The Student Room Group

Young Relationships

As someone in a young relationship that is encountering a few issues i am just curious as to a few things.

Do you think it's realistic to expect yourself to be with the partner you have between the ages of 18-21 in 10 years time?

Do you think young relationships are a waste of time?

Do you think you waste your university experience by being in a relationship throughout?

I've just had this discussion with my flatmates and we all came to very differing conclusions on the above questions so i'm just curious as to what other people think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you could have a million answers but what it all comes down to is it the two people are compatible and want to be together. I don't think age has anything to do with it whatsoever. For example, my parents got married at 17 and are extremely happy 30 years later. My Aunty got married at 30 and divorced 3 years later. It's different for every couple
Reply 2
Yes I agree, one of my friends argued that it's dangerous to get 'stuck' with someone from a young age and potentially hinder your ability to grow as an individual but i disagree. If a couple have trust and are willing to let each other do their own thing and have their own experiences whilst maintaining a healthy relationship i think that they can grow and mature together. It depends on the people involved though mainly as you say, it seems many young people these days think the grass is greener and would much rather go out 'on the pull' than enter a steady relationship.
Reply 3
Personally, I wouldn't get into a relationship if I didn't think it would work out in 10 years time.
Reply 4
I think you could have a million answers but what it all comes down to is it the two people are compatible and want to be together. I don't think age has anything to do with it whatsoever. For example, my parents got married at 17 and are extremely happy 30 years later. My Aunty got married at 30 and divorced 3 years later. It's different for every couple
Reply 5
do you think being in a relationship with someone from such a young age can have a detrimental effect on your future though and stunt your growth as a human being?
Original post by Incisive
Personally, I wouldn't get into a relationship if I didn't think it would work out in 10 years time.

Agreed to a certain extent.

If you're thinking ah well I can see this will only last a couple of months, what is the point? :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
I think you focus too much time on relationships , and don't focus enough time in lifting.

10 years? Really?
Reply 9
if you think it would only last a couple of months i agree. but if you like someone i think it should be given a chance, better to have loved and lost than never loved at all. My flatmate argued that if you don't see yourself with them in 10 years it's not worth it but i think that life's so unpredictable that it's worth giving things a try even if it doesn't work out.
Reply 10
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
10 years? Really?

I think she means in the long run. It's fair enough though, at least she doesn't sleep around like a lot of girls do these days
Reply 11
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
10 years? Really?

I was answering the OP's question, if you cared to read it.
Reply 12
Original post by es.c
I think she means in the long run. It's fair enough though, at least she doesn't sleep around like a lot of girls do these days

Yeah, I do mean in the future.. It seems like a waste of feelings, time and effort wasted on someone who, if you can't see yourself with in the future, there's no point being with them anyway. & thanks I guess :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by siamakdie
I think you focus too much time on relationships , and don't focus enough time in lifting.

:biggrin: brilliant
Original post by ivancampo
As someone in a young relationship that is encountering a few issues i am just curious as to a few things.

Do you think it's realistic to expect yourself to be with the partner you have between the ages of 18-21 in 10 years time?

Do you think young relationships are a waste of time?

Do you think you waste your university experience by being in a relationship throughout?

I've just had this discussion with my flatmates and we all came to very differing conclusions on the above questions so i'm just curious as to what other people think?

I was someone who had a string of 'young' relationships and with each one I believed I was going to be with that person forever. It's only when you look back you realise how much people change and sometimes how wrong they were. I had 3 boyfriends between the ages of 17 and 22, and although they didn't work out I don't regret them or believe them to have been a waste of time. I think it's a rite of passage in some ways to have a few 'failed' relationships under your belt so you know when you meet the right person.

I was in a relationship through my first two years of uni, and then another during the final term. To be honest, I was never really one for getting with guys on nights out or going on dates so I didn't really know any different. If anything having a relationship through uni was a good thing as I think it helped me adjust to being away from home and gave me some sort of comfort - especially during problems with housemates etc. I know guys usually view relationships through uni very negatively though.
Yeah, I do mean in the future.. It seems like a waste of feelings, time and effort wasted on someone who, if you can't see yourself with in the future, there's no point being with them anyway. & thanks I guess :smile:

What if you're with someone for 10 years then break up?

surely that's more of a waste of time than being with someone for a few months?
Reply 16
With my girlfriend now we talk about plans for the future and the prospect of being with each other in the long term but it's hard for me to convince myself this is going to happen as when you hear stories from other people it seems that relationships from a young age very rarely work out.

If my relationship were to end i think i would be devastated and it's strange how even at 20 year old you can feel as though you'll never move on or meet anyone else if the worse comes to worst. I'm not the type for going out and 'pulling' either so it's difficult to see where other relationships would arise from
Reply 17
It depends on the people, my friends grandparents met when she was 15 and he was 22. They are still together and in love. I do think it depends on the people and their values though, I know people who have claimed they were in love with people after 1 week, "engaged" after 3 weeks and singe by a month. Also it depends on whether it truly is love or lust.
Original post by -SJ-
It depends on the people, my friends grandparents met when she was 15 and he was 22. They are still together and in love. I do think it depends on the people and their values though, I know people who have claimed they were in love with people after 1 week, "engaged" after 3 weeks and singe by a month. Also it depends on whether it truly is love or lust.

That's some jimmy saville school of grooming sh!t

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If you said young relationships at say 16 then id say yes I dont think they would last however at 18-21 I think they can. Im 19 and my boyfriends 24 and I can see it working partially as he is older

I dont think any relationship is a waste of time becuase i think we need to go through heartbreak and pain to make us grow up and become a better and stronger person

I do not feel like im missing out on anyting at uni by having a boyfriend I have a really close group of friends, i got out and party and have fun having a boyfriend has had no impact on what i want from university at all. If anything its an encouragement to have somebody egging me on to do well and succeed in life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending