The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA History B Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by the A* guy
I does not work like that, Grades are given based on UMS marks, NOT Raw marks.

For unit 1, you got 60/60 in raw marks, which is 90/90, (also anyone who gets 49 -60/60 achieves 90/90 in UMS marks, so just because you got 90/90, DOES NOT mean that you got 60/60 in the exam)

For course work if u achieved an A*, in UMS marks the is at least 54/60.

the WHOLE course is about out 240 UMS marks, with 216 being the boundary for an A*. You have 144/240 at this moment in time. 216-144 = 72 marks. So, 72 UMS mark is what you need to achieve to get an A* overall, 72(ums) = about 39 (raw marks),

So you need 39/60 RAW MARKS. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I Like It Up Da Batty Crease

Thank You :biggrin:
Reply 381
Original post by Starrstruck
Good luck to everyone doing the exam tomorrow. Our hands will probably die but hopefully we'll all get the grade we want. :smile:

No.

Hands wont die you will fail Biology by sounds of it
any ideas for the new deal/depression 12 marker?
Could anyone help with structure of the 4 mark inference question, I know it's suppose to be a doddle, but I've always found it tricky
Reply 384
Original post by 0072121
Hopefully thats not too hard is it?
But there is not anything on povity in roaring 20s?

I hope not :/ and yeah everything to do with farmers, immigrants, blacks and old industries
Original post by tedwardpowell
Could anyone help with structure of the 4 mark inference question, I know it's suppose to be a doddle, but I've always found it tricky

i don't think its a question that particularly needs a structure. i just kind of do a sentence are too on what the source is saying, for which you get two marks, and then infer something deeper and add in a couple of facts about what you are saying, and that gets you another two marks :smile:
Reply 386
Original post by tedwardpowell

Firstly this source show... (insert quote).. this suggests....
Secondly this source show... (insert quote).. this suggests....
Lastly this source show... (insert quote).. this suggests....
Don't use your own knowledge
:smile:
Reply 387
Original post by ellanokesy
any ideas for the new deal/depression 12 marker?

My teacher reckons something like this..
The Second World War was more successful at ending the depression than the New Deal. How far do you agree?
I can't see it being anything else because the election was last year. Hopefully it's that

Or maybe something like.. the worst effect of the depression was unemployment how far do you agree?
although there isn't much to write about
What do people think wll come up for vietnam!?!?!?
Reply 389
What would u write for 'how did hitler become chancellor?'
Original post by sarah-lo
My teacher reckons something like this..
The Second World War was more successful at ending the depression than the New Deal. How far do you agree?
I can't see it being anything else because the election was last year. Hopefully it's that

Or maybe something like.. the worst effect of the depression was unemployment how far do you agree?
although there isn't much to write about

thank you! i'm planning the second world war one now :smile: do you think 'hoover was to blame for the depression' will come upl? and what do you think will come up for the eight marker? i'm thinking either 'how did the use fall into depression' or or 'explain why hoover was unpopular?' i'm not too sure though :s-smilie:
Original post by Vorsah
What would u write for 'how did hitler become chancellor?'

I'd talk about how he consolidated power by eliminating opposition. Reichstag fire allowed Hitler to pass the Law for the protection for the state which in turn let him remove communists from the reichstag. Then the enabling act in March 1933 let Hitler pass laws without consulting the Reichstag at all (after it they only met rarely to hear Hitler speak). The Night of the long knives eliminated Rohm and the SA who Hitler thought were dangerous and could challenge his power. After Hindenbrug died Hitler became the Chancellor and President - Furher, and made the army swear an oath so now nobody could challenge him.

There are other factors such as the Great Depression making Nazi polices popular and the weaknesses of the Weimar Govt which Hitler exploited. Propaganda was also handled well by Goebbels and the SS and Gestapo established firm control - people never spoke out against Nazis.

I think what your looking for is mainly in the first paragraph I wrote but there are also other factors you can take into account. Hope this helped :biggrin:
Can anyone give me a clear structure and what to include for the 8 mark questions in section 2? I've checked in the mark scheme and I don't think you need to use the source too extensively - it seems to be mainly own knowledge. So does anyone have any tips for me? Much appreciated, these are my worst questions.

Oh and for the inference do we quote the source directly? E.g The source shows us that .......... and from this we can conclude..

I'm doing New Deal, Roaring 20s and Hitler's Germany if that helps
Reply 393
Original post by ellanokesy
thank you! i'm planning the second world war one now :smile: do you think 'hoover was to blame for the depression' will come upl? and what do you think will come up for the eight marker? i'm thinking either 'how did the use fall into depression' or or 'explain why hoover was unpopular?' i'm not too sure though :s-smilie:

I hope we don't get one about Hoover being to blame because theres not much to write about, what would you put in it just incase it does come up?
For 8 marker, it could be the effects of the depression which would be a good one! Also why Roosevelt was elected such as a picture of him doing a tour. And if the essay isnt on the New Deal then it could be some men doing work. Last year it was a cartoon about opposition so doubt it would be that :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by benpearson1
Can anyone give me a clear structure and what to include for the 8 mark questions in section 2? I've checked in the mark scheme and I don't think you need to use the source too extensively - it seems to be mainly own knowledge. So does anyone have any tips for me? Much appreciated, these are my worst questions.

Oh and for the inference do we quote the source directly? E.g The source shows us that .......... and from this we can conclude..

I'm doing New Deal, Roaring 20s and Hitler's Germany if that helps

I'm doing exactly same topics! :smile: For 8 mark treat it like a factor question. They are giving you one factor to answer the question then tell them the other factors. (treat it like a clue from the exam board) For example if its about the Hitler youth and it asks how Hitler gained support through education and youth movements. Talk about the photo, shows unity, uniform, trips away, obedience, loyalty. then from your own knowledge talk about other things to do with HY. Then the LOGM and how he changed education. Does that make sense? :tongue:

for 4 marker. do this
this source shows... (use quote).. this suggests x3
I'm really worried for the 10 mark source :frown:
Good luck tomorrow!
Original post by Vincent-1995
All you need to do is split it into sections;

Economic benefit;
-Unemployment decreased from 6 million- practically zero. This is only because the statistics were created by Nazis and they managed to take Jews and women off the uneployment list, therefore, ignoring them in society. However, they did do some things, they made 7000km of roads throughout Germany, and by 1939 the German Labour Front had 44,500 paid officials.
-Hitler also increased the amout of men in the army from 100,000(1933) to 1.4 million (1939) therefore getting rid of the humiliating part of the treaty of versailles.
- Finally, Hitler's aim was to make Germany self-sufficient (they fully support themselves) (four year plan, 1936) however he reaslised he relied heavily on Sweedish iron-ore and food still being imported.He decided it would be easier if he invaded the places he was getting vital resources from and therefore he would be self-sufficient. the nazi ploicy of "lebensraum" would be completed.

Socially;

- Small businesses benefitted because their competition (Jewish shops) had been abolished.
- Big businesses were benefitting from the large construction projects Hitler was planning in Germany.
- "Strength through joy"= workers getting rewarded and experiencing things only the upper classes may have experienced. Also, encouraged to purchase a car to stimulate industry.

Culturally;

-Books, plays and modern art were censored to meet the Nazi requirement. Many scientists and authours fled the country to escape the life of constant fear. Most famously, Albert Einstein

Effects on women;
- Kinder, Kirche, Kuche
-Made to quit jobs
-a loan to married couples if the female gave up work (1,000 marks) and 1/4 of the loan was paid off when a child was born.
-Made to dress plainly, make up discouraged and slimming was frowned upon as you needed to be healthy to have a child

Jews;
- 1933=one- day- boycott of shops
-1934- anit jew propagand increased
-1935- The Neurenburg laws
-1936- taken down slogans, the olympic games needed to ppromote a positive image
-1937- Hitler spoke out against Jews
-1938;
-They were no longer allowed to treat aryan's
-Had to wear a 'j' on their passport
-Kristallnacht

Soory for going on a bit! Hope this helps, sorry if not!:frown:

Hey, thanks for this post I found it very helpful. Anyway I was hoping you might be able to help me on a couple of things since you seemed to know your stuff pretty well?
Firstly who would you say benefitted from Nazi rule and why? Also any predictions you have on the questions would be great.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. Already given rep, will again when I can. Thanks:smile:
Original post by sarah-lo
I'm doing exactly same topics! :smile: For 8 mark treat it like a factor question. They are giving you one factor to answer the question then tell them the other factors. (treat it like a clue from the exam board) For example if its about the Hitler youth and it asks how Hitler gained support through education and youth movements. Talk about the photo, shows unity, uniform, trips away, obedience, loyalty. then from your own knowledge talk about other things to do with HY. Then the LOGM and how he changed education. Does that make sense? :tongue:

for 4 marker. do this
this source shows... (use quote).. this suggests x3
I'm really worried for the 10 mark source :frown:
Good luck tomorrow!

Sorry, only just saw this! Anyway what you wrote seems really helpful so thanks a lot. At first I didn't understand what you meant with the factors but your explanation was helpful. Could you use evidence from the source to also support what you're saying or is that a bit like the 4 marker? E.g The Hitler Youth was hugely popular amongst children as shown in source B (bad example, I know)

and for the 10 mark source question I always found it quite easy so hopefully we can help each other! What I do is first talk about what the source shows and and how/why it is useful and then use your own knowledge to support this. Then just argue the opposite (without contradicting) and say why it's not useful because (usually) it doesn't show other factors that may be involved. It's also important to evaluate the purpose and provenance in the limitations/utility.

Did you do the Controlled Assessment Unit for History? Basically it's just like that:
1) Useful because... (O/K)
2) Limited because (O/K)
3) Reach some kind of a brief conclusion - e.g overall this source is very valuable as it is contemporary and accurately demonstrates....
Reply 397
Nope thats good, its like providing evidence. :smile: thank you i get it a bit more now, just worried we will get a really hard one :frown: What do you think it could be on? I'm thinking maybe a cataloge and asking about living standards but I'm not sure what i would write about :/
Reply 398
People doing 30's America (Depression) I'd recommend focusing on the Alphabet Agencies; sounds simplistic but they haven't asked about it yet so my guess is that they will be heavily involved with the 12 marker.
Reply 399
Original post by LuckyA
People doing 30's America (Depression) I'd recommend focusing on the Alphabet Agencies; sounds simplistic but they haven't asked about it yet so my guess is that they will be heavily involved with the 12 marker.

What do you think it will be? other than something like ... the second world war was more successful than the new deal at ending the depression?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending