The Student Room Group

How important are the SATs

i do the IB, just on my first year. I took the practice SATs and i found them hard but we have not got our results yet.)

I wanna know how imporant are the SATs if i already do the IB. I know its for colleges in the US. But im not sure where i wanna go. Is it worth enough to invest in SATs?
Reply 1
Hi. I'm not from the US, but am in the same situation as you. If I understand what I have gathered from my research correctly, IB is NOT a replacement for the SAT. The SAT is a test for simple maths and English skills, very different to the IB, and so, most unis in US require it. IB, like APs and A-Levels, are considered extra 'honours' and technically you can enter uni without them. They only give you credit once you have been admitted so that you can be exempted from some classes, provided you achieve the required score. SATs, however, form a large part of the admission process, and most likely a good score on the SAT is more important that a 45 in IB. There is also the fact that you will be applying with predicted IB scores as IB exams are in April/May, so your SATs will be most likely the only concrete standardised test result that US unis can review. Therefore, if you do truly consider the US, it is worth it to put effort into preparing for the SAT.

Now wait for an American to confirm what I just said. :biggrin:
Reply 2
omg thank you so much! I just got my Practice SAT exams back and they were, in my opinion, VERY bad. I think they were average. I cant do any lessons for SATs so how can i still revise and study for the SATs. I think i will be applying! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending