The Student Room Group

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study?

Scroll to see replies

Predicted GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*AAB (A*A*A already achieved).
A-levels you plan on taking: Psychology, Philosophy and Ethics, Biology and History/English/German (deciding on results day xD).
University plans (if any) : Psychology with either Sociology or Philosophy.
Which university: Sussex, Exeter, UCL or maybe even Cambridge if I think I have a chance of getting in.
Work experience: None yet, but I'm going to start volunteering some time soon.
Reply 221
I'm not sure what I'm predicted but my 'target grades' are 2A 3C and the rest B :biggrin:

I want to take History, Law, English Lit and Spanish (or Bio, not sure yet) next year for AS and A-level :biggrin:

As for Uni, I would like to study Law at Queens or drama at Trinity college Dublin (it's kinda random I know :^_^: )

Work experience: I volunteered at a Vets for a year last year :biggrin:
Original post by Zango11
I'm not sure what I'm predicted but my 'target grades' are 2A 3C and the rest B :biggrin:

I want to take History, Law, English Lit and Spanish (or Bio, not sure yet) next year for AS and A-level :biggrin:

As for Uni, I would like to study Law at Queens or drama at Trinity college Dublin (it's kinda random I know :^_^: )

Work experience: I volunteered at a Vets for a year last year :biggrin:

History, English Literature and Spanish would be great subjects to take particularly if you're interested in pursuing a Law degree at university. You may wish to look at the Law A Level as it's often boring, tedious and not necessary at all. I think Biology will be a nice addition - but then again, choose the subjects you feel you'll do well in. :smile:
Reply 223
predicted GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* and I have an A* in maths at the moment :smile:
A-levels you plan on taking: English, Biology, Philosophy, Economics
University plans (if any) : Law
Which university: I'd love to go to Oxford, LSE or UCL :smile:
Work experience: Done a week at Macmillan books, doing a week at Matrix chambers, Freshfields law firm and a local high street firm in the next year
Reply 224
Original post by MomtaajRahman
History, English Literature and Spanish would be great subjects to take particularly if you're interested in pursuing a Law degree at university. You may wish to look at the Law A Level as it's often boring, tedious and not necessary at all. I think Biology will be a nice addition - but then again, choose the subjects you feel you'll do well in. :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin: I was thinking of doing Law as just an AS but if it's irrelevant I might change it, did you do A-level Law? If so, is it hard or an 'easier' subject? (although I'd imagine all A-levels would be hard :bawling: )
predicted GCSE grades: 10 A*s
A-levels you plan on taking:Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics
University plans (if any) : Maths definitely
Which university:Cambridge hopefully
:smile:
Work experience:a week with an architecture firm- didn't find it that useful
Predicted GCSE grades: A*- B in all subjects (apart from one achieved which is on a high C)
AS/A-levels I plan on taking: biology, chemistry, physics, geology and Spanish
University plans (if any): medicine/biochemistry
Which university: Durham/UCL/Leeds/St Andrew's
Work experience: Quite a bit of charity work and helping at and nursing home. Once I turn 16 I'll apply for a placement/some shadowing at the local hospital.
predicted GCSE grades: 11 A*s, 1A (stupid English language)
A-levels you plan on taking: Maths (& Further), Chem, Physics & German
University plans (if any) : Maybe Maths, I'm not really that sure and I've been spending a lot of time thinking about it as all of my friends seem to have their futures all planned out :frown:
Which university: Hopefully Cambridge, if not somewhere in London
Work experience: none at all :s-smilie:
Original post by Zango11
Thanks! :biggrin: I was thinking of doing Law as just an AS but if it's irrelevant I might change it, did you do A-level Law? If so, is it hard or an 'easier' subject? (although I'd imagine all A-levels would be hard :bawling: )

All A Levels are difficult in their own respect - I don't do Law myself but have sat in many taster lessons during this year (year 12) and I have found it so boring and irrelevant. Indeed, many universities don't exactly encourage you to take it either as a Law degree is substantially different. I had a huge interest in Law and will be attending the University of Oxford for a week of summer school to do the subject - my advice, do anything other than Law AS! Perhaps maybe a science if I may say? :smile:
Reply 229
Original post by MomtaajRahman
All A Levels are difficult in their own respect - I don't do Law myself but have sat in many taster lessons during this year (year 12) and I have found it so boring and irrelevant. Indeed, many universities don't exactly encourage you to take it either as a Law degree is substantially different. I had a huge interest in Law and will be attending the University of Oxford for a week of summer school to do the subject - my advice, do anything other than Law AS! Perhaps maybe a science if I may say? :smile:

Ah okay, thanks for the advice! I'll maybe do Biology or business studies instead :biggrin: Good luck with your summer school week :biggrin:
Predicted GCSE grades: 5B, 2C + Pass BB (I've already got English Language and Maths both at a grade C)
A-levels you plan on taking: English Language/Literature, psychology, media studies and history
University plans (if any) : I'm deciding to do something with English (eg. journalism) or I want to go into languages
Which university: Sheffield (possibly).
Work experience: I've helped run a youth club for children with special and educational needs, I've worked in a nursery/after school club as an assistant teacher and I've also previously helped my family members by working on a stall and in a butcher shop.

My grades don't actually compare to those who have already posted in the thread (an A* is like a dream to me) but I'm trying to get some extra qualifications by taking GCSE Spanish on top of my A-Levels next year and I really want to try the JLPT because I'm self taught in Japanese and I can talk to Japanese people in decent-level conversation. I am also thinking about redoing RE because my teacher made me drop it after my first exam in which I got a B ^.^
Reply 231
Heya I'm new to this as well :smile:
Predicted GCSE Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A A
A-levels you plan on taking: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and maybe Italian
University plans: Medicine
Which university: Don't really know, maybe King's
Work experience: I worked 1 week at a pharmacy shop in year 10, currently organising my voluntary work at a care home and should be doing more work experience at hospitals this summer
I already have a A*s in Italian RE and spanish
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zango11
Ah okay, thanks for the advice! I'll maybe do Biology or business studies instead :biggrin: Good luck with your summer school week :biggrin:

You're welcome. Just make sure you check the content of an A Level first as each exam board has a different specification. Biology is a great A Level but it does have a lot that you need to learn. And thank you :smile:.
Predicted GCSE Grades: 8A* 4A+ (could be A* or A) and 1A.
A-levels you plan on taking: Biology, Chemistry, Further Maths, Spanish
University plans: Natural science (bio and chem) then possibly going into post-grad medicine
Which university: Harvard, UC Berkeley or Oxbridge if possible
Work experience: 1 week in the IS side of a global pharmaceuticals company, where I designed a new system that they eventually implemented :biggrin: also plan to write a novel/la this summer, and going on an Outlook Expeditions World Challenge to Mongolia next summer
Already have A*s in Maths and Spanish :biggrin:
Reply 234
Predicted GCSE Grades: 10 A's
A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, Biology, physics and psychology
University plans:redface:ptometry
Which university:Aston,Cardiff or Glasgow university

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 235
predicted GCSE grades: 8 A*s, 2A's
A-levels you plan on taking: Spanish, Biology, Chemistry and Geography
University plans (if any) : Veterinary Medicine
Which university: Bristol, Royal Veterinary College, Liverpool, Nottingham or Edinburgh.
Work experience: 8 days at a zoo, 2 weeks small animal vets, 2 weeks large animal vets, 1 week cattery, 12 weeks at a stables, five days at a dog shelter in Thailand, 6 weeks on a city farm and a week with an equine vet.
:tongue:
Reply 236
Predicted GCSE grades:

Most - A/B
Art - C (You'll see the irony)

A-levels:

None, I plan on doing Art, Design & Media in further education.

University plans:

Computer Animation Art BA (Hons)

Which university:

Bournemouth University

Work experience:

Newspaper Round (If that counts)
Army Trip w/ the school - 2012
Working at a club - Current

I seem to be set on what I want to do, which worries me. Feel like I've fixated on Computer Animation and Media and neglected to broaden my options.
Reply 237
This seems like a cool little thread :biggrin:

predicted GCSE grades: 2A*, 9A

A-levels you plan on taking: I'm going to do maths mechanics, biology, chemistry and physics. Only doing maths, biology and chemistry to A2 level, unless I really enjoy/do well in physics.

University plans (if any) : Assuming A-levels go to plan I would love to be a vet surgeon although I know that's a long shot and even with all A*s at sixth form it's really hard to get in. If not then some sort of medical degree (I'd like to do a surgery degree, maybe be a surgeon if I could since I think it's less competitive than being a vet but I don't know) If not that then either chemistry or maths uni degrees. If I did Physics A2 then maybe a physics degree, one of the ones focusing on the universe and space, how the universe was created, etc.

Which university: My dream uni is Cambridge but again I am realistic and know it's very hard to get in obviously. I live near the University of Birmingham, and I know I'm going to apply there if I have the grades, although they don't do a vet course so being a vet surgeon would be out if I went there. I think Nottingham has a vet course, so I'd apply there, and maybe Liverpool too but I don't know what course I'd do at Liverpool out of the ones I'm thinking of.

Work experience: I had to do work experience in year 10 and I did a week at a vet's practice. It definitely put me off of being a vet nurse, however I found the surgeries to be incredibly interesting and just love the idea of performing surgery (am I strange? haha) I was so happy that I wasn't freaked by blood because loads of people warned me that that could happen and I was sure it wouldn't, and it didn't!
Apart from that I haven't done any type of work experience really...
Reply 238
Why are everyone's predicted grades predominantly A's & A*'s? I feel so dumb... -_-
Reply 239
Original post by Duzii
Why are everyone's predicted grades predominantly A's & A*'s? I feel so dumb... -_-

Awww, no need to feel dumb! *hugs*
Everyone works at a different level, and it also depends on your school. Some people on here seem to have like 6A*s or more, something that NO ONE at my school achieves.
As and Bs are still great grades and you should feel happy for them! I feel dumb compared to some people on here too, ;u;

Quick Reply

Latest