The Student Room Group

Computing EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)

So my college has started our A2 levels 4 weeks before the summer holidays so when we come back we have already started the courses.

My Question to anyone who is doing a EPQ in computing is, What do you think you will be doing? Im just curious.

Personaly I'm going to be doing a game created in Java.
Reply 1
Isn't the EPQ a dissertation, and thus creating a game for it would be inappropriate? :L
Reply 2
Original post by pixelfrag
Isn't the EPQ a dissertation, and thus creating a game for it would be inappropriate? :L

No, you can either create a report as your final piece (I think around 5000 words) or you can create a product with a 1000 word report. A game would be completely suitable if the OP is doing the latter option.
Reply 3
I wouldn't recommend it. I created a really basic IRC bot in C but they requested that all the code be printed out and it all has to be understandable in layman's terms which isn't easy to do.
I'm also doing a Java EPQ, however not a game but just a simple application like a notepad, because remember the EPQ is mainly research, you have to show exactly how when and from where you got your research and how it helped etc... Keep it simple and go into detail on how you did it, you don't want to lose marks on a crazy over complex project.
Reply 5
I did mine last year. Created a game that simulates hacking. Users were expected to work their way up the ranks. They gained cash and rep for each "job" they do. They use the cash to buy better hardware and the rep gives them access to more intricate missions. First few missions are html basics. Gets increasingly difficult up to having to pull data from databases, deleting logs and traces etc. Getting caught would cost the players rep and cash. Not an original idea but heyho.

Was all that necessary? No. But I had the source code half finished anyway at that point since I was doing the game on the side as a hobby, so not much effort went into it as an EPQ.

Java sounds reasonable. I used C. No particular reason, in the end of the day it's down to personal preference.

My only real advice would be, don't focus so much on the program that you forget your EPQ. 90% of the EPQ is about the research and execution. You will receive very little credit for the actual artefact. Lots of the EPQ people in my sixth form who did computing related topics, fell into the trap of thinking that the snazzier their software, the more marks they get, whilst in fact this is very far from the truth.
Reply 6
Original post by tamimi
I did mine last year. Created a game that simulates hacking. Users were expected to work their way up the ranks. They gained cash and rep for each "job" they do. They use the cash to buy better hardware and the rep gives them access to more intricate missions. First few missions are html basics. Gets increasingly difficult up to having to pull data from databases, deleting logs and traces etc. Getting caught would cost the players rep and cash. Not an original idea but heyho.

Was all that necessary? No. But I had the source code half finished anyway at that point since I was doing the game on the side as a hobby, so not much effort went into it as an EPQ.

Java sounds reasonable. I used C. No particular reason, in the end of the day it's down to personal preference.

My only real advice would be, don't focus so much on the program that you forget your EPQ. 90% of the EPQ is about the research and execution. You will receive very little credit for the actual artefact. Lots of the EPQ people in my sixth form who did computing related topics, fell into the trap of thinking that the snazzier their software, the more marks they get, whilst in fact this is very far from the truth.

can i play your game if that is possible. i'm learning to program and i've just started on html.
Reply 7
Original post by non
can i play your game if that is possible. i'm learning to program and i've just started on html.

Hi Non. I have no license to publish the game.

I've been observing your other posts recently. Just would like to let you know, there are different types of computer languages and types of "Code".

HTML is web-centric. What I mean by that is you can't use it to make games and programs, only websites.

Programs are built using more intricate languages like C and Python.

So if you're looking to start learning to build games and software, HTML is a good stepping stone but it will not do the job.

Sin Cera
Tamimi
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tamimi
Hi Non. I have no license to publish the game.

I've been observing your other posts recently. Just would like to let you know, there are different types of computer languages and types of "Code".

HTML is web-centric. What I mean by that is you can't use it to make games and programs, only websites.

Programs are built using more intricate languages like C and Python.

So if you're looking to start learning to build games and software, HTML is a good stepping stone but it will not do the job.

Sin Cera
Tamimi

thanks i am just going through thenewbostons tutorials on XHTML and CSS. i really like his tutorials, i am on ep 12 so far. afterwards i will try out his tutorials on python.

thanks for your help in the other thread.

what do you mean that you have no license to publish the game. what license do you need?
Reply 9
Original post by non
thanks i am just going through thenewbostons tutorials on XHTML and CSS. i really like his tutorials, i am on ep 12 so far. afterwards i will try out his tutorials on python.

thanks for your help in the other thread.

what do you mean that you have no license to publish the game. what license do you need?

When designing large complicated games, programmer often use source codes and/or "Game Engines" to design their games.

A Game Engine gives you the layout, like a blank world which you can build in. This makes production about a million times easier, because you have to do far less coding, but in exchange, if you choose to use a Game Engine to publish a game, you are required to purchase a license from the people who made the Engine. Prices vary depending on the game engine, how complicated it is, what is your game, is it commercial, is it web based... et cetera. Many factors go into this.

Examples of Game Engines include "Unity" and "UnReal UDK". Both are free to download and use but if you choose to publish a game, you are required to pay a fee.

Sin Cera
Tamimi
the gaming industry is veeeeeeeeeeeeery competitive, you're only hired as a programmer, generally, if you are very good. i think in the CS industry its really important to keep your options open, learn anything you can that can make you some money i suppose.

but in some ways you may not be brilliant but may have a good idea, look at the Apps for ipods/phone etc, the market is exploding and programmers with sharp eyes caught on quick. most sell for less than a pound but because popularity of that area is so huge even small amounts for apps can make shed loads.

so imo, if you want to make real money, you need a business aspect- and be very aware of whats new
Reply 11
Thanks for all the replies guys :smile: very useful and yes I'm keeping the games simple, maybe just an easy side scrolling game with a couple of levels. But I know I can do a lot of research into it :smile:
Reply 12
My computing teacher urged all of us to not do anything other than a dissertation, as it ends up being much more difficult - so, I chose to do an EPQ on AI.
Reply 13
Original post by steveholt
My computing teacher urged all of us to not do anything other than a dissertation, as it ends up being much more difficult - so, I chose to do an EPQ on AI.

haha well to late for me :P
Reply 14
Hi,

I'm looking to do my EPQ on the consumer surplus between buying an off-the-shelf PC, and building one of the same specifications, by yourself.

Do you think this is a worthy topic at all? I've been building high-end, custom gaming, video-editing and other graphic intensive PCs for the best part of 10 years. It makes me rage when I see friends buying off-the-shelf PCs for extortionate prices when I can build them the same thing for about 30% less. Since I'm fluent in building PCs and computer hardware in general, I thought it might be useful to base my EPQ around this.

I think the research will be based on the price of the parts of each hardware; both OEM and single-piece prices - and how much it'll cost to configure a PC, as opposed to it's branded counterpart.

Thank you for your time,

Rashid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending