The Student Room Group

Can I accept an unconditional offer but decline later?

I know the question sounds weird but basically I have 1 day left to accept my offers and I’m having second thoughts about the unis/courses I’m applying for but don’t want to lose the offers.

Is it possible to accept my unconditional offer, then later down the line reject it and go to clearing or just not go at all?

Thanks.
Original post by kakeruu
I know the question sounds weird but basically I have 1 day left to accept my offers and I’m having second thoughts about the unis/courses I’m applying for but don’t want to lose the offers.

Is it possible to accept my unconditional offer, then later down the line reject it and go to clearing or just not go at all?

Thanks.

Yes. Firming an offer, or even going unconditional later, does not bind you to going to that uni. You can self release into clearing on results day, or just choose not to take up your place regardless.
Original post by kakeruu

Thanks.

Hey @kakeruu,

You can definitely accept it now and change your mind at a later date by releasing yourself into Clearing, or by just deciding not to go (you will need to let the university know if you decide to not go and not go into Clearing though, just because they'll begin sending you information about registering as a new student if not!). Its not an unusual thing to do at all, and you definitely wouldn't be the only student doing so or feeling like this at the moment! Lots of students change their mind after finishing up exams and results day, and might decide to take time out or go for something else entirely.

The best advice I can give if you're having doubts about your degree or university choice is to sit down and think about why you chose that subject area initially - what about it do you like? Or alternatively - what about it is causing you to have doubts? I find making a honest pro's and con's list of studying that subject area or at that university can be helpful to get all your thoughts down and in one place, which might help with you making a decision. Even if its something you think is minor, its good to include it in your lists!

If you do decide to go through Clearing to find a new course/university its absolutely not the end of the world - I personally got into my university by Clearing and it was the best decision I made, so its a great way to find a different path!

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Reply 3
If you're having second thoughts it sounds like it might be a good idea to talk to someone about what you're considering and the best way forward. Accept the offers and then find someone to talk to at school/college to get some advice.
Reply 4
Yes, and you can also ask to defer an offer/place for a year to give yourself even more thinking time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending