The Student Room Group

How to tell driving instructor you want to quit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you feel like your getting conned by a driving instructor I recommend you to the AA, they have always been cool :smile:
I'd be honest. When I was learning, I really didn't like the style of my instructor and I ended up telling him that I was going to take a break from driving altogether. Slightly awkward when he passed me driving through town with my new instructor just a few days later. :colondollar:
Text/ring him saying sorry I can't have any more lessons because I can't afford them. Then go with someone else.
I just said to mine, I'm busy for the next couple of weeks so I won't be booking anymore lessons and I think he got the hint.
If you were with this instructor you would deffo want to quit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACl8q6ZwUIA&feature=share
It is well known that students have different learning styles. But, only very rarely do teachers have different teaching styles or demonstrate the ability to adapt to the learning styles of different students. In fact, most teachers adopt the so-called, "my way or the highway" approach to teaching (no pun intended). It is your responsibility to take control of your learning - if you aren't getting what you need from an instructor then find someone more suitable. It's your money (or your parents) so demand value for money.

At the end of the day, you don't learn to drive by being told how to do it. If an instructor can get you to pay for 90 minutes whilst only delivering 40 minutes of actual hands on tuition, you are going to need more lessons which means he is quids in! I suggest you call up a range of instructors and ask them what they think is a reasonable split of verbal instruction to hands on tuition, then get them to stick to it.

Just be straight with your current teacher, "I'm not happy with your performance so far. I've looked on the open market at the alternatives available. I'm going with instructor Smith because he's promised to deliver x, y & z." This makes it hard for him to throw the usual taunt at you: "you won't get better elsewhere you know!" Understand that if he then promises to change his lessons to suit you, he is merely confirming that his strategy up to that point was to extract as much money out of you as he can and he doesn't want to see his little cash cow walk out of the door.
Reply 26
I had the exact same problem. I told the guy I was short of funds and just got someone else.
Just say you want to take time out for your studies or you haven't the money; they'll take the hint soon enough. :smile:
Original post by maturestudy
It is well known that students have different learning styles. But, only very rarely do teachers have different teaching styles or demonstrate the ability to adapt to the learning styles of different students. In fact, most teachers adopt the so-called, "my way or the highway" approach to teaching (no pun intended). It is your responsibility to take control of your learning - if you aren't getting what you need from an instructor then find someone more suitable. It's your money (or your parents) so demand value for money.

At the end of the day, you don't learn to drive by being told how to do it. If an instructor can get you to pay for 90 minutes whilst only delivering 40 minutes of actual hands on tuition, you are going to need more lessons which means he is quids in! I suggest you call up a range of instructors and ask them what they think is a reasonable split of verbal instruction to hands on tuition, then get them to stick to it.

Just be straight with your current teacher, "I'm not happy with your performance so far. I've looked on the open market at the alternatives available. I'm going with instructor Smith because he's promised to deliver x, y & z." This makes it hard for him to throw the usual taunt at you: "you won't get better elsewhere you know!" Understand that if he then promises to change his lessons to suit you, he is merely confirming that his strategy up to that point was to extract as much money out of you as he can and he doesn't want to see his little cash cow walk out of the door.

I have to disagree with your post. Firstly, the way that an instructor instructs is, at least in part, dictated by the DSA. There is a standard approach to instruction which is checked by the DSA on a regular basis. So the "my way or the Highway" approach is actually the DSA approach. If an instructor deviates too radically from the accepted approach they are not likely to be an instructor for very long! However, the manner of instruction can vary greatly. Some instructors are more laid back than others, some speak more directly than others, some less. There are as many styles of delivery as there are instructors.

I'd be interested to hear your definition of 40 minutes of hands-on instruction. I don't know what that is and I'm not sure how you'd measure it. How do you propose that instruction takes place without......err, instruction? If I sit in the car not saying anything for 5 minutes, is that because I am not instructng or because there is nothing that needs to be said?

If someone asked me what a reasonable split is, I would struggle to answer. Some people need more verbal instruction, some people need less. How on earth am I going to judge that from a distance? I have had pupils who achieve a given task having had a very short explanation. With others, I have had to explain it 10 times. This isn't because my instruction is poor, it's because everybody learns in a different way.

Learning to drive is a partnership between you and your instructor; it's not a lecture or a classroom. It requires a dialogue so that the instructor knows what you are thinking. It is therefore better to discuss right through your tuition the issues that you are facing. If your instructor is not fulfilling your requirements, the time to mention it is when it crops up, not when you have spent £300 and are royally p...ed off. Believe me you are doing yourself and the instructor a favour by discussing with them, at the earliest opportunity, the way that you feel. If they are good at their job, they will be open to that discussion.

However, remember that the instructor is the expert and know what they are doing. I encounter pupils who think they are brilliant and natural drivers and want to rush on to the next thing. Most of the time they are wrong and actually allowing them a bit of free rein soon teaches them that they are wrong and they feel acutely embarrassed as a result. I have too much invested in my business to allow somebody's over-inflated idea of their own ability to ruin it for me and everyone else. Yes, it's a partnership...but it's a partnership based on knowledge (the instructor) and the desire to learn (the pupil). You expect me to instruct so let me do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending