The Student Room Group

Would you save much money in the military?

You get food and accommodation paid for right? And while serving would you be spending much money?

Seems on paper like you would come out after say 5years with an awful lot in the bank. Is this the case?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Then you'd struggle to find a job and end up on the doll or in prison.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case with many ex-soldiers. It's not worth it, you're not treated with enough respect or aid when you leave so don't bother.
Reply 2
You don't get it paid for, you're expected to pay it yourself.
However, mess and accommodation prices are extremely cheap.
Depending on what regiment you go for, the training you will receive can aid you to get VERY well paid jobs. So please ignore the other poster who said its not worth it. Just look how much G4S pay.

To answer your question yes you can save a lot during your time. Like I said, depends on what you go in for and how much time you'll be away on ops.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by A5ko

Unfortunately that seems to be the case with many ex-soldiers. It's not worth it, you're not treated with enough respect or aid when you leave so don't bother.

What on earth are you on about? Military training is considered one of the most valuable assets in almost any career imaginable.

You pay for your own food most of the time, depending on circumstance. Alot of staff do save alot of money however, because it's extremely cheap and the pay is good. I know numerous individuals who have come out of service with investments and stability waiting for them.
You pay for food and accommodation when not on operations - you always have done.

If you can manage your money, you might be OK. If not, you won't be. Many people find it very easy to spend everything without thinking about the future and whilst the pay isn't bad, it isn't awesome once you have things like loans etc to pay for.
Reply 6
Original post by bestofyou
You get food and accommodation paid for right? And while serving would you be spending much money?

Seems on paper like you would come out after say 5years with an awful lot in the bank. Is this the case?

If you live in the provided accommodation it is very possible to save a lot of money. However most people move out after a few years as it's a bit like living in halls of residence with the same issues of privacy and personal space. People who stick it out for longer can often afford nice cars or invest their money for later.

Everyone pays for their food and lodgings, but as has been previously stated it is run on a break-even basis rather than being profit making. I find it odd to say that you wouldn't spend money whilst being in the services, just because you have a job in the military it doesn't mean that you won't buy books/ DVDs/ Games/ Car etc.
Original post by A5ko

Learning to spell might do you some good. Many employers value the experience ex-military personnel can bring to a company.

Aid when you leave? How does ££££ worth of training sound?
Reply 8
You certainly can save a lot of the base pay if you want to, though a lot of people in the Forces fall into the trap of spending most of what they earn.
Reply 9
Original post by bestofyou
You get food and accommodation paid for right?

Nope - you pay for those out of your wage, it's not extortionate though :holmes:
You tend to save when on Ops. It's easy to come back with £10k plus from a 4 month det.
I think non-commissioned ranks pay something like £56 a month for accommodation and the 0.60p a day for mess food. Which is very good if you intend to save money but there a bunch of subsidised activities. Plus when your on ops or on traing food and accommodation is free.

If you want to travel they subsidis it, so you go out with a bunch of other people and a trainer from the forces (stuff like skiing and trekking). There was some talk about scrapping this or reducing when the MoD had to make cuts. They do support you to do qualifications and traing even if it's like a GCSE in maths because you failed in school. Dental and healthcare is all free as well.

Edit: I met to write 60p a meal, but thats from my memory.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Steevee
You certainly can save a lot of the base pay if you want to, though a lot of people in the Forces fall into the trap of spending most of what they earn.

I fell into that trap, kicking myself for it now but hindsights a bitch. I'd Dave quite a bit when away on your then have an epic post tour leave and spend what I'd saved. Was an awful lot of fun though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by moonkatt
I fell into that trap, kicking myself for it now but hindsights a bitch. I'd Dave quite a bit when away on your then have an epic post tour leave and spend what I'd saved. Was an awful lot of fun though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I had a friend that came back after his frist tour and blew it all on a brand new car, sold it two years later for less than half the price, stupid sod.
Reply 14
Original post by Steevee
Yeah, I had a friend that came back after his frist tour and blew it all on a brand new car, sold it two years later for less than half the price, stupid sod.

guess thats the thing about cars. It is just one of those things that regardless of the condition, the second you buy it, it has already lost value. My first car will be made from solid gold...like to see that depreciate in value.
Original post by Astrtricks
I think non-commissioned ranks pay something like £56 a month for accommodation and the 0.60p a day for mess food.

A couple of pounds a day for accommodation and about £4.50 per day for 3 meals is the current rate for Private / SAC.
Reply 16
Original post by ProStacker
A couple of pounds a day for accommodation and about £4.50 per day for 3 meals is the current rate for Private / SAC.

Sadly Daily Food Charge is pretty much a thing of the past.

Most messes these days are on Pay As You Dine and it's about £1.20 for breakfast, £2 for lunch and £2.50 for dinner.
Accommodation generally costs £50-120 a month depending on what grade your accom is.

As for saving money in the forces, as ProStacker says it's easy if you're good with money, but even easier to spend if you're not.
Original post by Steevee

The saying amongst My Uncle's friends was always- 1st tour gets you a car, 2nd, a wife and 3rd a divorce.
Reply 18
There is also a 'tradition' among some to go for the SOUP soon after starting. The Single Officer Useless Purchase. Blowing a large amount of your first big payslip on something that's somewhat of a luxury and, in hindsight, pretty silly.

Such things I've seen have been £2000 racing bikes, the Lego Death Star, Porsches, ridiculously large flatscreen TVs...
Reply 19
Original post by Drewski
There is also a 'tradition' among some to go for the SOUP soon after starting. The Single Officer Useless Purchase. Blowing a large amount of your first big payslip on something that's somewhat of a luxury and, in hindsight, pretty silly.

Such things I've seen have been £2000 racing bikes, the Lego Death Star, Porsches, ridiculously large flatscreen TVs...

Skis and BMWs seem to be the popular choices amongst my colleagues.

Quick Reply

Latest