The Student Room Group

Best car insurance for new drivers

Scroll to see replies

it's cost me £3700 for my first year ): depressing amount of money. That's with a black box too, hoping it will drop to a lot on renewal tho.

I do have a Corsa tho, insurance was cheaper on my C2 by £700 (but I only kept it for 2 months)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
My first years insurance was about £1080 once you take account of the extra it costs to pay it monthly. I had a bad accident so still have 0 NCB, but this year or was about £500, and now I've changed my car it's about £400.

Edit: both times were fully comp

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by LinzyLoo
I didn't start driving til I was 23 and my first premium was £240 :smile: glad I waited. You'd still expect a new driver to have a bump thought wouldn't you?

Statistically I suppose but not all young drivers do. I haven't yet, which is just as well really as it isn't my car to crash!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I insured my 1.1 peugeot 106 for £1696

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by sabian92
Statistically I suppose but not all young drivers do. I haven't yet, which is just as well really as it isn't my car to crash!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah me neither - it's my mum and dad's car, but my wee brother has crashed it like 4 times so I don't think they would be too hard on me! :rolleyes:
Reply 25
About £800 for my first year as the main driver on my Citroen Saxo with Diamond.
I don't think it's too bad compared to other people's I've heard.
Mine is £1200 for a 1.2 engine. I don't have full cover, just fire and theft. It used to be more, I had 200 off because I did my Pass Plus.
Reply 27
£2800, on my 2.5 liter is what was quoted. (yes first car)
Any idea what it'll be for an 18 year old male with 1 year NCB? I'm currently on my mums insurance until January and then I'll get my own car but ill stay with direct live to keep the NCB. Bit sure what car yet, it's quite a while away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by AdamStott64
Any idea what it'll be for an 18 year old male with 1 year NCB? I'm currently on my mums insurance until January and then I'll get my own car but ill stay with direct live to keep the NCB. Bit sure what car yet, it's quite a while away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the car, post code, engine size, where you park it.... Nobody can give a good guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Civic Type R - £1800
I passed my test on the day the gender rule thing was passed (just my luck!!) and I had a 1.25litre Ford Fiesta 55 plate which I had to sell because the lowest I could get my insurance was £2300 TPFT with my Dad as a named driver and those stupid black box things that I definitely didn't want!

I've now got a 1litre Peugeot 107 61 plate which I am £1350 full comp (£500 excess) with my Dad & Granda as named drivers. I would say to only get a 1litre car and put as many named drivers down as possible! If I was to get black box insurance with the 107 I would be about £1100 but I hate the thought of being constantly monitored when driving so I'm willing to pay the extra couple of hundred. Good luck finding it cheap, Diamond have always been the cheapest for me!

Edit: Age plays a big part in it, I got quoted £2300 for my Ford Fiesta a week before my 18th birthday, sold the car then out of curiousity checked the insurance price on my birthday which had went down to £1400 for me being 18 for about 10 hours - crazy! I was a bit annoyed at that point for not just keeping the Fiesta but I've ended up with a better car that I like more anyway now so I guess everything happens for a reason!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
im nearly 25 with 3 years no claims and mine still 900 for a 1.8, so 1600 is a ok price for you
Reply 33
I've got a 1.3litre Ford KA, very cheap to insure. I'm 18, had no NCB, put both parents on as named drivers, and cost me £580 to insure fully comp for a year. I did get my insurance day before gender ruling changes, and checked online and overnight my insurance had increased by £500. When i was looking I found Admiral, Elephant and Diamond to be the cheapest insurers. :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Anthony.BF
When I passed @ 17 it was £4000 +

I'm now 18.5 years old and I have insurance for £967 and I live in SE London

what car are you driving and what insurer is it, living in london is not nice when it comes to insurance
depends where you live, london its expensive as hell

Black boxes are the worst thing ever
Original post by fuze-mo25
what car are you driving and what insurer is it, living in london is not nice when it comes to insurance

It's a 1.4 Corsa SRi (2001)... I'm not insured on it yet, but over the past month and a bit prices have varied from £950 - 1250...
Reply 37
Original post by Anthony.BF
It's a 1.4 Corsa SRi (2001)... I'm not insured on it yet, but over the past month and a bit prices have varied from £950 - 1250...

how's it that cheap im getting quotes around 6 grand, im just going to wait till i've held my licence for a year
Reply 38
I renewed my insurance last weekend - £620 for the year fully comp with Admiral which I am very pleased with!

20 years old, and with a BMW 328i.
1.2 Vauxhall Corsa R Reg.

Yep £1700, fully comp. 18 years old.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending