The Student Room Group

Diagnostic radiography 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am currently in my first year doing BTEC Health and Social Care (Health Pathway) 18 Unit and i want to study Radiography at University.
Would any of these Universities consider my qualification to get onto Radiography.

Teesside University
University of Leeds
Hertfordshire University
Salford University
London South Bank University
University of Derby

Could anyone please help me as people have said that BTEC are useless to get onto Radiography but others have said that this is not true could anyone please give me some advice.
Original post by Becky
Heyy am planning on doing diagnostic radiography as well. Am situated in the north so hoping to go to the universities up north considering

Leeds , Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam, Cumbria, Salford and Bradford for sept 2014

anyone else?

I'm planning on doing diagnostic radiography too!
I'm looking at Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam and Portsmouth at the moment.
Are you going to any of the open days? (:
Original post by jdxx
Im going to liverpool open day :smile: I havent got any work experience within a radiography department? and with only 265 of 3706 getting in do you think i would still have a chance without it?

I'm going to the Leeds open day, so can't make Liverpool! Although I'm going to go for a campus tour one day.

About the work experience - Apparently Liverpool don't do interviews and they're very picky.. so I'm not so sure about them.. Other universities might not mind although they probably prefer it. I'm arranging some now for before Christmas with my local hospital. Have you tried to get some as I'm sure it would be to your advantage. (:
Reply 43
Original post by jdxx
Im going to liverpool open day :smile: I havent got any work experience within a radiography department? and with only 265 of 3706 getting in do you think i would still have a chance without it?

In all honesty, probably not. You'll instantly be disadvantaged compared to any applicant who has experience - which will be the vast majority. Universities/the NHS don't like taking people who haven't seen what they are letting themselves in for. The attrition rates on the course are too high.

Because they don't interview applicants, I imagine Liverpool of all universities would be even more strict on work experience.
Reply 44
25 strangest items seen in an x ray
watch the video here
Reply 45
Original post by FXX
In all honesty, probably not. You'll instantly be disadvantaged compared to any applicant who has experience - which will be the vast majority. Universities/the NHS don't like taking people who haven't seen what they are letting themselves in for. The attrition rates on the course are too high.

Because they don't interview applicants, I imagine Liverpool of all universities would be even more strict on work experience.

Thank-you for your reply, i have a day placement next week now, so hopefully i will have more of a chance.
Which hospitals did you call? And where was your placement at?

I have next Friday st Birmingham Children's Hospital. Then a day in January at Queen Elizabeth's.

x
Original post by jdxx
After calling 12 different hospitals this morning i finally managed to get a day placement! Even though it is more than 2 hours away from where I live hahaha

Aw well done!:') Where abouts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jdxx
Oh and do any of you know anything about the NHS paying for the course?
Because at some universities such as Portsmouth it says the fee for tuition every year is £0,
But at leeds and liverpool it is still £9,000?
Would preferably want to go to one of those two, but if the fee is free at other places then it makes me think twice!

As far as i know University fees are £0 for Liverpool and Leeds. I went to both open days and they did not mention anything different. Am sure its funded by the NHS
is Anyone intrested in Leeds , Liverpool or Salford. going to the open days next week for Salford and Leeds in Oct. Excited!
Guys I REALLY wanted to do radiography but got bde do I have any chance in getting any offers? Please be honest, I'm actually quite ashamed of myself, working my ass off now trying to get better grades...
Reply 51
Hey I'm really worried because all the local hospitals I've spoken to so far require you to be over 18 to complete work experience in a radiography department. However I'm 17 so I am not able to participate. I know in particular some universites require you to have a minimum of 2 days work experience. Does anyone know any hospitals which offer work experience for under 18's or if the universities take this into account when considering my application? Any response would be much appreciated. :-)
Reply 52
Original post by imconfused
Guys I REALLY wanted to do radiography but got bde do I have any chance in getting any offers? Please be honest, I'm actually quite ashamed of myself, working my ass off now trying to get better grades...

What are your grades? and what subjects? No need to be ashamed :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by XavDol
I am currently in my first year doing BTEC Health and Social Care (Health Pathway) 18 Unit and i want to study Radiography at University.
Would any of these Universities consider my qualification to get onto Radiography.

Teesside University
University of Leeds
Hertfordshire University
Salford University
London South Bank University
University of Derby

Could anyone please help me as people have said that BTEC are useless to get onto Radiography but others have said that this is not true could anyone please give me some advice.

First of all, What level of Health and Social Care are you doing? You wont get considered anywhere with a level 1 or 2. A Level 3 will.
Reply 54
Original post by Loomes
First of all, What level of Health and Social Care are you doing? You wont get considered anywhere with a level 1 or 2. A Level 3 will.

I am doing level 3 BTEC.
Reply 55
Just curious what will be the average AS grades for students offered place, I mean I know they don't have minimum, but just what do sucessful applicants generally have? And any current/previous students what did you get at AS?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Whyllee
Just curious what will be the average AS grades for students offered place, I mean I know they don't have minimum, but just what do sucessful applicants generally have? And any current/previous students what did you get at AS?

check here: this could be helpful
http://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c%5Bpage%5D=3&c%5Bq%5D=radiography&c%5Bsort_fact%5D=relevance&c%5Bstudymode_time_tags__and__some%5D=full-time&commit=Apply+changes&utf8=%E2%9C%93
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm just subscribing to the thread. I'm a third year at the University of Cumbria so if anyone's thinking of going there (I'm based at Lancaster) or got any general questions feel free to quote me here :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by dreaminchicken
I'm just subscribing to the thread. I'm a third year at the University of Cumbria so if anyone's thinking of going there (I'm based at Lancaster) or got any general questions feel free to quote me here :smile:

You've been doing the course two years already? O_o Time flies!
Reply 59
Original post by dreaminchicken

Hello there, how is the course and what grades did you get on your A levels and what subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest