The Student Room Group

Do exams get in the way?

I've been seeing my boyfriend for 6 months now and things were going great. Until he tells me he wants to call it off, because I'm gettingin the way of his revision. :frown: Its not fair, we're in a long distance relationship so I hardly see him anyway, I try not to phone him too much and yet he wants to just drop everything we have together. I'm doing revision as well, so I know what he's going through. I want to be there for him though, cos I know what he's going through. He says he still loves me. Has anyone else experienced something similar? :frown:
Reply 1
tell him he needs to ahve a life as well as revision! uve just got to balance everything out. carnt say i have been in the experience though. good luck
Reply 2
sounds boring IMO.
Get a BF who has time for you over everything and would always put you first especially over revision.
Reply 3
but i love him and know how important these exams are to him, i don't want him to fail because of me
Reply 4
Revision doesn't seem like a very good reason to break up with you...maybe its something deeper and he's just using that as an excuse. Talk to him and tell him you don't think that revision can get in the way of your relationship, and that you're willing to see less of each other while its intense (hey..its only for a month or two) and ask what it is exactly that he's worried about. Also hint to him that a break up over exams is gonna affect both of your performances more than seeing each other every now and then will!!

I know when I was doing my GCSE/AS/A2 exams me and my boyf saw a lot less of each other but it was nice to have that close support when we did get to meet up.
I'm in a relationship too, with me having exams, him not. The revision, for me, only gets in the way for about two weeks before exams, as that's when I start to revise (yes, I know it's late! :redface:), but occasionally homework etc. interferes, but I don't let it become a problem. Surely he can't be revising that much!? Maybe you need to speak to him about where your priorities lie... of course, you need to give eachother space for revision/exam time, but you also need to take breaks from it... it's not healthy revising non-stop!
must be another reason too, i was with my boyfriend all through my gcses, as levels and A levels and managed to get in med school! and passed my first exams at med school after christmas with him there, altho yes then it did get in the way cus i wanted to see him so much cus we had been apart all term...so in the long distance thing yea he got in the way cus i needed to revise but instead was with him, but when i knew i cud see him anytime no he didnt, cus i could see him wenever...sigh i miss him lol
Reply 7
maybe he just feels overwhelmed with all the work he has to do and feels like he can't treat you fairly if he is stressed and working all the time? how far away are you from each other? as if its a long distance i can see why he might be finding it hard to fit you in around revision- sorry to phrase it like that.
i would never want my boyfriend to put me before his revision, yeah i'm his girlfriend but his exams are just as important, if not more than i am, as the exams get him to uni! maybe thats boring, but there we go. i've been with him during all of our A levels and we've always been out less during exams.... i thought that was normal!
Reply 8
He's left me :frown:
Reply 9
In the nicest possible way, and this is going to sound really mean but I use the revision/Alevels/exams excuse to dump people..

EDIT : Oh **** just noticed your post at the end...

Im really sorry to hear that, but if its a relationship worth having you'll work it through :smile: And if not you're obviously too good for him!
Reply 10
Emmalina
In the nicest possible way, and this is going to sound really mean but I use the revision/Alevels/exams excuse to dump people..

EDIT : Oh **** just noticed your post at the end...

Im really sorry to hear that, but if its a relationship worth having you'll work it through :smile: And if not you're obviously too good for him!

:smile: i'll get him back...I'm not letting him go that easily! though i feel like crap right now lol :p:
I am all for dropping everything for revision. I have enough distractions without a boyfriend as well (well, I do have a BF... but thats another story). Exams ARE the be-all-and-end-all... how will you feel in a few months time when you have dropped a few grades and can't do what you want to do later on because a relationship got in the way. If it is good, it will still be there when you get back. If not, a cool down time over revison is a comparatively painless way to go.
Not meanin to be harsh, but it could've been an excuse for wanting to get outta the relationship for other reasons. Bit of a weak reason to dump someone but good enough to use as an excuse to use in place of the real reason, y'know?
Reply 13
The exams wont last forever, let him get his qualifications then pick things up. I think he has made a sensible decision.
I dump my ex before the prelims (trial exams) telling him i need to concentrate. but that was an excuse tho. I'm sorry this happens to you. Most people use revisions as an excuse especially when they know their partner knows that studies are important for them.

just let it be. If he still loves you he'll come back soon after the exams.
Reply 15
Yes they get in the way. Especially when you're tryin to get a peddle and crank out but ye ol' ma yells up the stairs "revision".

Bloody exams.

(reads actual thread)

Hmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending