The Student Room Group

The University of Aberdeen MB ChB Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ~EventHorizon~
You can do your intercalacted year at an other uni? I had no idea, what are the options if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:

You can apply to do so. Only four people from my year intercalated away, and that's a lot more than usual. You have to be ranked high enough in your year group to be allowed to intercalate at all (though generally everyone who wants to intercalate can do at some point), and once you have the uni's permission you apply directly to the uni you want to go to (though only a few take externals - Imperial, Barts, Kings, BSMS, Bristol and Bham, that I can recall) with a transcript, references, personal statements etc. It's a good chance to do something different - I did biomedical engineering and a friend did a masters in public health.

Original post by Caponester
What a piece of nonsense. Find a bunch of people a similar age to yourself and don't take life too seriously for the first couple of weeks. Aberdeen has a phenomenal night life; just think of how easy it will be to go on the pull in places like Tiger Tiger or Liquid.

But if you absolutely insist upon doing the pub thing then there are plenty of places around and I'm sure a fair number of 20 something grads who prefer the quieter life.

Congratulations on your offer by the way!

How long since you went out in Aberdeen?? Liquid no longer exists :tongue:
5 o'clock couldn't come any slower.. haha
Original post by catherinelynsey
5 o'clock couldn't come any slower.. haha

T minus 9 minutes! D:
I bet we'll all be disappointed because it won't be 5pm....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammie Dodgers
I bet we'll all be disappointed because it won't be 5pm....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably! I don't know if I can wait another day though hah
Original post by xvelox
:colondollar:hey guys i know you lot might be biased on this particular page. However, I have unconditionals from both StAndrews and Aberdeen and I am struggling to choose. I think Standrews course is slightly odd but then its a fantastic university. I love Aberdeen but its further away from home. Please help me decide ahaha, I need good reasoning behind this hige decision.

Original post by Swist
Hi Xvelox, I applied to both St. Andrews and Aberdeen, but unfortunately was rejected from St. Andrews (oh well!). Below are MY pros and cons for each:

St. Andrews Pros:

Beautiful location
Mix of old (lots of history) and new (new medical school and syllabus)
"Wet anatomy" - I believe it imparts more understanding of the 3D-ness of the human body.
Intercalated degree included as part of the course.
People I've spoke to say they felt very well prepared for clinical after finishing their BSc at St. Andrews

St. Andrews Cons:

No teaching hospital/limited clinical exposure
An extra year studying, probably won't make much of a difference if you're not an older studentAccommodation, outside of halls, can be tricky/expensive to find
Not much of a clubbing location, if that's what you're after
Can be relatively tricky to get to/from

Aberdeen Pros:

Large clinical campus
Great student feedback re. the course
Remote and Rural component (my personal favourite)
Wilderness medicine/Wildsoc
Easier to find accommodation
More shops/nightlife in the town

Aberdeen Cons:

Remote, if you're not from Scotland (actually pretty remote if you are, but that's part of the appeal for me)
Can be a bit bleak in the winter

I agree 100% with all of these apart from your con about aberdeen.

Yes it is further North but it is certainly not remote and has great connections to so many places. There is an airport to almost anywhere in europe, fantastic train service to anywhere with a big train station in the center of town, it has a large bus station right in the center of town as well. all very accessible from the uni. Its also the oil capital of europe and thousands of people go there every year. Aberdeen has a population of around 220,000 and is classed as one of scotlands major cities. St andrews has a poulation of around 16,000. St Andrews has no train station in it and is a smallish place. Its very pretty and scenic but has a long and winding road to get to it.

Aberdeen is further north than other cities in Scotland (but no more than a three hour drive) but it is not as remote as St Andrews.

Those are just my thoughts though, hope it helps :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1186
I'm sure Track doesn't get updated only at 5pm because I got emails for my other three choices at various times and not one of them was 5pm
And the wait must go on...

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is painful

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Oh God the tension.
I think I might actually burst.
Reply 1190
Original post by ImagineThat95
I agree 100% with all of these apart from your con about aberdeen.

Yes it is further North but it is certainly not remote and has great connections to so many places. There is an airport to almost anywhere in europe, fantastic train service to anywhere with a big train station in the center of town, it has a large bus station right in the center of town as well. all very accessible from the uni. Its also the oil capital of europe and thousands of people go there every year. Aberdeen has a population of around 220,000 and is classed as one of scotlands major cities. St andrews has a poulation of around 16,000. St Andrews has no train station in it and is a smallish place. Its very pretty and scenic but has a long and winding road to get to it.

Aberdeen is further north than other cities in Scotland (but no more than a three hour drive) but it is not as remote as St Andrews.

Those are just my thoughts though, hope it helps :biggrin:

Though if people are concerned that Aberdeen is remote then they certainly aren't going to like being sent somewhere more remote later in the course. Your points about the transport connections are very valid.

St Andrews has a train station at Leuchars which is a short bus ride away. And on the same line as Aberdeen, hence me not being quite sure why you're claiming it as more remote when it's closer to the rest of the country than Aberdeen.

Congrats!!!!! Could i ask if you are a reapplicant or intenational student, or if this your first time applying?????:biggrin:
Reply 1193

When did you receive the email, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats! Conditional?
Reply 1195
I found out just past 5 today and I'm a first time applicant from England and its conditional, although ucas hasn't told me what they are? I'm guessing AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zmai
I found out just past 5 today and I'm a first time applicant from England and its conditional, although ucas hasn't told me what they are? I'm guessing AAA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you click on the course code, it gives more info on your offer :smile:
Congrats! :biggrin:
The conditional offers have started coming...here goes...congrats again
Original post by zmai

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you already achieved you grades, or do you have yet to do your A-levels?
Reply 1199
Am I right in assuming that unconditional offers are given first then conditionals and since I already have achieved my grades then I'll be getting a rejection?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending