The Student Room Group

Volkswagen Golf's with over 100k mileage?

So i'm about to buy a used VW Golf, but my only concern is that is has over 100k on the clock. In addition to this there has been re-conditioned engine fitted at 98k miles Also includes new water pump, cambelt, new service with fresh fluids, cleaned and polished block/sump and much more.

The car is a 2004 VW Golf 1.4 S

Can you please advise me or if anyone has had Golf's in the past what are they like when they get to a high mileage? Constant replacement of part's? Volkswagen is a good brand that build solid and reliable cars however with pretty much anycar nowadays you have to remain careful especially when they have a high mileage...

Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure i'd both if it's had an engine swap. You don't know the past of the engine.
And why would it need an engine swap anyway? They should go to over 150K if looked after.
Reply 2
Original post by Camoxide
Not sure i'd both if it's had an engine swap. You don't know the past of the engine.
And why would it need an engine swap anyway? They should go to over 150K if looked after.

Hi, the owner said the previous engine lost compression and it could have been fixed at cost. He preffered the longevity of a new one so he replaced it for a piece of mind
Reply 3
Cue Camoxide suggesting a battered Micra.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much money are we talking?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Sometimes the re-con engines can actually have less miles. Normally they will look for wear and replace bits. Anything that is within spec is fine. You shouldn't have anything to worry about, the re-con engine may have lower miles, ask and find out.
Reply 6
Yeah how many miles has the swapped engine done?

100k+ miles for a 8/9 year old car isn't amazing really. Average should be about 80/90k, and if it's needed a new engine. Doesn't really fill me with confidence. I'd look elsewhere.
Reply 7
The previous owner did 180 miles a day travelling to and from work. I'm not sure how many miles the newer engine has done but is this going to be a serious problem?
Reply 8
Original post by efn
The previous owner did 180 miles a day travelling to and from work. I'm not sure how many miles the newer engine has done but is this going to be a serious problem?

Motorway miles are better for the car than city driving.
Motorway miles are better for the car than city driving.

Agreed by far, but he may be lying. :p: And be wary of a manual down mileage.
Reply 10
The mileage and reconditioned engine aren't a concern, it's the gutless 1.4 they put in to haul around such a heavy car that's an issue. You really need the 1.6 at the bare minimum, or downsize to a 1.4 Polo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by FXX
The mileage and reconditioned engine aren't a concern, it's the gutless 1.4 they put in to haul around such a heavy car that's an issue. You really need the 1.6 at the bare minimum, or downsize to a 1.4 Polo.

I'd love to buy a 1.6, however the insurance will be far more ridiculous then what I am already quoted for a 1.4
Reply 12
Original post by MrWhosane
Cue Camoxide suggesting a battered Micra.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When have I ever suggested a Micra other than in small budget car threads.
When have I ever suggested a Micra other than in small budget car threads.

Lol I'm joking mate, relax.
I've had a 2001 1.6 Golf since 2006, it's done about 95k now and I've never had a breakdown! They tend to be very reliable cars if you take good care of them.
As mentioned a 1.4 engine will see much more wear than a bigger engine in the same car. Get proof of the engine swaps, cambelt, pumps etc don't take his word for it.

These engines will go to 130-150k no problems if they have been looked after. Having said that i've seen them blow up at 100k due to poor maintenance and just generally not being the strongest engine VW have ever made.

I doubt it had a 'reconditioned' engine put it, probably just went a scrap yard and took a donor engine from a write off. Nothing wrong with that but don't be under the impression the new engine has been rebuilt with new parts and gaskets, that will not be the case.
Reply 16
Buy on condition, not mileage. It is just a number on the dashboard that has no relation to the overall condition of the car. Service history is much more important - most cars these days should run to well over 150k with little more than routine maintenance.

Just a work of warning - the 1.4 mk4 Golf is terrible. In fact, all mk4 Golfs are terrible. Have a look at a 1.6 Focus instead!
Reply 17
Original post by 1992LP
Buy on condition, not mileage. It is just a number on the dashboard that has no relation to the overall condition of the car. Service history is much more important - most cars these days should run to well over 150k with little more than routine maintenance.

Just a work of warning - the 1.4 mk4 Golf is terrible. In fact, all mk4 Golfs are terrible. Have a look at a 1.6 Focus instead!

Just to kindly say since his car is a 2004 model his car would be a Mark 5 as this was introduced at the beginning of 2004 and the mark 4 ceased production in 2003. Unless his car is a 2003 model and was not registered/bought until 2004.

Can you help me out with my Golf G60, Golf G60 Rallye, Golf G60 Limited post by any chance, since you know a lot about cars?
Reply 18
Original post by hsv
Just to kindly say since his car is a 2004 model his car would be a Mark 5 as this was introduced at the beginning of 2004 and the mark 4 ceased production in 2003. Unless his car is a 2003 model and was not registered/bought until 2004.

Can you help me out with my Golf G60, Golf G60 Rallye, Golf G60 Limited post by any chance, since you know a lot about cars?

You are indeed correct, my mistake! Even still, the heavier mk5 will really struggle with a 1.4 engine (providing he is not talking about the TSI models).

Will have a look :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by efn
I'd love to buy a 1.6, however the insurance will be far more ridiculous then what I am already quoted for a 1.4

What quotes are you getting? I can't seem to get anything below £5000, any advice to bring this down?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending