The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

What counts as a professional reference- UCL postgrad

Hi,
Just wanted to ask if UCL will consider one of my reference letters for postgraduate to be written by a doctor i interned with (unpaid, voluntary) in an observership (this is important, because i mainly sat and observed psychiatrist appointments, but he was a great teacher who tested me, so he knows my clinical skills and degree knowledge really well). Since this wasn't formal employment do you think i should go for it or stick with a reference letter from my current employment.
For the latter, she hasn't seen all the work i do as she is very busy, and may take many weeks to write the letter. Dont want the applications to close before she can write it. What do you guys think?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by floatingoncloud9
Hi,
Just wanted to ask if UCL will consider one of my reference letters for postgraduate to be written by a doctor i interned with (unpaid, voluntary) in an observership (this is important, because i mainly sat and observed psychiatrist appointments, but he was a great teacher who tested me, so he knows my clinical skills and degree knowledge really well). Since this wasn't formal employment do you think i should go for it or stick with a reference letter from my current employment.
For the latter, she hasn't seen all the work i do as she is very busy, and may take many weeks to write the letter. Dont want the applications to close before she can write it. What do you guys think?
Go for it
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Go for it
But would they even accept it as a reference letter? cause it was just an observership not a formal employment contract. also he no longer works in the hospital where i sat so i dont even know what to put as his address and things
Original post by floatingoncloud9
Hi,

What are you applying for? Is it an academic programme or a vocational one? Is a professional reference relevance to the programme you are applying to?
(edited 1 month ago)
its a postgraduate taught, called Child and Adolescent Mental Health MSc
And since they specify that it would be preferable for candidates to have experience in child mental health or education, i would think that a professional reference from my current place of work, as it is in an educational setting, would be better. just worried about how long it will take and the quality of the letter since the referee is super busy, she is the designated safeguarding lead and deputy head teacher, so she hasn't really seen me work- only the head of the SEN department. but i think it would look better for a deputy head teacher to write the letter...
I'd try to get one from your work. Perhaps you should ask if you and/or the head of the SEN department can draft it for her?

In these circumstances it's pretty normal to have someone like the head of department to actually write the letter and for it to be sent by someone more senior to show that it's endorsed by the organisation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending