The Student Room Group

Is a macbook pro good for student use?

Scroll to see replies

Not really.

Unless you need to use Terminal, take advantage of the Unix architecture, or Mac specific programs, it is a waste of money and another type of laptop would be better.
Reply 61
In relation to your point about the 650m and gaming: Well the MBPR is stock over-clocked to perform like the 660m (see above posts for the source) so it would be worth checking notebook check and for their FPS checks (obviously bearing in mind it isn't going to be testing the Retina resolution). It's a very capable high end card. Of course we have to consider that some games aren't even Retina ready and simply just don't detect the super high resolution.

Why did I get it then? Because first and foremost playing games at 2800x1800 all the time was never my priority. It's mainly because I get 25% discount which made it a steal and the Retina screen is fantastic for editing (there are numerous articles on this if you're interested in why exactly etc). Playing games in 2800x1800 is simply a bonus to me. I guess thats because it's never going to be the be all and end all considering it's on OSX which isn't a gaming platform in reality considering it's poor use of OpenGL + games available and I'm not really interested in heavy gaming anyway, if this were the case I would have bought a windows laptop/desktop.
Reply 62
Original post by PVisitors
Apologies then, I just saw you using TL;DR which came below mine (I also signed off with that) and assumed it was you being sarcastic.

No, I turn the resolution down when I want to play a more graphically intense game than something like Diablo 3. The actual UI performance and general use for Video/Photo editing is perfectly fine and doesn't tax the dGPU at all. You're not understanding how the OS deals with a 2880x1800 resolution. Basically 2880x1800 native is way too small for the average person to use so it is scaled to a resolution which works like 1400x900, where it is given a ratio of 4:1 for pixels. This is what gives it the clearer/sharper images and typography. Likewise you can scale up the resolution to 1920x1200 to show off more screen estate. And so on.

Really? I'd be curious to see a trackpad from 5 years ago which has the likes of two finger scrolling anywhere on the pad etc or a unified trackpad button which can act as a left click or right click depending on where the pad is touched or how many fingers press down.

The only 'multi touch' I can think of (granted I only really follow Android/iOS/Mac/Thinkpad recent news) is that the likes of tapping the pad for a click and scrolling by moving to the right hand side to scroll has been around for a while.

Many Synaptics pads in recent history have multitouch capability when you install drivers. Two finger scrolling and zooming is common, three finger capability is much more recent. As for a unified trackpad button, hey, I didn't claim that. I think that might be an Apple patent anyway.

And the DPI scaling is largely irrelevant to performance, the resolution is. And you're right about photo editing, it's the only use I can think of that would utilise the screen res in the MBPR to its max.

And that's my point; you turn the res down for more intense games, thus negating the benefit of a higher res panel.
wall of text

you're still getting the price of the alienware wrong. with the weakest i7, 1gb gfx card, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD you get £1,448. (apparently you also get a "free flight" with this. we'll just say that matches whatever "app discount" apple gives you for buying the macbook)

anyway, the price difference here is still £80 - and once again, this is with the Apple student discount (assume once you're not a student you're going to think about the real price?). dell is a bit stupid and won't let me copy the settings for the computer in the URL but you'll have to build it up from the cheapest laptop...

so you say that £80 covers the Mac having a nicer screen, looking better, having a better mousepad, and having SLIGHTLY better battery life (see: TechCrunch link below)

BUT ignores that the dell has: 3 USB ports, better speakers, optical drive, HDMI port and an ethernet port. This is hardware, you can say that you don't necessarily need any of them because you live in a house with wireless and download all your software and never use your tv with your laptop, but that's akin to saying battery life doesn't matter because i can always find a power plug somewhere.

http://laptops.techcrunch.com/compare/121-830/Alienware-M14x-vs-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-with-Retina-Display-mid-2012 (for the dimensions and battery life - the only significant difference in height, weight and battery life is in height, weight and battery life are only slightly in MBPR's favour)

by HDD favours alienware I meant that if you config with HDD, the price difference becomes even higher than the £80 we have with the super expensive SSD. you might prefer a laptop that can boot up fast, but the fact is that it's an expensive tradeoff once again that favours the HDD based laptops. They're £300 cheaper, you don't need to buy an external drive and you don't need to spend one of your two ports plugged in. the main point I was making here that is that you've found a very specific configuration that makes the difference between the two computers £80 - in most cases it's much higher (and without the student discount it definitely is). Well, whatever your preferences are, my main point it - with the Alienware, you can choose, with the Macbook Pro Retina, you can't. Either way, your computer will be cheaper, though whether the price difference is £440 or £80 is up to you.
Reply 64
In relation to your point about the 650m and gaming: Well the MBPR is stock over-clocked to perform like the 660m (see above posts for the source) so it would be worth checking notebook check and for their FPS checks (obviously bearing in mind it isn't going to be testing the Retina resolution). It's a very capable high end card. Of course we have to consider that some games aren't even Retina ready and simply just don't detect the super high resolution.

Why did I get it then? Because first and foremost playing games at 2800x1800 all the time was never my priority. It's mainly because I get 25% discount which made it a steal and the Retina screen is fantastic for editing (there are numerous articles on this if you're interested in why exactly etc). Playing games in 2800x1800 is simply a bonus to me. I guess thats because it's never going to be the be all and end all considering it's on OSX which isn't a gaming platform in reality considering it's poor use of OpenGL + games available and I'm not really interested in heavy gaming anyway, if this were the case I would have bought a windows laptop/desktop.

I suppose there aren't any competitors to the MBPR in it's bracket for portable editing, but it's overspecced for that (except the screen). It might be better to get a worse specced machine and splurge on a good IPS panel. For overall use without emphasis on anything specific, including gaming, I would still propose there are better value systems even near that price point, not all of us can get 25% discounts! Which you did.. how exactly? I might be interested if I win the lottery or something :tongue:
The amount of people in this thread who think that Macs are high quality is making me lose so much faith in humanity.
and the main point that I originally tried to make and that I think got lost in the spec-by-spec comparisons is that

you can get a PC in any flavour

if you need gaming, you can get an Alienware with a 17" screen and a GTX 690. If you want a good general computer, you can get the HP Envy series. Cheap laptop or ultraportable? No problem! Nine times out of ten, what you want to do - you can do it cheaper than a Macbook. The example in this thread, based on Macbook specific specs with a heavy student discount on the Macbook, you could still get the same hardware from Alienware (just one manufacturer) for £80 less. And it's not like everything outside the specs favour the Macbook Pro retina which comes with about half the ports that the Alienware did.
Original post by Mr Smurf
What do you expect when people are constantly ridiculing them for buying a Mac? Do people who buy Vans over those H&M shoes I posted constantly get people laughing at their decision and calling them stupid for paying three times the price? People pay premium for things all the time. I bet you have done so in the past and will continue in the future. It might not be with a laptop. It could be anything from clothes to a car.

There's a difference between willingly paying a premium and knowing that you've just paid £80 for the Armani logo and thinking that Armani t-shirts are really much better quality than t-shirt x.

Also, what do you think happened first? Mac ridicule is a byproduct of "Mac pride"
Reply 68
Original post by Teenage Pirate
you're still getting the price of the alienware wrong. with the weakest i7, 1gb gfx card, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD you get £1,448. (apparently you also get a "free flight" with this. we'll just say that matches whatever "app discount" apple gives you for buying the macbook)

anyway, the price difference here is still £80 - and once again, this is with the Apple student discount (assume once you're not a student you're going to think about the real price?). dell is a bit stupid and won't let me copy the settings for the computer in the URL but you'll have to build it up from the cheapest laptop...

so you say that £80 covers the Mac having a nicer screen, looking better, having a better mousepad, and having SLIGHTLY better battery life (see: TechCrunch link below)

BUT ignores that the dell has: 3 USB ports, better speakers, optical drive, HDMI port and an ethernet port. This is hardware, you can say that you don't necessarily need any of them because you live in a house with wireless and download all your software and never use your tv with your laptop, but that's akin to saying battery life doesn't matter because i can always find a power plug somewhere.

http://laptops.techcrunch.com/compare/121-830/Alienware-M14x-vs-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-with-Retina-Display-mid-2012 (for the dimensions and battery life - the only significant difference in height, weight and battery life is in height, weight and battery life are only slightly in MBPR's favour)

by HDD favours alienware I meant that if you config with HDD, the price difference becomes even higher than the £80 we have with the super expensive SSD. you might prefer a laptop that can boot up fast, but the fact is that it's an expensive tradeoff once again that favours the HDD based laptops. They're £300 cheaper, you don't need to buy an external drive and you don't need to spend one of your two ports plugged in. the main point I was making here that is that you've found a very specific configuration that makes the difference between the two computers £80 - in most cases it's much higher (and without the student discount it definitely is). Well, whatever your preferences are, my main point it - with the Alienware, you can choose, with the Macbook Pro Retina, you can't. Either way, your computer will be cheaper, though whether the price difference is £440 or £80 is up to you.

As I said above, for the reasons listed above, putting myself in a scenario where I am not a student had a budget of £1800 and my priorities of a laptop were the same I would rather spend the £1800 on a laptop given that it is 1/2 the size and lighter. Rather crucial for me as my laptop isn't treated as a workstation, it's taken out and around with me in a bag frequently. Then factor in the SSD which I'll be happy to pay extra for as it is quite clear our priorities differ as it's purely subjective what you want from your storage. I have my own private cloud network I use as a file server and I can always tether my phone connection so I'm always with my data so the big 1tb isn't really needed for me.

I understand your reasoning now over the HDD/SDD but as I keep on saying, I am comparing hardware to hardware not the personal preference of wanting a spinning disc or not. The fact still remains if someone wanted the speed over storage which then adds a significant cost to the Alienware. Assuming he is a student or can get the discount, he could get a laptop which has the exact same hardware but with numerous advantages (unless of course he really needs an ODD and a built in RJ45 port). At the end of the day a laptop with an SSD is a better performer than one with a spinning disc so you're paying for that performance increase.

In relation to the weight only being a minor advantage, we're talking a difference of 700g, when you're carrying you're laptop on your shoulder for a day or so that really does start to add up. It sounds so trivial saying it now but it's not something you appreciate the difference until you actually try it. The difference between my old 15" cMBP to the MBPR is ridiculous.

Battery life comparisons from manufacturers are slightly naive as in real terms the general consensus is the M14x gets 2 and a half hours (notebook check), compared to the 7 hours (light) and 5 hours (medium). Finally the MBPR has a HDMI port and the Alienware really only offers 1 extra USB port (which is USB 2.0 bleh). RJ45 is a bit of a bummer I admit but the thunderbolt adaptor is there although it would have been nice for Apple to give that for free like the Asus Zenbooks given its a £1800 laptop with big profit margins.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ilcb
well i know nothing about spec or anything in depth about software but from a relatively uninformed point of view, i used pc's up until i was about 14, to be honest i didnt know any better, but i used to get annoyed by the fact they always crashed, and were a little slow and got virus's easily despite having updated norton etc. my dad was actually a computer technician at the time so it wasnt like we were operating on run of the mill machines. they were fine for gaming, word processing etc was fine and they were simple enough to use and applications functioned well when the computer wasnt being attacked by a virus (which i have to admit was a majority of the time, which was a mystery to everyone because as a family computer with technology conscious users was a little confusing) and it served us sufficiently.
when our pc broke down, we tried a mac desktop. it eliminated any problems with virus' and without the investment of norton, which was inefficient on our pc anyway. in general that computer has been far easier to maintain - its never gotten a virus and hasnt been in need of a repair at all. that said however, four years on, it is suffering a little, but nothing a memory tidy up wouldnt solve. i also have a macbook pro which i personally love. it functions well, is surprisingly hardy, has done me well through secondary school and sixth form and the applications available for download are impressive. it also looks nice which is a plus (although not important).
i still work with pc's at work and worked on them in college. i prefer my mac, but pc's suffice for browsing and schoolwork. i personally find microsoft office on mac easier to navigate, but thats possibly just what i'm used to. an addition which is worthwile investing in is applecare. i'm not sure if microsoft offer a similar thing, but with applecare, apple will repair your product free of charge (in most cases as far as i know) which at uni will be a life saver if something drastic happens and you cant afford to pay for a product to be fixed.
my dad who has been a pc user his whole life and was once pretty anti mac now wants to buy a mac. his work supplies him with pc's of the highest spec and he says he is constantly disappointed by the deterioration of the laptop within two years.
to be perfectly honest, if you can afford a mac, i'd buy one, purely for the quality of customer service. if anything goes wrong, mac will sort it asap. in that sense i think macs are less hassle, however in terms of general student use, you'd be fine with either. maintain a pc and spend time on making sure it is functioning to its best and i'm sure it will survive long enough to last you through uni

:lolwut: I don't think any sane "Computer Technician" would use Norton.

Oh, and computers don't just randomly get "attacked" by viruses. You actively have to go out of your way to get them. :facepalm:

And most of my computer components have a 3 year (FREE) warranty. (RAM has a 10 year warranty :biggrin:)
ffs no. They're priced so much more than a non-mac laptop of the same specs it's a total joke, mac OS is horrible... just stay away.
Reply 71
As I said above, for the reasons listed above, putting myself in a scenario where I am not a student had a budget of £1800 and my priorities of a laptop were the same I would rather spend the £1800 on a laptop given that it is 1/2 the size and lighter. Rather crucial for me as my laptop isn't treated as a workstation, it's taken out and around with me in a bag frequently. Then factor in the SSD which I'll be happy to pay extra for as it is quite clear our priorities differ as it's purely subjective what you want from your storage. I have my own private cloud network I use as a file server and I can always tether my phone connection so I'm always with my data so the big 1tb isn't really needed for me.

I understand your reasoning now over the HDD/SDD but as I keep on saying, I am comparing hardware to hardware not the personal preference of wanting a spinning disc or not. The fact still remains if someone wanted the speed over storage which then adds a significant cost to the Alienware. Assuming he is a student or can get the discount, he could get a laptop which has the exact same hardware but with numerous advantages (unless of course he really needs an ODD and a built in RJ45 port). At the end of the day a laptop with an SSD is a better performer than one with a spinning disc so you're paying for that performance increase.

In relation to the weight only being a minor advantage, we're talking a difference of 700g, when you're carrying you're laptop on your shoulder for a day or so that really does start to add up. It sounds so trivial saying it now but it's not something you appreciate the difference until you actually try it. The difference between my old 15" cMBP to the MBPR is ridiculous.

Battery life comparisons from manufacturers are slightly naive as in real terms the general consensus is the M14x gets 2 and a half hours (notebook check), compared to the 7 hours (light) and 5 hours (medium). Finally the MBPR has a HDMI port and the Alienware really only offers 1 extra USB port (which is USB 2.0 bleh). RJ45 is a bit of a bummer I admit but the thunderbolt adaptor is there although it would have been nice for Apple to give that for free like the Asus Zenbooks given its a £1800 laptop with big profit margins.

I wish there was a market to build a laptop easily like you get with building a desktop :frown:
would make things so much easier for everyone

Err saying "700 grams or 3cm thickness is a big issue whereas 1 extra USB port isn't" is personal preference instead of hardware based comparison.

Not to mention that it's more than 1 USB port in practice because the MBPR will need adapters for things such as ethernet and the optical drive which will invariably be USB based.

As for the rest of the comparison, I'll just stick by my "the PC is £80 cheaper despite the fact that your Mac has been massively discounted"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by Teenage Pirate
Err saying "700 grams or 3cm thickness is a big issue whereas 1 extra USB port isn't" is personal preference instead of hardware based comparison.

Not to mention that it's more than 1 USB port in practice because the MBPR will need adapters for things such as ethernet and the optical drive which will invariably be USB based.

As for the rest of the comparison, I'll just stick by my "the PC is £80 cheaper despite the fact that your Mac has been massively discounted"

I never alluded to the 700g or 3cm thickness being anything other personal preference. My personal preference is that I would rather have less weight and a thinner laptop for £80 or indeed the full price more (given other reasons discussed) than an extra USB port. Of course some people will think differently, I'm not trying to claim that it's a stupid reason.

If you're needing a external superdrive then I think that suggests you probably shouldn't be buying a Macbook Pro Retina and as I said before the ethernet adaptor uses a largely redundant thunderbolt port leaving your two USB ports intact.

You do that, because there are for my use cases clear advantages over an Alienware. Silicon for silicon, the laptops are identical and for £80 less as a student one does have to ask themselves what they want. A bulky laptop with mediocre battery but a whole array of legacy technology or a thinner laptop with better battery making it a very able specced portable laptop. For my use case there is no contest. And for me I think the advantages the MBPR has over the M14x is worth the full price tag. It's not overpriced at this point because quite simply it's too bleeding edge for there to be a competitor.

Although to be fair, frankly speaking if someone is going to be spending £1100+ on a windows laptop they're utter mugs if they choose Alienware when you have the vastly superior Thinkpad range within your budget.
(edited 11 years ago)
A few of my friends at uni have them and one definite advantage is that its harder to frape you or just muck about on your computer for any of your mischievous friends. Even though I'm quite good with computers, when trying to do a quick prank before my friend gets back in his room I find it impossible to operate them haha
Reply 75
Original post by The_Epsilon
The amount of people in this thread who think that Macs are high quality is making me lose so much faith in humanity.

I have had my mac for over a year. It feels like the same as it was a year ago, and i used it 3 or 4 hours a day minimum.

Now, that is quality, thousands of hours of usage and it doesn't feel like it has worn at all.

I am sorry i must disagree, very high quality machine.
i've also been thinking this question a lot...
i finished my graphic design dip. and going to top up study in Middlesex university this sept 2012. i've used pcs more than macs. well, this is no discrimination opinion. totally on my own experiences. by the way, i love to play games too.

my opinion is.. if you have the budget to buy a mac then u should go for it.

Student work, web surfing,Some gaming = if that's all you need.. you dont need to spend so much money on a computer. but take my advise, spend more on computers so that they wont go outdated so fast.

macs: software stable, aged slow
pcs: great for gaming,program scripting, rendering, all heavy usage

i hope i dint say anything wrongly.
Reply 77
I took the plunge last year and bought a basic MBP, and I am very pleased with it. Previously, I had an IBM ThinkPad T41 which was pretty good, it was about 7 years old when it finally died. It was replaced with a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 which lasted about a year before it died (both were bought refurbished for around £250). That was when I made the decision to switch to a Mac.

Now, I am not hugely "in to" computers, but I do use my laptop a hell of a lot so I want a decent one. A year on with a MBP, these are my thoughts:

- The screen is fantastic. Brilliant resolution, very clear, and very bright if you need it to be
- The backlit keyboard is a revelation
- The laptop is sturdy - no squeaks, and feels well built. It has been dropped once, put a hole in the door but laptop was fine
- Good keyboard. The ThinkPads are known for having a very good keyboard, and I personally prefer the one on the Mac. Very easy to use.
- Big trackpad is great, and all the "gestures" improve ease of use
- Don't have to faff around with virus protection
- Battery life - I get about 7 hours from mine in normal useage. More if you dim the screen and turn wifi off
- Light and portable, although a lot of modern Windows laptops are the same these days
- Still runs as well today as it did when I took it out the box a year ago - something that in my experience was lacking from my other laptops. I find Windows ones start to take longer to start up / shut down, open programs, start to crash etc as time goes by.
- It does exactly what I tell it to do, when I tell it to do it. No faffing about waiting for it to think about opening something, it just does it.
- Long warranty and excellent customer care

Now, before you all jump down my throat, this post it not aimed at bashing Windows laptops. I am sure there are plenty of applications where a Windows laptop would be superior to an Apple one, but I am simply illustrating how my laptop works for me. I am not for a second saying all Windows laptops are crap, because of course - that is simply not the case.

They are expensive. My logic was that since it came with a long warranty and are known for running well for a long time, then I would rather spend a bit more initially to get what I feel is a superior product for my needs. I intend to keep this laptop until it dies, and if I get 5 years out of it I will be happy.

So in summary, yes - they are very good laptops. There are alternatives that are cheaper and might suit your needs better, but I am very happy with mine. It does everything I need it to with no fuss at all, and I expect it to continue to suit my needs for years to come.

I am not an Apple "fanboy" at all, and I am certainly not a Windows "hater". Shop around, try one out, try some good Windows laptops too, and see if it is right for you :smile:
Original post by Rybee
Yes, only those who cannot afford one will say no.

What percentage of PC users buy a mac but then decide to go back to a PC? None. There's a reason why...

Lol i've got a macbook, but i use pc more, mac is just too restricted and dare I say it too simple, the dock is annoying to use especially when you hide it to save screen space. Macs are great if you want it to look good and web browse or maybe photoshop, but gaming wise pcs blow them out the water.
Original post by 1992LP

They are expensive. My logic was that since it came with a long warranty and are known for running well for a long time, then I would rather spend a bit more initially to get what I feel is a superior product for my needs. I intend to keep this laptop until it dies, and if I get 5 years out of it I will be happy.

I'm going to post this again (it's a bit sad that it has to come up in every thread):
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/most-least-reliable-notebooks-laptops,9102.html

Macs might be "known" for running well, but are middle of the pack for actual reliability

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending