The Student Room Group

University doubt

Hello, I'm new so I hope this is the right section for this thread.

I'm attending my last high school year in Italy and I have a doubt on my future undergraduate study.
I applied on UCAS for several uni's and I got a conditional from Brunel and London South Bank for Accounting & Finance.
I will also apply for Bocconi University in Milan.

My question is, in the case that Bocconi offers me a place, which university would you suggest me to attend, considering that I want to become a stockbroker/financial analyst in an investment bank (that in Italy don't exist) , and I want my postgraduate studies to be in England (LSE)?

I hope you'll answer because I'm really uncertain. Thank you
Original post by LukeLuke88

I'm attending my last high school year in Italy and I have a doubt on my future undergraduate study.
I applied on UCAS for several uni's and I got a conditional from Brunel and London South Bank for Accounting & Finance.

My question is, in the case that Bocconi offers me a place, which university would you suggest me to attend, considering that I want to become a stockbroker/financial analyst in an investment bank (that in Italy don't exist) , and I want my postgraduate studies to be in England (LSE)?

London is a big place you may stand more chance there. If what you're doing doesn't exist in a certain place and shows no sign of doing so in the future then maybe that's not a good idea. Besides if you want to do further qualifications in the UK afterwards maybe living over here for a few years studying first would help you out a bit. Get you used to it :') hope i helped :smile: x
Reply 2

Well of those unis Brunel is the better ranked. London South Bank doesn't have a great reputation here. But there are other better unis.
Reply 3
Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla
London is a big place you may stand more chance there. If what you're doing doesn't exist in a certain place and shows no sign of doing so in the future then maybe that's not a good idea. Besides if you want to do further qualifications in the UK afterwards maybe living over here for a few years studying first would help you out a bit. Get you used to it :') hope i helped :smile: x

That may be a good idea. But what I really wondered is, can Brunel/London South Bank + Master in UK give me more career possibilities than Bocconi (much better ranked than those two) + Master in UK?

thank you.
Reply 4
South Bank or Brunel + Master at LSE is the furthest thing from reality, absolutely no way.
On the other hand, Bocconi + LSE is frequent, but you have to be good (a.k.a have an avarage of at least 29/30, not so easy).
Bocconi is much harder, so if you think you can do well choose Bocconi, absolutely. If you know you are weak you might as well stay in one of those 2 unis, but a MSc from LSE is unrealistic. My two cents.
Reply 5
whatever you do choose brunel over london south bank, seriously you'll get taken as a joke....
Reply 6
Original post by robbiee
South Bank or Brunel + Master at LSE is the furthest thing from reality, absolutely no way.
On the other hand, Bocconi + LSE is frequent, but you have to be good (a.k.a have an avarage of at least 29/30, not so easy).
Bocconi is much harder, so if you think you can do well choose Bocconi, absolutely. If you know you are weak you might as well stay in one of those 2 unis, but a MSc from LSE is unrealistic. My two cents.

Why is it so far away from reality?
I can stand a hard uni, I just wanted to understand which of these options could give me the best career prospect.

Original post by SagarG
whatever you do choose brunel over london south bank, seriously you'll get taken as a joke....

Well, Brunel would be my firm choice. My insurance would be one between London South Bank, Middlesex and Kingston.
Reply 7
I would say given Bocconi holds quite a strong international reputation especially in this field, and neither Brunel nor LSB can claim to have that, definitely choose Bocconi if you get an offer. If you don't mind me asking, were your grades not high enough to apply to the likes of Kings, LSE or CASS (or places outside of London such as Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham etc.)?
Reply 8
Why is it so far away from reality?
I can stand a hard uni, I just wanted to understand which of these options could give me the best career prospect.

Well top unis like LSE put a lot of weight on the reputation of the university you attented. Bocconi has a great international reputation, Brunel and South Bank do not have this reputation.
On the other hand, they are infamous for being.. bad (not sure about Brunel tbh).

I think your career would benefit more from a Bocconi education. but do bear in mind that the level is on on par with LSE and similar unis (in terms of hours, course difficulty etc).
I have many friends studying in the UK and their timetables are ridicolous compared to ours at Bocconi, so keep that in mind. It is totally different compared to a UK uni!
Reply 9
Original post by Mathaddict
I would say given Bocconi holds quite a strong international reputation especially in this field, and neither Brunel nor LSB can claim to have that, definitely choose Bocconi if you get an offer. If you don't mind me asking, were your grades not high enough to apply to the likes of Kings, LSE or CASS (or places outside of London such as Warwick, Manchester, Nottingham etc.)?

Yes you can ask and yes that's the reason. Let's just say that I had a bad high school experience.

Original post by robbiee
Well top unis like LSE put a lot of weight on the reputation of the university you attented. Bocconi has a great international reputation, Brunel and South Bank do not have this reputation.
On the other hand, they are infamous for being.. bad (not sure about Brunel tbh).

I think your career would benefit more from a Bocconi education. but do bear in mind that the level is on on par with LSE and similar unis (in terms of hours, course difficulty etc).
I have many friends studying in the UK and their timetables are ridicolous compared to ours at Bocconi, so keep that in mind. It is totally different compared to a UK uni!

I understand. Well, I knew that London south bank wasn't really good, but, based on the reviews I read, thought that Brunel, for accounting&finance, was a pretty good uni.
In conclusion, if i'll get an offer from Bocconi, I'll go there, but given the case that I don't get an offer, if I graduate at London South Bank, Brunel, or Middlesex, can I hope to get a master at other unis in London such as City or Ucl, or other unis with good international reputation?

thanks
Reply 10
Anyone?
South Bank is a crap university that has no respect at all, a sure route to unemployment. Brunel is better regarded but still not great.

Bocconi is vastly better than those two universities and will ultimately be more respected when applying for jobs in the UK.
I don't know if this is the case in Italy but in the UK employers put a large amount of emphasis on which university you did your degree at regardless of what result you actually got.

For example, someone with a 2.2 from LSE would still have a much higher chance of securing employment than someone with a 1st from South Bank or even Brunel.
Yes you can ask and yes that's the reason. Let's just say that I had a bad high school experience.

I understand. Well, I knew that London south bank wasn't really good, but, based on the reviews I read, thought that Brunel, for accounting&finance, was a pretty good uni.
In conclusion, if i'll get an offer from Bocconi, I'll go there, but given the case that I don't get an offer, if I graduate at London South Bank, Brunel, or Middlesex, can I hope to get a master at other unis in London such as City or Ucl, or other unis with good international reputation?

thanks

When applying for Masters courses, it won't matter as much which uni you have been to for your undergrad. What's far more important is that the content of your degree has given you strong enough grounding for the Masters. So as long as Brunel/LSB can provide that, a 1st from either should leave you qualified enough to apply for a Masters at a more prestigious uni.

Work as hard as you can to get your grades up, so that in August, you'd be eligible for UCAS Adjustment: http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/. The top, oversubscribed unis don't participate in Adjustment but you should find some highly respectable names in the list. Alternatively you could just ring up unis with spaces in Clearing and see if you fulfil their requirements.

Just looked at Brunel's entry requirements (AAB/ABB A Level, not sure of the Italian equivalent). I can think of a whole host of solid unis that could be in that grade bracket.
Reply 14
Hello everybody. I would like to know how is the credit system working in brunel ? is it possible to convert my credits from an university to another .. thank you ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending