The Student Room Group

Creative writing techniques

what narrative/dramatic/linguistic techniques could I use in my story to make it more interesting !!!?
Reply 1
There are all sorts of things you could do, depending on the kind of effect you want to make. Usually (although not always), how a story reads often complements what the story explores - the characters, plot, themes, etc. When I write (long fiction) I usually put the bulk of the narrative in the first-person because I feel uncomfortable about taking a third-person omniscient position. However, when I write short pieces of fiction (sketches under 1,000 words or so), I often write in the third-person, because I focus on a particular 'moment' for a character or a persona. Usually my sketches are not really about a character per se, but rather explorations of a specific idea or concept.

As a general maxim (if they're allowed), I'd avoid overly descriptive things, unless you're being specifically poetic in your prose, and it suits the scene you're setting. Simple is often effective, and little often more. Try not to be too ambitious either: again it depends what kind of narrative you're writing - a novel can be more complex because you've got more space; but short stories shouldn't try and achieve too much for the genre.

It's difficult to advise any further because I don't know what kind of story you're writing...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending