The Student Room Group

Self teaching a-level?

Has anyone self taught an a-level subject? What resources did you use?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sunfowers01

I've self-taught maths. I just used the textbooks then did past papers, because maths is relatively straightforward that way. which subject are you thinking of doing?
Reply 2
I'm self-teaching english lit, history, gen studies,critical thinking and further maths on top of my college schedule, bio, chem, maths and physics.

I just use text books, the notes lecturers from the respective departments give students and I make sure I photocopy any notes made on theory etc off people I know.

It's difficult to juggle if you want a social life, I will admit, but it's not too bad. Next year I will only do 4-5 subjects to free up some time. :smile:
In honesty, unless you have an aptitude for the subject and a reason for doing it -- like a full timetable, for example -- then I wouldn't bother.
I only self-study because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after A Levels. I figured that science would be more difficult to learn outside of the classroom relative to humanities hence my choice of timetabled and self-studied subjects.

If I didn't have oxbridge prep and HE+ lectures then I would certainly stop self-teaching however they are incredibly useful so it would be foolish for me to place them out for other subjects.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I figured that science would be more difficult to learn outside of the classroom relative to humanities hence my choice of timetabled and self-studied subjects.

I would've thought it was the other way around. Science A-Levels are so basic, you can learn the facts from the textbooks, but analytical skills are harder to learn from a textbook.
Reply 4
Chemistry, Biology and physics may be slightly hard to self teach. Subjects that are clear cut in a textbook and well known, such as computing, should be slightly easier. Just make sure that you do a lot of past papers, so you can keep track of your level (on AQA and OCR website).
Reply 5
I'm self-teaching alevel further maths and just finished the course two weeks ago, you just need to dedicate a lot of time and effort to it, use the correct books; use online resources such as examsolutions for help and try to understand the concepts
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
I've self-taught maths. I just used the textbooks then did past papers, because maths is relatively straightforward that way. which subject are you thinking of doing?

I started teaching AS maths in mid january .. I am finished the course now...

It's so much more time efficient!

How long did it take you and what modules did you take?:smile:
Original post by madfish
I started teaching AS maths in mid january .. I am finished the course now...

It's so much more time efficient!

How long did it take you and what modules did you take?:smile:

Hehe, I did AS maths during the last term of year 10,then throughout year 11. We went through it really slowly because we weren't pushed at all, they just let us get on with it. However, recently I've self-studied M2, and it's taken me about 15 hours of lessons to do the whole module.
I self-studied C1,C2, S1, M1, M2, and was taught other modules.
Reply 8
Original post by PythianLegume
Hehe, I did AS maths during the last term of year 10,then throughout year 11. We went through it really slowly because we weren't pushed at all, they just let us get on with it. However, recently I've self-studied M2, and it's taken me about 15 hours of lessons to do the whole module.
I self-studied C1,C2, S1, M1, M2, and was taught other modules.

it's pretty easy tbh

do you listen to music while learning it or just zone out?
Reply 9
Original post by madfish
it's pretty easy tbh

do you listen to music while learning it or just zone out?
Woah did you just see the swarm of negs on every single post O_o, and although this isn't a question directed at me, I mostly listen to music while doing maths
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Robbie242
Woah did you just see the swarm of negs on every single post O_o, and although this isn't a question directed at me, I mostly listen to music while doing maths

yea hahaha I did it for the fun of it... I want to subscribe soon anyway so no biggie

and I try but I cannot fully concentrate

I love it when I become fully engaged in maths and just completely zone out, its hard to get to that point though
Reply 11
I'm self-teaching alevel further maths and just finished the course two weeks ago, you just need to dedicate a lot of time and effort to it, use the correct books; use online resources such as examsolutions for help and try to understand the concepts

someone negged you for that

WHY!? JUST WHY?! :confused:
Reply 12
Original post by madfish
yea hahaha I did it for the fun of it... I want to subscribe soon anyway so no biggie

and I try but I cannot fully concentrate

I love it when I become fully engaged in maths and just completely zone out, its hard to get to that point though
Hmm okay :P have fun wasting money xP

Depends what music tbh, sometimes I listen to rock, and other times video game music (as it has far less lyrics, and classical music in general to motivate myself)

I've done a ton of maths today, although only mechanics I love every second of it; the satisfaction of getting a correct answer is amazing, and the processes to get there are so interesting (especially mechanics and core)
Reply 13

Depends what music tbh, sometimes I listen to rock, and other times video game music (as it has far less lyrics, and classical music in general to motivate myself)

I've done a ton of maths today, although only mechanics I love every second of it; the satisfaction of getting a correct answer is amazing, and the processes to get there are so interesting (especially mechanics and core)

damn youve put me off the notion now :redface: haha

yea i love it, I LOVE MATHS haha

I have actually been looking into the rhiemann hypothesis amongst other things and i
Reply 14

lolol yea so true, i might not sub then :frown:

and yea i love maths it's brilliant and so useful

i just bloody love it!! haha iv started looking into godels and rhimanns theorums you should check them out it's quite weird/interesting at the same time

also, what would you say mathematics is? I used to say it was the language of the universe but now I have no idea

whats your view?:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by madfish
damn youve put me off the notion now :redface: haha

yea i love it, I LOVE MATHS haha

I have actually been looking into the rhiemann hypothesis amongst other things and i
I've noticed by you constantly posting it everywhere :P The only thing I dislike about you fish is your attitude to other subjects at times, maths isn't the only useful subject you know!

But its nice to see your enjoying the maths self-study (by far my favourite subject at alevel) it offers so much freedom, challenge and integrity, nothing is quite like it to me. And I want to Get the hell out of history asap, failing big-time on that
Reply 16
I've noticed by you constantly posting it everywhere :P The only thing I dislike about you fish is your attitude to other subjects at times, maths isn't the only useful subject you know!

But its nice to see your enjoying the maths self-study (by far my favourite subject at alevel) it offers so much freedom, challenge and integrity, nothing is quite like it to me. And I want to Get the hell out of history asap, failing big-time on that

haha yea i can be quite condescending towards other non mathematical/scientific subjects. The truth is I would be awful at English lit/ history but none the less they are terrific subjects :smile:

Just take it with a pinch of salt :wink:

as with me and biology

I am stuck on the decision of whether to self teach c3,c4 and s1 over summer and keep biology on OR do no maths over summer and drop biology..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by madfish
lolol yea so true, i might not sub then :frown:

and yea i love maths it's brilliant and so useful

i just bloody love it!! haha iv started looking into godels and rhimanns theorums you should check them out it's quite weird/interesting at the same time

also, what would you say mathematics is? I used to say it was the language of the universe but now I have no idea

whats your view?:smile:

What would I define mathematics as? I would say that mathematics is the foundation of all numerical understandings, proofs and theorems, it holds key significance in day-to-day life and is a vital part of society. Though I'm quite bad on conjuring definitions.
Reply 18
What would I define mathematics as? I would say that mathematics is the foundation of all numerical understandings, proofs and theorems, it holds key significance in day-to-day life and is a vital part of society. Though I'm quite bad on conjuring definitions.

i think its astounding that it can be used to describe everything and physicists such as micho kaku or on the brink of finding a 1 inch long mathematical expression that sums up the universe

Look up string theory, it so so interesting

now that; is outstanding

Ah robbie you should take up physics!! AS is so easy.. especially the mechanics part! youd ace it! and I can see that you're a more mathematically inclined human therefore you'd be better at sci ency subjects :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

I self taught biology, psychology and geography. It's perfectly possible, all you have to do is read the syllabus and textbook, and do practice papers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest