The Student Room Group

Knee Clicking....

Just wondering whether anyone knows what causes it? Basically whenever I sqaut down on my knees, they make a loud clicking noise, quite embarassing really. It does not hurt at all, which is the strange thing, no matter how painful the click sounds.

Just wondering if anyone knows what causes it? Or whether it is anything to worry about?

Cheers...

Scroll to see replies

Your joint is not aligned correctly. Either that or its the gas that often builds up on the joint being released or your tendons moving over your joint. Does it grate or just click?
Reply 2
No it goes not grate at all. It feels perfectly fine. Its only when I actually squat that I hear a click noise. I dont feel any pain or discomfort.
Reply 3
happens to me sometimes, no harm no foul
Reply 4
I'm not sure if its some genetic thing with my knees, because my mum actually gets it too. But as I said, I dont get any pain from it. The noise makes it sound much worse than it is.

When some of my mates hear it, they often ask me if im alright, hehe
Reply 5
it always happens to me too - every time i bend my knees they click :s ah well...i'm just waiting for arthritus (cant spell - sorry) to kick in...*sigh*
It will be your tendons moving then. If it grates it a misaligned joint/muscular inbalance causing the joint to move incorrectly
Reply 7
My left knee clicks, because I wounded myself quite seriously in that area...

So, have you done anything horrible to your knees recently?
Reply 8
I have not done anything horrible.. I have had it for a long, long time.
Reply 9
I've had this since I was very young. In fact when I was about 8 years old my mum took me to a GP to tell us if it was anything to be concerned about. He just said it didn't seem too worrying but to come back if it got worse. 10 years or so later, and it hasn't got worse, althought it hasn't gone away. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.
mine do it too, I always thought it was from skating.. hmmmf guess not.
Reply 11
My ankles have clicked for a while, knees less often. My wrists do it now too, and I think that started when I began going to ceramics classes, having to carry around heavy pots.

Juvenile arthritis would really **** up my piano playing career, if this makes that any more likely.
Mine click all the time, and so do my brothers.

He's 27 and have to have an operation on his knee that the doctors said was normally performed on 'elderly' people.

Turns out the operating made his knee worse, but it means I'll probably have to go through the same in a few years. :frown:
Mine do it too! And my hips!
Mine did that all the time when I was 11+. I went to Docs and had a few checks and then had a scan on it (the tunnel one) and they said I had a torn cartillage and it wouldn't fix itself. I had an op on it and was ok, although it still clicks now but not half as bad or often as it used to. Doubt you have a torn cartillage tho, if it carries on go to Docs and they can find out what is up :smile:
Reply 15
Mine do too!
Have done for the past 7/8 years or so, every time I squat down both my knees click. No pain or anything, just a horrible noise.
And from everyone elses responses, it doesn't sound too promising! :eek:
I started a thread about this a while ago!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=149444
my knees click as well, it usually happens when i get up after sitting down and start walking,it doesnt work but its really annoying!lol
It's called Crepitus.
It CAN indicate ligamentous damage, but i dont think its a problem unless its painful, as well as the cracking occuring.
CogitoErgoSum
It's called Crepitus.
It CAN indicate ligamentous damage, but i dont think its a problem unless its painful, as well as the cracking occuring.

that doesnt sound too good...lol

Latest

Trending

Trending