The Student Room Group

I don't fully understand who pays for what at uni

Ok, so university courses cost about 9k, but is this just for your first year, or all 3? If it's only for the first year, how do you pay for your others? I guess it would be from a job, but what if you can't get a job as a student? Also, how do you pay for student accommodation? What funds do you exactly receive?

My mum can't really give me much when I go to uni as she's a one parent family, and currently supporting us with job seekers allowance, etc.

I'm planning to study law at KCL, and I understand that living in London is very expensive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's 9k per year, but that is entirely paid for by student finance - they pay this straight to the university. They also give you a maintenance loan, which normally covers most of your rent. If your parents have low income, you get more of this loan and if its very low you get a grant on top of that. If not though, you will need to get a job or have some money from parents for food etc.
Reply 2
It's £9k every year for which you can get a loan for.
Reply 3
University is £9,000 per year (in more institutions at least, sometimes it can be low as £6k a year but that's rare) To pay for this, you get a tuition fee loan from student finance which covers the full cost of your tuition fees and it gets paid directly to the University, you will never actually see the money. You'll have to apply for the loan every year of your degree.
For student accommodation you get a maintenance loan which covers living costs. It varies from around £4500k - £6500k if you're studying in London. You will get paid a third of this at the start of every term into your bank account to pay for accommodation, food, basic living things. You will pay this back once you begin to earn over £21k along side your tuition fee loan.
If your family income is under a certain threshold, it varies between Universities but usually under £25,000k a year, you will also be eligible for a bursary which comes directly from the University you're attending, they can be around £1000 but it varies and you don't have to pay this back. Hope this helps!
Fees are £9,000 per year (you may be eligible for fee waivers as you're from a low income household) and this is paid each year by Student Finance England. You apply for that each year.

You will also get a maintenance loan (and probably a big grant too, given your household income) with which to pay for accommodation, food, and general living. This is paid to you and it is your responsibility to manage it properly. My tip for it is to work out how much you have per week to live on (after rent etc) and transfer a bit less than that each week into an account you actually use to live off.

Also I write down absolutely everything I spend, which helps.

Living in London is expensive, but you get a slightly larger finance package from SFE to help with that.
Original post by milienhaus
It's 9k per year, but that is entirely paid for by student finance - they pay this straight to the university. They also give you a maintenance loan, which normally covers most of your rent. If your parents have low income, you get more of this loan and if its very low you get a grant on top of that. If not though, you will need to get a job or have some money from parents for food etc.

Thanks everyone for the responses, I understand now. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how you support funding for MA's and PhD's? Are you expected to pay for this yourself, or do you get help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Enthusiastic A
Does anyone know how you support funding for MA's and PhD's? Are you expected to pay for this yourself, or do you get help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In short
-No student finance help
-A limited number of university scholarships for students of varying ammounts (university dependant)
-some charitable organisations offer money to students in need
-Some offer alumni discounts
-I know for Phd's there are studentships

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending