post here so i guess i will introduce myself.

My name is Adrian, I'm an 17 years old male and currently living in Sweden, I lived in Poland for around 13 years before i moved to Sweden with my parents (dad got a job here, and so it went on...).

But let's get to my history before i ask questions.. As I said I live in Sweden and have finished primary school (13-15 age), then I started something you probably call High School (16-18 age) but left after few months, and next year (this year) I started again in another school and again left after few months. The reason is that I have huge problems with Swedish, don't know why but just can't learn it, so i started focusing on learning English, I'd also love to go to UK on a language course. So my plans are to go to college in UK, not talking about some high-prestige schools but regular college, meet some new people my age, new culture and FINALLY leave this country where I currently live. The problem is that... as far as I know there are 2 types of colleges, one that you go when you're 16-18 years old, and the second 19-21(22) years old, i'm soon turning 18 and I'm not sure if I would be eligible to go to the 19-21 college as.. i don't know, maybe 20 year old man? Also i don't have diploma from 16-18 school (still secondary school i suppose?) and as I've read they're needed to go to the next college. Is there any way to get those diplomas without going 3 years 16-18 college or school? I'm not going to finish it in Sweden either. Maybe you would recommend me something else?

I hope my post will not be that chaotic and I'll get some tips and help :smile:
Cheers
Original post by Gigusx
Hello!

This is my first post here so i guess i will introduce myself.

My name is Adrian, I'm an 17 years old male and currently living in Sweden, I lived in Poland for around 13 years before i moved to Sweden with my parents (dad got a job here, and so it went on...).

But let's get to my history before i ask questions.. As I said I live in Sweden and have finished primary school (13-15 age), then I started something you probably call High School (16-18 age) but left after few months, and next year (this year) I started again in another school and again left after few months. The reason is that I have huge problems with Swedish, don't know why but just can't learn it, so i started focusing on learning English, I'd also love to go to UK on a language course. So my plans are to go to college in UK, not talking about some high-prestige schools but regular college, meet some new people my age, new culture and FINALLY leave this country where I currently live. The problem is that... as far as I know there are 2 types of colleges, one that you go when you're 16-18 years old, and the second 19-21(22) years old, i'm soon turning 18 and I'm not sure if I would be eligible to go to the 19-21 college as.. i don't know, maybe 20 year old man? Also i don't have diploma from 16-18 school (still secondary school i suppose?) and as I've read they're needed to go to the next college. Is there any way to get those diplomas without going 3 years 16-18 college or school? I'm not going to finish it in Sweden either. Maybe you would recommend me something else?

I hope my post will not be that chaotic and I'll get some tips and help :smile:
Cheers

In the UK

College = A supplier of further education, where you can go to after the end of compulsory secondary school to study A Levels, Btec, diplomas etc.

University (in America called "college")= Where you get a degree, examples of universities include Oxford, Cambridge, University College London to say a few.

To go to University you must have the qualifications that you get through continued secondary school called Sixth Form or college.

For Universities English students generally study A Levels, which last 2 years normally between the ages of 16 and 18.

You can go to University and college at any point in your life, most students go to University after the end of sixth form at ages 18 -21
Reply 2
Thanks for this information :smile:

Still I have few questions regarding it.

To go to college(I'm not yet interested in universities) i need to first finish the compulsory secondary school with ends at age 16, am I right? How do I get those degrees as an adult?

Also it's nice to know that I go to College at any point of my life, but for example If i want to get A-levels as an 20 year old, do I go to sixth form college or some "adult school" for people above specific age where people can get same diplomas as teenagers in first and second year college? I ask because I know that there are "adult schools" In U.S. and am not sure about how it looks in UK.

Sorry again for being chaotic :s-smilie:
Original post by Gigusx
Thanks for this information :smile:

Still I have few questions regarding it.

To go to college(I'm not yet interested in universities) i need to first finish the compulsory secondary school with ends at age 16, am I right? How do I get those degrees as an adult?

Also it's nice to know that I go to College at any point of my life, but for example If i want to get A-levels as an 20 year old, do I go to sixth form college or some "adult school" for people above specific age where people can get same diplomas as teenagers in first and second year college? I ask because I know that there are "adult schools" In U.S. and am not sure about how it looks in UK.

Sorry again for being chaotic :s-smilie:

In Sweden, you will have done compulsory education until around 16 years old? And you will have received qualifications from that, the equivalent of our GCSEs.

Well as a 20 year old, you will not go to a secondary school sixth form, most likely you will go to a college or a sixth form college. As a 20 year old, generally you will be surrounded by people the same age as you, or a little bit younger!

Generally, people study 4/3 A Levels (or equivalent) over a period of 2 years. Universities generally ask for 3 A Levels at a certain grade e.g. AAB as entry requirements.
Reply 4
Yeah, we finish it at age 15-16, but i'm not sure if these qualifications are equivalent to GCSE, I'll check it and let you know. Also if they aren't then I'll think about getting IGCSE here in Sweden, if they are available, in English and Math subjects, what do you think about it?
Also are there any known GCSE online tests or anything so I could just see how they look and so, you know what I mean, it might be a little lazy question but maybe someone knows where can I find it.

By the way.

I heard something about taking loan on your studies in higher education school, university for example, that you can take a loan and if you take ANY science courses then you don't have to pay it back, if you don't take any then you have to pay it back after your income is over 21k GBP.
What about sixth form college for 19+, can I get a loan on this one too?
Reply 5
Hi Adrian,

I'm currently studying for A Levels in the UK, so might be able to help with the info. I also speak Polish, so if you prefer I can write my posts in polish :smile:

RE: GCSE tests online
There are past papers available on every exam board's website (main exam boards are: AQA, OCR, Edexcel and couple of others). The syllabus of a subject depends on the exam board, but the GCSE certificates you get are all at the same level. Ie: GCSE English Language is offered by all three of the exam boards, but the syllabus is slightly different. The links below are to the specifications for each one, if you wanted to see past papers you can just Google 'GCSE <subject> <exam board> past papers' and plenty should come up.
OCR: http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_31041_kd_gcse_2010_spec.pdf
AQA: http://store.aqa.org.uk/resourceZone/pdf/english/AQA-4705-W-SP.PDF
Edexcel: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCSE2010/GCSE_EngLang_Spec_2012.pdf
The exam board is normally picked by the secondary school you'd attend in the UK. If you wanted to do your GCSEs while in Sweden, doing an online course could be a possibility as there are various sites that offer IGCSEs.

RE: IGCSEs
If your Swedish qualifications are GCSE equivalent, I'd advise you not to do IGSCEs but rather a Level 3 course online, which would be A Level equivalent. You could do A Levels online (4 subjects at AS, and 3 of the 4 at A2 as well), which at school would take 2 years, not sure how long the online courses would be. Or you could do an NVQ Level 3, which is a vocational qualification equivalent to A Levels and accepted by most Universities, but I am not sure how you'd be assessed, because as far as I know, there are some practical assessments, which could be a problem if you're not in the UK. So if you can move to the UK for a year or two before starting Uni here, it'd be a good idea to do the Level 3 courses locally as it'd then help with your UCAS application (the system for Uni applications in the UK) - teacher references, more support with Personal Statement etc.

RE: Students loans for 6th form
Check out the following two links (sorry I couldn't remember which age you fell into):
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/further-education/financial-support-for-further-education-students-16-19/
http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/further-education/financial-support-for-further-education-students-19/
But basically, if you do not have a Level 3 qualification, your course will be free no matter how old you are.

Hope this makes sense and helps you out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending