The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

important stuff

ok, fed up of reading about accommidation. would love to know some more ins and outs of nottingham. like, wheres the nearest super market to uni park, or cheapest. wheres the most student friendly place to get ure hair done, or eat, or or or or anything really which you guys who already there go to. how do the buses work, are they reliable. ermm, anything information which u think might be important but nothing to do with accommidation or courses :biggrin: thanks XXXX (sorry about my spelling :redface:)

Scroll to see replies

The buses are pretty good and frequent. A Kangaroo is £2.70 and gets you unlimited travel for the day around the area.

There are loads of places to eat. If you want cheap and cheerful, Bella Italia in Market Square does a 50% student discount with NUS on a Monday night, and I think 20% on other nights. I've also been to Zizi's, the Slug and Lettuce, Ultimate Burger and Skinny Sumo (more expensive, but great fun for a date!) amongst others.

There are student discounts all over the place. You can get a Tribus card for free by filling in a form in thr Hog's Head or Yates', and then you get 25% off all food and drinks apart from on Friday or Saturday nights in those bars. Joining the Law Society even if you don't do law will get you a law card, and therefore discounts in load of bars and restaurants all over town... or get lucky and find half your best friends are lawyers and save yourself the bother of getting your own!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
What's the city centre like? I went around the campus and on the bus from the railway station, but never actually to the city centre! Shops etc...

Is it ok roughness-wise? There's so much negative press, yet some of my friends there speak really highly of it!
Reply 3
Supermarkets: Sainsbury's in Beeston is the nearest to campus and walking distance from. Although I recommend you use your rucksack and bike/board/skates combo to save on arm-ache. Going one better, it's always a good idea to utilise your parents / a friend's / your new friend's / your car for shopping trips, especially if you're the sort who needs many bottles of cola or lemonade to survive. Carry four 2L from Beeston to campus in plastic shopping bags and you'll ruddy well know about it.

There's also a Sainsbury's in near Lenton Blvd in Castle Marina, and a Asda in Radford.
I think the city centre is great. It's great for shopping (I bought the most lovely outfit the other day...) and I've never seen any 'roughness' myself... I presume that'd because I haven't been into the rough areas! It's so alive at night as well, it's brilliant.
Reply 5
Lady_Muck
What's the city centre like? I went around the campus and on the bus from the railway station, but never actually to the city centre! Shops etc...

Is it ok roughness-wise? There's so much negative press, yet some of my friends there speak really highly of it!

In the top five city centres for shopping in the UK. They are also systematically rebuilding the entire city centre; Market Square is currently being dug up, the Corner House is fairly new and the large multi-storey car park behind it is now rubble, and over the next few years the whole of the Broadmarsh area, including the bus station and Ocean nightclub will be razed and rebuilt akin to the new Bull Ring in Brum.

Roughness? Only at 1am Saturday / Sunday morning.
Reply 6
Is there wat we call a mall there, and not just like a strip of alot of shops, but like a huge mall? I was wondering cause i dont really see too many if not no malls in england yet...
There's two shopping centres, Victoria and Broadmarsh. They're not HUGE, but they're quite big!
Reply 8
RachelBabyfrog
There's two shopping centres, Victoria and Broadmarsh. They're not HUGE, but they're quite big!

Sweeeet deal, as long as it has a food court, a few clothing stores and like electronics, and of course foot locker im happy:biggrin: and another thing how does the internet inside ur dorm room work, and like telephone, and tv could i get cable even?
Reply 9
Yep got all that and much more. You pay about £70 for the internet for the whole year and you get a lead that connects you to the network. There aren't tv points in your room so the signal is pretty awful. You'll be surprised how little tv you watch though - theres too much else going on!
Reply 10
you can get 10 kangaroo's in booklet form for 26 pounds.
that's a 10p saving on each ticket. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
lots of useful info, thanks guys. how about hair salons. tho i only get mine done once every 6 months just wondered. and also could u walk to town or am i just being silly. have visited but was in car, cant remember how far it was from town. thanks :smile:
Yeah, I have walked into town before, but will take about 40mins so I don't do it regularly. Why not take a bus, it really isn't that expensive. Or you could go to a salon in Beeston which is 10mins walking from campus.
Reply 13
MightyMeanie
lots of useful info, thanks guys. how about hair salons. tho i only get mine done once every 6 months just wondered. and also could u walk to town or am i just being silly. have visited but was in car, cant remember how far it was from town. thanks :smile:

depends -- if you want a proper salon, there are loads in the city, there's one that do student discounts in beeston.. or if you want the really cheap alternative for a trip (for guys) you can go to this pakistani barber place called Arshad's (sp?), its 4 quid for students and he does a really good trim.
Reply 14
Or there's one in the union. xx
Reply 15
what about girly places, for highlights and stuff :redface:
I can just imagine the one in the union absolutely ruining my hair!

The campus with derby hall etc on - that's uni park isn't it?
Reply 17
yup. xx
Reply 18
Candino
Is there wat we call a mall there, and not just like a strip of alot of shops, but like a huge mall? I was wondering cause i dont really see too many if not no malls in england yet...

There's a mall in just about every town and city.
Reply 19
S-J
There's a mall in just about every town and city.

There are two in Nottingham.

Latest

Trending

Trending