The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 17

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OneDayIwill
How did you manage to get into uni at the age of 17?

In Scotland, most people finish high school at the age of 17 :smile:
Original post by OneDayIwill
How did you manage to get into uni at the age of 17?

I have friends who are at uni and are 16. They got the results that were required for their course and went. They didn't sit any early exams and they don't attend private schools. We're scottish

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I was really worried about being a 17 year old student (still am, until just after Christmas anyway) but don't worry about it! You might be able to get into your student union, make as many friends as possible during Freshers week (if you're not doing a course with loads of contact hours, people don't tend to talk to each other as much, force them to, or take advantage of all your contact time to make loads of friends on your course) so you get invited to house parties. See if your flatmates are cool with you holding a flat party in your flat, you won't be stuck for things to do. Join societies, you won't be the only 17 year old, there's a few students at my uni (UEA) who went to international schools who are in the same boat. And it makes an awesome talking point because you get people wondering if you're a child genius. And everyone will be even more excited for your birthday because then you can go out. But yeah, flat parties are the key. Even in freshers week you'll find people who aren't going out, me and my flatmates spent one night chasing rabbits around campus because we hadn't bought tickets for the event that night. You can still go to concerts and comedy things if you're somewhere that's really strict with ID, and if you're not a clubbing fan, no big deal because then you're not missing anything. :smile: Half my friends in Scotland are 17, doesn't seem to have traumatised them too much either. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Just get a friend's ID to go out!

Original post by anthonyfl
Just get a friend's ID to go out!

Unless you don't have any friends who resemble you enough to get away with it?
Original post by anthonyfl
It's just if you go to university after S5 in Scotland. It's not difficult to do, if you meet the minimum requirements of a course then you get accepted! For Glasgow University most courses only require AAAB in Highers which isn't too difficult to achieve.

So all/most Scottish students will not be able to drink if they come to England?
Original post by The Polymath
So all/most Scottish students will not be able to drink if they come to England?

They can't drink in Scotland either..

Reply 27
Hi, I came across this thread and thought I may as well ask how you got on in your first year? I'm 17 and starting uni next week and am completely terrified!! Just wondered how you found it when you started at 17? Any advice?
Original post by shh!
Hi, I came across this thread and thought I may as well ask how you got on in your first year? I'm 17 and starting uni next week and am completely terrified!! Just wondered how you found it when you started at 17? Any advice?

Hi there. Seeing as this is an old thread and the OP (pr3ttyreckless) last post was 16-02-2013 the best thing you can do is send pr3ttyreckless a private message or an email.

P.S. I wouldn't worry too much in regards to starting university. Just go with the flow! :biggrin:
Reply 29
Thanks!
Hi, just wondering if it's not to much bother, what sort of grades do you need to attend Bristol? I'm wanting to attend after school without going through college or sixth form, thanks.
Original post by Jordan1055
Hi, just wondering if it's not to much bother, what sort of grades do you need to attend Bristol? I'm wanting to attend after school without going through college or sixth form, thanks.

depends on the course?
Original post by hmon93
I'm worried about starting at almost 20, my 20th will be a couple of days in

I went to uni at 20 it was fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending