The Student Room Group

Help needed for AS English Lit student?

Hi, so i am in my AS year and i'm currently working on my coursework on Shakespeare. We did a few past papers and i haven't been doing as good as i would want. I had the band descriptors and i had though i would be a few bands higher than i was. My teacher commented on my work saying i needed to develop my work more, do i need to explain everything?!
I have lots of points to cover in my coursework and i'll never get it all covered, how can i decided what points are more important than others?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
What board are you on and what Shakespeare text are you studying?
I was always told that it is better to include a few well developed points rather than lots of points that haven't been explained. So the most important ones are the ones you can say the most about (assuming your analysis etc is valuable) What is the essay question? Perhaps then I could give you some more specific help :smile:
I have a couple of A grade Othello essays if you think they'd be useful? IDK coursework came pretty naturally to me, I personally don't really feel English can be taught - I'm just paying 9K a year for lols I guess :/
Reply 3
Original post by Clare726
Hi, so i am in my AS year and i'm currently working on my coursework on Shakespeare. We did a few past papers and i haven't been doing as good as i would want. I had the band descriptors and i had though i would be a few bands higher than i was. My teacher commented on my work saying i needed to develop my work more, do i need to explain everything?!
I have lots of points to cover in my coursework and i'll never get it all covered, how can i decided what points are more important than others?

I have some A grade coursework on Shakespeare for AQA English lit, whats the focus on the coursework?
Make sure you have all the relevant bands inside each paragraph and always link it back to the question. If you do this and make sure you weight the A02/A04 correctly to each text/s then there's no reason you shouldn't get top marks.

Are you in OCR? If so I would suggest to making a strong solid beginning of a paragraph which highlights your argument to get A01 (sometimes mixed in with A04 for context). Then you could go on and analyse language for A02 and link that futher with A04. Then to wrap it up you include a part about A03 (some critics debate __________) and finish by linking back to the question. Doesn't have to be this exact structure, you should add more to the paragraph if it's relevant to the argument made at the beginning (ie: if they want more context, add more context etc).

Hope I helped!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I am doing CCEA
The play is Antony and Cleopatra and the question is 'how does shakespeare use dramatic methods to present Caesar as a successful leader?' Or something- this is just from memory

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending