The Student Room Group

Architecture

I was wondering on what the kind of things you should include in a Architecture personal statement?
Reply 1
There are a few key points you will want to include:
- Anything you do in your spare time which can be connected to architecture or studying at university (and explain why you think it is relevant/useful).
- Anything you can write which shows you have had an interest in the subject for a few years is good, and anything which shows that your interest is backed up with current past times.
- Mention architectural periods, particular buildings or architects you admire and why, to show that you already have knowledge and have researched this, but make sure that this is actually the case as it is likely to be brought up in interview if you have one.
- If you have done any work experience make sure that you include details of that and what you did (as the PS is your only opportunity to do so).
- A brief part about the subjects you are studying, maybe why and how they are relevant to architecture.
- And finally something saying why you want to do the course and ultimately what you aspire to do with it.

That is basically how mine was structured, there is no fail-safe way but make sure that you have a passion for the subject in this as it is the only place you can do so (unless you have interviews). Also make sure that it is all true (I know it sounds obvious) but a friend of mine applied without much interest in the subject and to me it was really obvious reading her PS, so obviously it would be to the admissions deprtments too.
Reply 2
Thank you Claire for your message.
However, although I attended and completed a week worth of experience at a Summer school for an Architecture course this summer, I feel as though this is such little experience for me to talk about in my Personal Statement. So I was wondering whether there are any Architecture companies in London which take on students to do a bit of work experience or voluntary work for a certain period this year?
Reply 3
Original post by HSharbash
Thank you Claire for your message.
However, although I attended and completed a week worth of experience at a Summer school for an Architecture course this summer, I feel as though this is such little experience for me to talk about in my Personal Statement. So I was wondering whether there are any Architecture companies in London which take on students to do a bit of work experience or voluntary work for a certain period this year?

I really wouldn't worry about this, although I found it useful and fun actually I don't think it really had an effect on me getting offers. The main reason I would give for anyone doing work experience would be to confirm that it is the right profession for you, and it made me completely sure, it was just someting extra to write in the PS. But if you want to find work experience I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult, I did two weeks at different places relatively easily, one at a small practice (which turned out to be the most useful to me) and one national company which may have a London office (Pick Everard).
Reply 4
Thank you very much Claire.
Well, I'll send an email to Pick Everard Office and ask them whether they are taking on any students this year to do a bit of work experience or voluntary work for a certain period.
Are there any specific books in which is useful for me to read and mention in my personal statement?
Reply 5
Original post by HSharbash
Thank you very much Claire.
Well, I'll send an email to Pick Everard Office and ask them whether they are taking on any students this year to do a bit of work experience or voluntary work for a certain period.
Are there any specific books in which is useful for me to read and mention in my personal statement?

Pick Everard asked me for a CV after I sent an original email requesting work experience, so you may need to make one too.
Um, I would just concentrate on researching tings you're interested in, not what they may 'expect'. For example I have always been interested in the aesthetics of Georgian and early Victorian architecture so I looked into that a bit more, looked at specific examples etc. And also eco-projects (which I completed an EPQ in) and more modern architects, so not neccessarily books but just any way you can find out about your genuine influences or idols. I don't tink it is important to name drop in the PS just show some interest and suggest that you know more than you can explain in 4000 characters (which obviously wouldn't be possible)
Reply 6
I've just sent Pick Everard an email on behalf of work experience or voluntary work so I shall be waiting for their response.
Showing interest in your PS on behalf of the things you find interesting in Architecture am i correct?
Also, stating a quote in a PS is that useful? Do universities tend to be appealed on quotations used in a Architecture PS?
Reply 7
I just sort of hinted about what I was interested in in architecture, if that makes sense. Put in something that shows it is your own personal interest not something you've picked up in a book that is run of the mill and what everyone says, because you will want to stand out. I think a lot of people talk about current well known architects or very well known ones, so if you genuinely like the work of someone less well known say. You could put in a quote make sure it is relevant and back it up with your own thoughts on it, I didn't use one but im sure they could be useful.
Reply 8
Yeah I totally understand you Claire thank you.
An how is the Architecture course at university?
Reply 9
Haha, well I haven't started yet, the course starts in about 2 weeks time
Reply 10
Haha, well good luck for the first year all the best. Which university are u heading off to?
Thanks, hopefully it will all be ok, I'm going to Sheffield so if you want any inside info soon I might be able to give it
Reply 12
My pleasure. Yeah that would d be great if you could get me inside info. If your not able to then no worries :smile:. I would like to know whether the uni is an ideal place for me to study Architecture and how the teaching method is and is it mainly assignments or exams or both. Just basic information please. I really want to get into Sheffield and study Architecture there. Sorry I am asking a number of questions.
I can tell you now, it is not exams. pretty much all architecture courses are weighted 75%+ to your design work, which is reviewed through the year at final project crits.
Reply 14
Awesome, thank you jrhartley :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending