Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Scholarship & Bursary 2013

//
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there, thanks for the information. I am from the EU so would like to find out if there is something except tuition loan I can get. On the official Lancaster website it says that : If you're a student from an EU country other than the UK, studying at an English university, you may be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan. In limited circumstances where you satisfy residency conditions you may get help with living costs. Plus you may also be entitled to the £1,000 fee waiver element of the National Scholarship Programme.

Do you have any idea of what "limited circumstances where you satisfy residency conditions" are? Is it household income or something?

And one more thing - when does this " you may also be entitled to the £1,000 fee waiver element of the National Scholarship Programme" is applicable?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks a lot. I've got an unconditional offer and will contact the uni by e-mail as my course is not connected with management.
Thanks anyway, I think that given information will be very useful for some other people. :smile:
Reply 4
I already know about this.
Really hoping A*A*A = D*D*D at BTEC.
I'm studying BTEC.
Can't wait to study MSci in Comp Sci.

I got the letter around 3 weeks ago, and it said we get paid the full scholarship/bursary in February 2014.

The reason why it is given during Lent term, i think is because if they gave people the money straight away, people can easily drop out.
(edited 11 years ago)
What about IB? I don't do it but I'd imagine some people are wondering
//
(edited 10 years ago)
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by IntenseSoldier
For most students in england who have received offers may or may not have received a letter about the 'financial packages' that Lancaster University offers for people starting their degree in 2013. I think it would be useful to have this thread so we can all discuss it since it's a very important aspect of university, especially if you're going to live on campus like most of us :P

For those who don't know:
Bursaries and Scholarships are like grants and don’t have to be paid back. You get your bursary directly from your university or college (in this case Lancaster University).

The Financial packages are as follows:

So first there is the Academic Sholarship:
For people with A* A* A (or equivalent)
Receive £2,000 during their first year

Access Scholarship:
A*, A, A (or equivalent)
Receive £1,000 for each year of study

Bursary Package:
Students whose household income is less than £42,600 but more than £25,000

National Scholarship Programme
Students whose household income is less than £25,000
Receive £3,000 in first year of study. [£1,000 Bursary + £1,000 Fee Waiver + £1,000 Accommodation Discount]

Beware these are NOT loans so do not have to be paid back.
Beware these figures are subjective to Lancaster University ONLY and may differ at other Universities.

These financial packages are independent by that I mean you can receive more than one of these packages.

For example: You obtain A*, A, A, your household income is less than £25,000 and you're studying a 3 year course; this means you will receive a total of £8,000 which is broken down as follows:

Year 1
- Access Scholarship of £1,000
- National Scholarship Programme of £3,000
============
Year 1 Total £4,000

Year 2
- £1,000 Access Scholarship
- £1,000 Bursary
============
Year 2 Total £2,000

Year 3
- £1,000 Bursary
============
Year 3 Total £2,000

Additional information:
I wish to update these soon; I'm currently confused about some of them so I hope someone knows the answer to the ones I have not been able to answer:

Q: Can I still receive xx scholarship if I just missed the grading criteria by one or two grades/ marks?
A: No, the scholarship conditions must be met EXACTLY, or EXCEEDED.

Q: What are the 'equivalent grades'?
A: [not yet known] So Lancaster University mainly talks about A level grades - are BTEC's accepted as an equivalent? (mainly the extended diploma). Lancaster says the following and I quote "Please note that we cannot accept alternative combinations of grades or UCAS tarrif point equivalents." yet the say they accept equivalents next to these grading criteria for scholarships.

To anyone wondering, i just spoke to the woman who is in charge of the scholarships, and she said if you're doing BTECs ring up as some courses aren't eligable.

I'm doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (Software Development). And i would need at least a D*DD or D*D*D grade.

I'm glad I rang up because I have firmed Lancaster ^_^
(edited 11 years ago)
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Awesome, thanks for that information I'll be sure to add it to the thread ! :smile:

No problem ^_^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Great work OP. :smile:

My, my though! It has got complicated in recent years. For me [starting in 2008], you got £1000 per year of study if you got AAA at A Level [you just had to get a certain % in your first and second years at Lancaster to continue to receive the scholarship]. It was simples. :redface:
//
(edited 10 years ago)

Yeah now they've increased the requirements for getting a scholarship as well as complicating everything because of the recent changes in university fee's :rolleyes:

To be fair, in 2008/09, an A was the top mark. So, they couldn't ask for more than AAA. :smile:
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
This is probably a very stupid question, but I received a letter about a scholarship offered by the university I have a question: are scholarships paid only once a year? So basically scholarship of £1,000 is 1000/8=£125 per month? Not the highest amount of money, but still ...
I'm very ignorant about the topic, so sorry for the stupid question. :-(
For most students in england who have received offers may or may not have received a letter about the 'financial packages' that Lancaster University offers for people starting their degree in 2013. I think it would be useful to have this thread so we can all discuss it since it's a very important aspect of university, especially if you're going to live on campus like most of us :P

For those who don't know:
Bursaries and Scholarships are like grants and don’t have to be paid back. You get your bursary directly from your university or college (in this case Lancaster University).

The Financial packages are as follows:

So first there is the Academic Sholarship:
For people with A* A* A (or equivalent)
Receive £2,000 during their first year

Access Scholarship:
A*, A, A (or equivalent)

Bursary Package:
Students whose household income is less than £42,600 but more than £25,000

National Scholarship Programme
Students whose household income is less than £25,000
Receive £3,000 in first year of study. [£1,000 Bursary + £1,000 Fee Waiver + £1,000 Accommodation Discount]

These are NOT loans so do not have to be paid back.
These figures are subjective to Lancaster University ONLY and may differ at other Universities.
This information is only based on students who live within the UK; I will update the thread if I find accurate information about international students.

These financial packages are independent and by that I mean you can receive more than one of these packages.

For example: You obtain A*, A, A, your household income is less than £25,000 and you're studying a 3 year course this means you will receive a total of £8,000 which is broken down as follows:

Year 1
- Access Scholarship of £1,000
- National Scholarship Programme of £3,000
============
Year 1 Total £4,000

Year 2
- £1,000 Bursary
============
Year 2 Total £2,000

Year 3
- £1,000 Bursary
============
Year 3 Total £2,000

Additional information:
I wish to update these soon; I'm currently confused about some of them so I hope someone knows the answer to the ones I have not been able to answer:

Q: Can I still receive xx scholarship if I just missed the grading criteria by one or two grades/ marks?
A: No, the scholarship conditions must be met EXACTLY, or EXCEEDED.

Think so but not 100% certain that's correct.

Q: What are the 'equivalent grades'?
A: Possible equivalent courses:

BTEC's - So far only BTEC Extended diplomas are known to be accepted although it varies with each course, I suggest you contact the university. No this is for any equivalent courses. Though there is no official guidance from UCAS on what equivalent grades are on many courses but the uni has created its own comparitive grade requirements.

IB - Yes

Other vocational courses - Yes

//Thanks to Tish for the information on the BTEC equivalents

Q: How do I apply for a bursary or scholarship?
A: You don't need to; providing you have received your offer from Lancaster all you have to do is apply for student finance from the government and your application for any bursary or scholarship will proceed automatically; there are no further forms to fill in.

Q: How do I know if I've got my bursary or scholarship?
A: You will receive full award confirmation approximately 14 days following your arrival and registration at Lancaster University. Any financial awards due will be paid through the bank account that you chose. Scholarships are usually paid in February though this is currently subject to review.

Q: Do these 'packages' apply to International student too?
A: No, they differ; I suggest you contact the University itself to find out what they offer for you. Correct there are currently no international bursaries or scholarships available from the university.

Q: What can I spend my scholarships bursaries on and do I get them all at once?
A: [Not yet known] Please leave any answers :smile: The cash is yours to do what you like with. The fee waiver you will not see but you will have less to pay back to the government through your student lone when you finish your degree. The accommodation fee is £1000 less for on-campus accommodation. The feasibility of finding ways to make other offers are being investigated but the university is not allowed to give more than £1000 in cash. The reason accommodation is being subsidised is because it's a university run business so they don't lose profit to someone else, it all stays in the system.

Most of the information in this thread can be found here

If you're still confused or think you can help, feel free to leave a post behind! :h:

- IS

Hi IS I was recently at a meeting where the 2013-14 scholarship package was briefly discussed. I have written answers to unknowns in bold throughout the post. I was at the student union council meeting when the plans were discussed. Though I'm pretty sure this is accurate please check with the university as this should only be taken for guidance. Please also note that the scholarships and bursaries do stack so if you get A*A*A and are entitled to a bursary you will get both.
//
(edited 10 years ago)
//
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
How does the £1000 accommodation discount work? Is the termly fee reduced by an average of £333 each term, £1000 cashback or something else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending