The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh god this same thing happens to me . It also happens after exercise or sweat. Funny enough when I swim my body doesn’t itch. It helps me when I cover my body from the air. I hate it so much that it makes me not want to take a bath
Reply 41
Omg I’ve been dealing with this problem for years and I just got out of the shower and my legs were itchy AF
Reply 42
Try an in-shower body moisturiser lotion like the Nivea one and scrub your legs twice a week with a body scrub or brown sugar
Reply 43
After showering .. It's about 25 minutes of intense itch in my lower legs , under the knee.. then 5 minutes of gradually getting better until it disappear .. and am at these 5 minutes ,, what a relief .. feels like getting out of hell ..there's no itch at all when i go to swim pools , and i once got it when i woke up with so much sweet on me then got out on the balcony, it was windy , and i got itchy like if i just got out of shower , lasted the same time. When my body temp change i get a bit itchy in the same place.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
hi TSR,

For the last couple of years I have been experiencing itchyness upon getting out of the shower, particularly on my legs. I have tried using a variety of different soaps, including neutral shower gels with no aromas etc, different ways of applying the soaps from shower buns to plain hands, different water pressures, different temperatures, different ways of drying myself and different lengths of showers.

whatever I have tried, I become very itchy in the leg region for up to 45 minutes after starting to dry myself, to the extent I often end up on the floor in a ball trying to cover as much of my body as I can. I have even been late for school because I have been too preoccupied with my legs to cope with leaving on time, and I can get quite distressed, often crying and feeling angry withmyself. Once I have even made myself bleed trying to itch.

i did think at one point it was a soap, from Lush cosmetics, that triggered it, but this seems a bit unlikely. something else to note, I am 17 right now, so when this started happening, i was developing leg hair. Could it be the issue? has anybody had any experience of this problem? i was thinking of waxing my legs, although this would be quite extreme. Should I seriously consider this?

If anyone could help, i would be very grateful.

(anon or delete please)

it looks like onychomycosis or pruritus. you should go to the doctor
I've had this problem since my early teens (I'm now in my 40s), and for years it was horrible. Almost everytime after taking a shower I'd have an unbearable itch in my lower legs, to the point that I could do NOTHING until it went away, just felt like scratching and screaming for half an hour. Hardly a sustainable condition.I don't know the cause, but I figured out what always avoided the itch: immediately after getting out of the shower and drying myself, put my pants on. Having my legs covered after showering avoids the problem 100%. Once in a while I don't do it, and can start to feel the itch coming, but jumping into my pants stops it.For me it was a surprisingly simple fix, has made this condition, whatever it is, to have no impact in my life anymore. Hope this helps someone.
I had this for many years until my wife solved the problem. She mentioned that I rarely drink water. Instead, I drank tea coke or beer. Your skin is an organ (the largest) and needs water like all other organs. Try drinking more water. This was 6 years ago and I can always tell when I have not had enough water because the feeling will start to come back.
This is a really old thread so I'm going to close it now. Try drinking more water or using a different shower gel, or moisturiser.

Latest