The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Well my college has told us to start our personal statement and looking at uni courses etc but the thing is, noone knows their predicted grades...

I have been told that they are from your QCA score (something to do with the GCSE you came into the college with) which is terrible.

For example, at AS I was 3 UMS off a B in biology which hopefully I can do better anyway this year (don't have to resit all my january modules in summer on top etc ) yet according to my QCA score, I am only predicted a grade D.
what? I know A2 is harder but I am sure I can get a B for A2 this year. My teacher said to me she was looking into changing that, as she told me I could get an A this year if I really tried (which I am not going to get lol) but still, my other 2 subjects I have no idea what is happening :s-smilie: this is making the process harder now.. I have tried telling the college, and so have half the year, but nothing...

Is this me being unreasonable?! Also, I always thought teachers were supposed to go based on how you did at AS? I mean i'd say going from a grade U (which I got in January by underestimating AS lol) to near a B is a huge improvement...with the sheer volume of work I had also.
man, this annoys me:redface:
Reply 1
Our teachers are mainly basing it on AS, and if we have a very good argument it seems we can get them changed. (like being a few ums off).
I would speak to whoever is in charge of the UCAS applications at your school. I'm sure they'le see reason and change it to at least a C, if not B.
Reply 2
I don't think you're being unreasonable, my school has a policy to predict AS grades or above, and never below the AS grade. We apply in writing to subject teacher/head teacher if we want them changed. Maybe get your parents to go in?
Reply 3
Original post by IndyJK9
Our teachers are mainly basing it on AS, and if we have a very good argument it seems we can get them changed. (like being a few ums off).
I would speak to whoever is in charge of the UCAS applications at your school. I'm sure they'le see reason and change it to at least a C, if not B.

Well my teacher told me she had no problem predicting me a grade B as she said she genuinely expects me to get it, (I also had a lot going on in my personal life which didn't help lol and the mountain of exams to complete, AS was totally a nightmare haha :frown:)#

College is annoying!
Reply 4
Original post by Rainbows!
Well my teacher told me she had no problem predicting me a grade B as she said she genuinely expects me to get it, (I also had a lot going on in my personal life which didn't help lol and the mountain of exams to complete, AS was totally a nightmare haha :frown:)#

College is annoying!

As long as your teacher says that, just makes sure she or whoever is in charge follows through and changes it on the system. Haha, I know ho you feel, those exams really do pile up.
Reply 5
Original post by Em8980
I don't think you're being unreasonable, my school has a policy to predict AS grades or above, and never below the AS grade. We apply in writing to subject teacher/head teacher if we want them changed. Maybe get your parents to go in?

Oh, wish my college would do this. Well I got like mostly B's and A' and a few A* at GCSE and I am mostly only predicted D/C in everything from this stupid QCA score which isn't fair considering my AS levels were B's (except Biology but that was only a 3 off anyway) and chemistry but chemistry I hated and had no wish to take it any further. lol was only 1 mark off a C though, damnit!

Again, college wouldn't pay for a remark or let me do a remark, because I wasn't carrying it on to A2 even though I got a B in my first unit.
omg, i'm getting wound up just typing this lol.
Reply 6
Original post by IndyJK9
As long as your teacher says that, just makes sure she or whoever is in charge follows through and changes it on the system. Haha, I know ho you feel, those exams really do pile up.

aha, I thought I was clever by not revising for January exams thinking it was AS was just like GCSE and the stuff which was going on...
lmao. completely failed.

My fault admittedly. Summer was the worst lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending