The Student Room Group

Rude approach to employer?

The company that I'm soon to start working for required me to get a form completed by both myself and my manager, and send it back to them. The job location is a too far away and costs a bit too much for me to justify just visiting for five minutes to hand deliver this form.

Therefore, I instead completed my part, then sent the form to them along with a letter that politely requests that they complete the form and then send it back to me as soon as possible, plus an envelope with my address and the appropriate stamp already on it so it's not going to cost them anything.

Was this a rude approach?
Perfectly reasonable and quite considerate if you explained your circumstance.
Reply 2
Original post by Robinson's_Crusade
The company that I'm soon to start working for required me to get a form completed by both myself and my manager, and send it back to them. The job location is a too far away and costs a bit too much for me to justify just visiting for five minutes to hand deliver this form.

Therefore, I instead completed my part, then sent the form to them along with a letter that politely requests that they complete the form and then send it back to me as soon as possible, plus an envelope with my address and the appropriate stamp already on it so it's not going to cost them anything.

Was this a rude approach?

Not at all, you were kind enough to provide them with a stamp when they probably have freepost. And they'd understand that it would be impractical for you to travel a distance just to hand in a form.
Original post by NuckingFut
Perfectly reasonable and quite considerate if you explained your circumstance.

I didn't explain it all in the letter, just included the 'please complete the form at earliest convenience and send it back' part. But they know I don't live ten minutes away, I'm reasonably distant... :s-smilie:

Original post by RyJ
Not at all, you were kind enough to provide them with a stamp when they probably have freepost. And they'd understand that it would be impractical for you to travel a distance just to hand in a form.

I will admit, it wasn't entirely selfless, sending the envelope and stamp - I also figured I'd get it back a bit quicker, because I paid for first class.

And yeah, it's a good hour and a half away. Fine for actually working, but a bit much for a brief "Hello, could you please fill this in? Thanks, bye" visit.
I didn't explain it all in the letter, just included the 'please complete the form at earliest convenience and send it back' part. But they know I don't like ten minutes away... :s-smilie:

Ah, maybe you should have done that. Just let them know next time you call or see them
Original post by NuckingFut
Ah, maybe you should have done that. Just let them know next time you call or see them

That'll probably be when I start working... :s-smilie:

They know I live about 45 miles away, is it something that really needed laying out? I have met them all already, it's not like this is 'first contact'.
Reply 6

They know I live about 45 miles away, is it something that really needed laying out? I have met them all already, it's not like this is 'first contact'.

It'll be fine; they'll understand. That's effectively the distance from Glasgow to Edinburgh, and you wouldn't drive that distance for a 5 second interaction.

Well theres really nothing to worry about! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending