The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kclayton93
I did the Cold War paper, did the Eisenhower question since the Detente one seemed too hard! For the 40 marker I did the end of the Cold War one, I thought the sources were terrible though if anyone else agrees? Found it very hard to bring in Gorbachev's policies like Perestroika and Glasnost when he is barely mentioned, and not even in a context for those to be relevant.

Need 74/120 for an A so got my fingers crossed.

Sadly I have no idea how much I need for an A because I don't know my coursework marks, but I need 154/200 in A2 overall for an A :s-smilie:.

I did the Eisenhower question too which I thought was really cheeky of them! Thankfully I really like the confrontation vs. coexistence POV. I wrote about the Eisenhower and Dulles ideology, the containment policy and the arms race. Then I disagreed by quoting summits and stuff. A little nervy because I didn't get to include much of Khrushchev and I had to stuff him in a little here and there!

I did the end of the Cold War too and I agree that I find the sources ANNOYING. I felt like I didn't cross reference them well enough because they all seemed to agree with each other and I agree with them all! I don't know how else to put it... I'm especially annoyed with the third source because it made the argument for me and I didn't wanna quote it and be done with it. Gorby DID have to enact the reforms he did because of the Soviet economy. YEAH THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT. Roar.

Like a dousche, I finished Eisenhower faster than 55 minutes and I decide to write a little extra for the 30 mark question, and find that I had to rush the 40 mark question. I wanted to write more on Reagan but I didn't have the time! And I really lost momentum 2 paragraphs into Section B...

Oh pleeease let me get an A :frown:.
Reply 761
Did détente because there was no way I could write 30 marks on just Eisenhower! my main argument was that the improved sino-us relations promoted détente by exacerbating the already existing economic issues that undermined the USSR because of the expanding arms race etc so although Sino-Soviet pushed for detente, the main reason was underlying economic weakness in both the USSR and USA.

My part B was so, SO bad! Did the end of the cold war and to me the sources seemed v difficult as there wasn't really one resounding argument? I just said that although people power may have been the thing that tipped it over the edge, it was a manifestation of the economic problems and Gorbys new political thinking so they were the real reasons for the collapse of the cold war but my structure was SO BAD.

Awful paper!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ilovecatsforlife
Did anyone do Option D: The Challenge of Facism - Section A was the 1933-37 and the role of the Battle of the Atlantic and Section B was Chamberlain's policy of appeasement. Anyone?

Yeah I did. I did the appeasement question between
33-37 in section A and the Chamberlain question in part B. I thought the questions were pretty nice to be fair, hopefully done well.
Reply 763
Original post by partickler
Sadly I have no idea how much I need for an A because I don't know my coursework marks, but I need 154/200 in A2 overall for an A :s-smilie:.

I did the Eisenhower question too which I thought was really cheeky of them! Thankfully I really like the confrontation vs. coexistence POV. I wrote about the Eisenhower and Dulles ideology, the containment policy and the arms race. Then I disagreed by quoting summits and stuff. A little nervy because I didn't get to include much of Khrushchev and I had to stuff him in a little here and there!

I did the end of the Cold War too and I agree that I find the sources ANNOYING. I felt like I didn't cross reference them well enough because they all seemed to agree with each other and I agree with them all! I don't know how else to put it... I'm especially annoyed with the third source because it made the argument for me and I didn't wanna quote it and be done with it. Gorby DID have to enact the reforms he did because of the Soviet economy. YEAH THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT. Roar.

Like a dousche, I finished Eisenhower faster than 55 minutes and I decide to write a little extra for the 30 mark question, and find that I had to rush the 40 mark question. I wanted to write more on Reagan but I didn't have the time! And I really lost momentum 2 paragraphs into Section B...

Oh pleeease let me get an A :frown:.

I did Eisenhower and wrote about what you did but argued it was on face value confrontational and then behind the scenes it was coexistence - used summits etc. didn't really use khrushchev that much only that he visited, i placed more emphasis that he had to seem hard line to the public and the american senate so that he didn't come under huge pressure like truman did, said about massive retaliation, brinkmanship, said how the arms race build up was central to his policy but it was meant to be a deterrent rather than confrontational but the soviets did see this as threatening,

I DID NOT understand the other question, i was like :s so thats why i answered eisenhower!

I did the end of the cold war, like you spent a bit more time on section A as i needed to properly plan that one if you get what i mean? i too found the sources HORRIFIC i ran out of time so put a conclusion on, really didn't write that much for long-term economic weaknesses, tried to keep relating it back to the popular protests throughout though :frown: I feel that I rushed a bit through Reagan BUT THERE WAS NOTHING substantial of him in the sources "/

I just need a D or 54 UMS in this paper to keep a B I'm thinking that I have to get approx 35 marks?! god i hope i have done well on the first one so i only have to get like 15-20 marks on the second!! :frown:

do you think they'll be more willing to give marks on the sources marking this year?
Reply 764
I am a bit glad that people are saying they found section B hard and some of their structure,

how much do you think i'll get marked down for, for not including long term economic weaknesses?
French revolution people? I did the Bourbon question and Louis controversy. But I've done nowhere near enough for what I need.
I did the Cold War paper, did the Eisenhower question since the Detente one seemed too hard! For the 40 marker I did the end of the Cold War one, I thought the sources were terrible though if anyone else agrees? Found it very hard to bring in Gorbachev's policies like Perestroika and Glasnost when he is barely mentioned, and not even in a context for those to be relevant.

Yeah completely agree the sources were awful. The problem was none of them held any particular overall view so you had to be very selective in what you quoted from them!
Reply 767
Original post by yakuzakitty
I'm sure it'll be fine :smile: What grade do you need overall and what have you got in the other modules?

I need a B overall. But I only need a C in this paper to get a B overall:smile: I got BBA for other 3 units. But coursework marks can always change....
Reply 768
Original post by t-v-
I need a B overall. But I only need a C in this paper to get a B overall:smile: I got BBA for other 3 units. But coursework marks can always change....

What is your UMS mark overall at the moment (the 3 units?)
Reply 769

YESSS! The sources were TERRIBLE!!!!! I think my part B was awful.. I couldn't really include the role of leaders because the sources didn't really support this point. UGHHH
Reply 770
Original post by Fliss.p
What is your UMS mark overall at the moment (the 3 units?)

About 220 ish..
Reply 771
Original post by t-v-
About 220 ish..

I've got 226, in exact same position...hopefully be ok and we both get our B's!
Reply 772
I did the Challenge to Fascism paper, thought option D1, though it was ok. I didn't need that much for an A but think the A* is out of the question. So happy about the WW1 controversy

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I did q3 on the personal rule, the more and more I've thought about it, the more I worry, coz I could t think I much in the final three years apart from what happened in 1637, or any major opposition in the years before but I tried to link the two and say how prior events had an effect on the later ones...

I did q8 on political stability as we only got taught one side, I thought it was quite hard as the sources didn't really offer much and I thought all of them kinda missed the key issue of his relation with the army?!
what did everyone think?
Cold War

For Section A I did Detente:

My first paragraph was that Sino-US was the main factor in promoting Detente. Sino US relations meant that the USSR felt threatened that the USA would side with the Chinese in a Sino-Soviet conflict. After Khrushchev's visit to China in 64 he said "conflict with China is inevitable". Thus, leading the USSR to desire Detente to stop this. Furthermore, the USA wanted Detente as it meant the pressure exerted onto USSR by Sino-US rapprochement would lead to concessions for the USA.

Second para: Yet, the underlying issue was the fear of war which lay beneath Sino-US rapprochement as a main factor. It was the fear of war the USSR had against a joint allied force of US and China which promoted Detente. Furthermore, the delivery systems of weapons had got so advanced that by 1969, total nuclear warfare would mean in most cases, human extinction. (I wrote a para about the Cuban Missile Crisis but then crossed it out as the dates were 69-75). Then I wrote about the ever escalating arms race. Thus the fear of war was more significant that Sino-US rapprochement.

Third para: Then, linked in fear-driven arms race became too larger burden for the USA and the USSR economically. Which was the most significant reason for the promotion of Detente. Although the USA had saved money by Sino-US relations (withdrawal from Taiwan, less supportive of SEATO), it was still struggling financially. Thus is signalled by the urban riots happening in the USA at the time, and how much spending (12% of the overall GNP) went on arms. However, i said it was more of a burden for the USSR who's overcommitment to the arms race meant that it was in deficit spending. 1/3 of econon went on arms spending etc etc all about the USSR's problems. Thus, it was ultimately economics caused by the overcommitment to defence spending. I then threw in a little bit about Eastern European needs acting as external pressures to the USSR and the USA but literally didn't write much on that (just about political instability, Ostpolitik)

Conclusion: Although Sino-US rapprochement exerted pressure on the USSR for Detente, and meant the USA could get meaningful concessions it was ultimately fear-driven arms race becoming too larger burden economically which caused Detente.

Section B

I actually really liked this question - I thought the sources were good and there was opportunity to cross reference/compare/contrast/critique.

I generally wrote that it was the failure of communist ideology which encompasses the moral, political and economic failures of the SU which lead to the end of the Cold War. Ultimately economics though. I spoke about popular protest, but how it was only significant in undermining the "soviet bloc", not the "Soviet Union", thus having little part in ending the Cold War. I wrote that its biggest significance and role in ending the cold war was demonstrating the failure of communist ideology.

I then wrote it would not have been possible without good old Gorby. Then wrote about Reagan but critiqued Source 11 as it did not mention in Reagan's 1st term he was committed to bankrupting and exerting much pressure on the USSR as possible. Then just went on like that.

Overall I was happy with the paper - I need an A* so eeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
I did q3 on the personal rule, the more and more I've thought about it, the more I worry, coz I could t think I much in the final three years apart from what happened in 1637, or any major opposition in the years before but I tried to link the two and say how prior events had an effect on the later ones...

I did q8 on political stability as we only got taught one side, I thought it was quite hard as the sources didn't really offer much and I thought all of them kinda missed the key issue of his relation with the army?!
what did everyone think?

I did Q3 as well, but I may have misinterpreted the question because i just focused on the last 3 years, bar Ship Money and certain feudal dues. Hence, I now think that the answer I wrote isn't good enough etc etc.

I'm sure you did your best.
Reply 776
Original post by Cassius
Yes well it looks like you made a good choice - I can't imagine living in Murray Edwards for 3 years!

Wow AAA from Exeter is amazing! UCL is my insurance although I don't really want to go there... I'm just trying not to think about missing my offer too much.

How did your exam go? :smile:
Original post by WannabeDoctor
Yeah I did. I did the appeasement question between
33-37 in section A and the Chamberlain question in part B. I thought the questions were pretty nice to be fair, hopefully done well.

This exam made me so sad!

I did the Battle of the Atlantic and the Controversy 2 question, kind of wish I'd done the first one now :frown:)

The questions were nice - it's always nice when you open a paper and you know what and who everybody is, but I'm pretty sure I totally screwed it up :frown: My structure, particularly for the controversy was so so bad, just all over the place.

You know when you're writing and in your head you're like 'Do not write this, Olivia. Seriously, stop writing. Right now. You don't want to write this.' But your hand just keeps on going, making you sound like an imbecile. I know that they were nowhere near as good as timed essays I've done before now :frown: I really wish my school would tell us what we got in our cw. They're going to regret predicting me that A*.
Original post by mahjongmagic
I did Q3 as well, but I may have misinterpreted the question because i just focused on the last 3 years, bar Ship Money and certain feudal dues. Hence, I now think that the answer I wrote isn't good enough etc etc.

I'm sure you did your best.

Well the wording was kinda weird so you could be right too! ah I feel like I put so much time into revising this and it didn't really pay off, need an a* but I think I can say goodbye to uni now haha
Reply 779
Original post by katherine9
me too :frown: cant wait for it to be over..its gna be a long night haha!

Hope you did well on the Wyatt question! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending