The Student Room Group

Do you think that minimum wage is an insult salary?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Emma:-)
That isnt true.
I get paid a few pence above minimum wage in my main job where i work in the week. I am a nursery nurse. I am looking after peoples children all day- their pride and joy. It is a very responsible job. Yet i get paid barely above minimum wage for it. We dont get paid enough for what we do.

Because there are huge numbers of people who can do it. Theres no skills shortgage.
Original post by Quady
Because there are huge numbers of people who can do it. Theres no skills shortgage.

Its still an insult, doing a job which is harder than you think (you have to do the job to see it for yourself) and a very responsible role, looking after peoples pride and joy, and being paid **** wages for it.
Anyway, there isnt quite as many people doing it as you think. Plus you may have the qualifications, but not everyones cut out for it. Theres a big difference between being good at the job and not being so good at it, which is why several employees at my nursery started, but then didnt last long, as the nursery realised how rubbish they where and got rid while they could.
Reply 82
Its still an insult, doing a job which is harder than you think (you have to do the job to see it for yourself) and a very responsible role, looking after peoples pride and joy, and being paid **** wages for it.
Anyway, there isnt quite as many people doing it as you think. Plus you may have the qualifications, but not everyones cut out for it. Theres a big difference between being good at the job and not being so good at it, which is why several employees at my nursery started, but then didnt last long, as the nursery realised how rubbish they where and got rid while they could.

You've kinda reenforced my point, the if the nursery got rid of them then they are replaceable.

If nursery staff weren't prepared to work for that wage (and as skilled staff they could just do other things) the wage in the sector would rise.

You might well not like it, but thats life.
Original post by Quady
You've kinda reenforced my point, the if the nursery got rid of them then they are replaceable.

If nursery staff weren't prepared to work for that wage (and as skilled staff they could just do other things) the wage in the sector would rise.

You might well not like it, but thats life.

Its shocking though that for such a responsible and skilled job (you might not think its skilled but it is and you dont realise until you work in that sort of sector/job) you get paid rubbish money.
But on the other hand i also work for mcdonalds (just on sundays), which is a lot less responsibility, pressure etc and you get paid more there.
And like you said about nursery staff being in great supply, theres not exactly a short supply of staff there, but you still get paid more.
Reply 84
Its shocking though that for such a responsible and skilled job (you might not think its skilled but it is and you dont realise until you work in that sort of sector/job) you get paid rubbish money.
But on the other hand i also work for mcdonalds (just on sundays), which is a lot less responsibility, pressure etc and you get paid more there.
And like you said about nursery staff being in great supply, theres not exactly a short supply of staff there, but you still get paid more.

Thats purely so McDonalds can say they pay more than minimum wage. I've specific protests outside McDonalds on wage (as they don't pay 'the living wage') because they are a massive company. If UK nursey's were under a single company (or a couple of companies) there would be a focus for a campaign, but thats not the case.

I don't find it any more shocking than the wages in elderly care. Not saying its 'right' just its somewhat inevitable.

What has your union/protest campaign done to negotiate better wages?
Original post by Quady
Thats purely so McDonalds can say they pay more than minimum wage. I've specific protests outside McDonalds on wage (as they don't pay 'the living wage') because they are a massive company. If UK nursey's were under a single company (or a couple of companies) there would be a focus for a campaign, but thats not the case.

I don't find it any more shocking than the wages in elderly care. Not saying its 'right' just its somewhat inevitable.

What has your union/protest campaign done to negotiate better wages?

All nurserys are the same- even big nursery companies such a co-op childcare nurseries or busy bees etc who are nationwide companies still do the same thing. Not saying its right, just saying thats what they do.
Original post by Silver Lining
Minimum wage is painful.
My sister started out as a temp in the perfume shop, and she has been working there for three years and got paid £5.96 per hour and when she was on holiday, she worked full time but only managed to get like £200- £250 a week ! and she just got promoted in october and her wage is now £6.59.

But, I am a temp right now and I get paid £7 an hour and manage to get like £300 pound a week upto £350.. and I have only been at work for a month!

and buying clothes, food etc is getting harder because it is getting more expensive! so I cut down on luxuries, but then again, at least we have something. kids in Somalia and Africa are not that fortunate

Somalia is a country in Africa. Lots of people in this country are less fortunate then you and live in poverty. And saying kids in Africa is a massive generalisation and shows your ignorance.
That isnt true.
I get paid a few pence above minimum wage in my main job where i work in the week. I am a nursery nurse. I am looking after peoples children all day- their pride and joy. It is a very responsible job. Yet i get paid barely above minimum wage for it. We dont get paid enough for what we do.

Where is more money supposed to come from? Childcare in this country is incredibly expensive. The pay is known to be pretty low so why take on that job then complain about the pay?
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Where is more money supposed to come from? Childcare in this country is incredibly expensive. The pay is known to be pretty low so why take on that job then complain about the pay?

Nurseries (well the ones round my area at least) make quite a healthy profit and could afford to pay their staff a bit more. And childcare might not be as expensive as you think. At least round my area, its not. The nursery i work at (which is half an hour drive from me) is well known for being the cheapest nursery around.
And there is more to a job/career than the money you get paid. Sure the money is nice, but there are other factors. Wanting to work with children and wanting to use the nursery as a stepping stone to go onto other things are 2 of the reasons im there. It doesnt stop me thinking though that nursery workers get paid very little for what they do.
No, as people have to start somewhere in the working world. The minimum wage is a starting point for people who then may want to progress into roles that pay more.
Reply 90
Original post by Owls_93
No, as people have to start somewhere in the working world. The minimum wage is a starting point for people who then may want to progress into roles that pay more.

Why aren't people allowed to start above the minimum wage?
Original post by Quady

They are...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by Cameron.M

Really?
Original post by Quady
Really?

Graduate jobs eg F1 doctor
Original post by Quady

They are..
it's just some only get the minimum wage
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Somalia is a country in Africa. Lots of people in this country are less fortunate then you and live in poverty. And saying kids in Africa is a massive generalisation and shows your ignorance.

How the hell is that post ignorant?

Look, as a Nigerian I know my country is stricken badly with poverty likewise somalia likewise the whole of Africa. What I don't understand is why people feel like its an insult to tell the truth. Yes there are other countries in the world who also have large communities living in poverty but the way the world is set up people are always made to think that Africa is the bottom of the pot but really its at the top. Without Africa you wouldn't have been able to call her ignorant. Think about that. Cobalt. A tiny element used in every single electronic which comes from Africa.

Therefore in conclusion she isn't ignorant she's actually quite humble you penis head.
Reply 96
Yeah it's an insult they should pay more than minimum wage for jobs like cleaners as it's a highly physically demanding job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending