The Student Room Group

Self taught A levels

Hi, im self teaching myself Physics and Further maths A level, im wondering if Universities will accept my self taught physics A level.

I was thinking this because I will have little or no practical experience in A level, other than that of the two exams.

Will this be a problem or be looked down at by unis?

Can they tell that ive self taught it?
Reply 1
could I just ask who your doing the A levels through? and how much they were to sit yourself? Many thanks :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by whiteing
Hi, im self teaching myself Physics and Further maths A level, im wondering if Universities will accept my self taught physics A level.

I was thinking this because I will have little or no practical experience in A level, other than that of the two exams.

I don't know why they'd look down on a self-taught A level. More than anything they'll find it impressive that you've done it all independently.

Most importantly, if you get the grade then that's all that matters to be honest.
Reply 3
Original post by whiteing

I am also self teaching maths and economics, got offers from all 5 unis, so dont think they will look down as long as you get the grades. theres not wrong with self teaching
Reply 4
Original post by Emmense
could I just ask who your doing the A levels through? and how much they were to sit yourself? Many thanks :biggrin:

Doing then through AQA and edexcell, havnt sat anyfor edexcell yet tho. doing them through a local high school, the exams are 15-20 £ ish, not sure how much the practicals going to amount to tho :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Deiidara
I am also self teaching maths and economics, got offers from all 5 unis, so dont think they will look down as long as you get the grades. theres not wrong with self teaching

AH right nice :smile: guess ill just try and get the best grades and hope for the best :')
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
I don't know why they'd look down on a self-taught A level. More than anything they'll find it impressive that you've done it all independently.

Most importantly, if you get the grade then that's all that matters to be honest.

i was thinking that :smile: using it to my advantage :P just the lack of practicals might be a bit of a down side, hopefully itll balance out :smile:
Reply 7
that really is amazing, im sure the last thing unis will do is look down on you!, Im doing resits on a gap year and im pretty much teaching it myself and learning it again too! good luck for your exams!
I didn't realise you could self teach?
I've done a degree but I am thinkng about doing a degree in something else but I need chemistry and biology. But there are no local high schools/ colleges that will offer a levels to anyone over 18.
Would you mind giving me a little bit of information about how you went about it and stuff? I've done a degree which is all independent learning pretty much so I think I could do it
Reply 9
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
I didn't realise you could self teach?
I've done a degree but I am thinkng about doing a degree in something else but I need chemistry and biology. But there are no local high schools/ colleges that will offer a levels to anyone over 18.
Would you mind giving me a little bit of information about how you went about it and stuff? I've done a degree which is all independent learning pretty much so I think I could do it

decide on an exam board that you'd like to take your exam with, then go on there website and it will have a list of private candiate centres that accept private candidates, email them asking if you could sit your exams there, hopefully they'll say yes if not try another. if they do itll cost you around 20-25£ per exam(hopefully:P) and just study for them using a level books and online revision material.

Or you could take a foundation year which would only take a year , but it'd cost a years tuition :\ however if you get onto one, which if you already have a degree im sure you'd be able to, so long as you complete it your garanteed a place on a bsc or msc of your choice

Quick Reply

Latest