The Student Room Group

Is my issue worth of therapy?

It’s just a vent and I don’t know even where to start, also sorry for my english, it’s not my first language. So I am 21 years old woman with a horrible love life and it’s just because of my deep down issues. I’ve never been in a proper romantic relationship, just went through a bunch of situationships and it’s tiring, but I can’t help myself. I always go after guys, that are emotionally unavailable or with some mental issues or simply not just that interested in me. When they are giving me mixed signals, acting hot and cold I get obssesed and anxious. On the other side, when a guy from the beginning is acting nice, sees me as a relationship material I get bored, not interested, sometimes also I feel sick. I don’t want to be like that for a rest of my life. I am still quite young, so it doesn’t seem to be a such big deal, but in my 30s I want to have a stable family and this is not the right way. Is my issue worth of therapy? Also I am jealous of my friends who are in nice relationship. Deep down I crave this too, but I don't know why is it like that. Thank you!!!
Reply 1
Therapy is used for all kinds of reasons, i know people who have used it deal with abuse and other to go simply because they are confused on how they feel.

From what u have said therapy seems like a good way to go n may be able to give u some more confidence and help u improve ur relationships. It may also be a good a place to explore ur deep down issues.

In short yes, ur issue is worthy of therapy
Reply 2
From the outside it doesn't really seem like it. You seem to know your issues, that you're going for guys who you shouldn't be with, and have other issues you need to sort out internally. A therapist will lead you to analyze your issues but it seems like you've already done that. A therapist isn't going to help with you acting on the steps you seem to already know you need to take. Everyone has relationship issues, you're still young so you have plenty of time to sort them out.
Reply 3
Original post by Foxehh
From the outside it doesn't really seem like it. You seem to know your issues, that you're going for guys who you shouldn't be with, and have other issues you need to sort out internally. A therapist will lead you to analyze your issues but it seems like you've already done that. A therapist isn't going to help with you acting on the steps you seem to already know you need to take. Everyone has relationship issues, you're still young so you have plenty of time to sort them out

Tbh i think the fact that they have other issues they "need to sort out internally" is why they could benifit from having therapy. Their still young and a therapist could help them with taking steps to improve their behavior around relationships or help them to understand.

The likelyhood is that if someone is questioning if they need therapy then they probably do.
Reply 4
Original post by Turtt
Tbh i think the fact that they have other issues they "need to sort out internally" is why they could benifit from having therapy. Their still young and a therapist could help them with taking steps to improve their behavior around relationships or help them to understand.

The likelyhood is that if someone is questioning if they need therapy then they probably do.

A therapist isn't going to sort out your issues for you though. They'll lead you to the recognition that you have x y z going on and then leave it to you to sort it out.

A lot of people go into therapy thinking it's the easy solution to all their problems. It's not. Especially in terms of dating, everyone struggles to some extent. The littlest bit of struggle doesn't mean you need mental health intervention.
Reply 5
Finding a professional listening ear to off load and get some different perspectives reflected back can be surprisingly therapeutic. In my experience a counsellor that you have a rapport with is important and not always immediately found. Certainly worth a try
Reply 6
Original post by Foxehh
A therapist isn't going to sort out your issues for you though. They'll lead you to the recognition that you have x y z going on and then leave it to you to sort it out.

A lot of people go into therapy thinking it's the easy solution to all their problems. It's not. Especially in terms of dating, everyone struggles to some extent. The littlest bit of struggle doesn't mean you need mental health intervention.

Ok however, they said their relationship issues are due to other deep down issues. Therapy is there to help that. It is clear they are struggling and want to improve their behiover however are not quite sure how.

Therapy is there as a support, therapy is there to help with all kinds of psychological issues and is a place to talk and discuss with a professional who can offer a new perspective. This could be very beneficial for them.

You can have therapy for the tiniest bit of struggle if they believe it will help. Therapy will likely benefit this person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending