The Student Room Group

barely legal drivers

Just saw an advert for this starting on bbc 3, surely you can't make a documentary on this , they should be arrested for dangerous driving, and just filming them do it is irresponsible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SO you suggest arresting every young driver who makes a mistake or listens to music?, that trailer showed nothing more than what most young/new drivers do but they added a few noises and faces of parents to make it more dramatic.
Reply 2
Original post by mje1986
SO you suggest arresting every young driver who makes a mistake or listens to music?, that trailer showed nothing more than what most young/new drivers do but they added a few noises and faces of parents to make it more dramatic.

I've never driven like that :colonhash:
It's up for next Tuesday right? Gotta check it out.
Oh fantastic, as if we didn't have a bad enough reputation already...
"Tommy's behaviour both in and out of the car is a cause for concern for his parents as he inflates condoms, snogs his way round clubs and even gets breathalysed."

Because adults never do that? *facepalm*

I'm going to watch this just so I can be angry about it.
My parents are pretty relaxed about most things, but if I go to a party, they will not let me take a lift back with friends. I have to get a taxi and they insist on seeing the receipt, so that they know I did so. Their argument is that my friends are legally allowed to drive but aren't yet experienced, they are driving at night (unfamiliar conditions which don't happen in lessons or in the test), they may have been drinking (even if they say they haven't), and they're on the road at times when other drivers may also be less than 100% competent. It's kind of irritating being told what to do by parents, but given the number of my friends who have already been in accidents, I can see their point.
Just watched it, I thought it was biased. You'll see why if you watch it, I don't want to spoil it. But Chantelle drove much worse in my opinion as you saw on the trailer. As for whether they should get arrested for dangerous driving its hard to say, but they should all definitely be put on an advance driving course after. The cop was harsh on Tommy though, he was a pretty calm driver compared to Chantelle and he was in a car full of lads afterall.

What do you guys think of the show?
Original post by anthonyla65
Just watched it, I thought it was biased. You'll see why if you watch it, I don't want to spoil it. But Chantelle drove much worse in my opinion as you saw on the trailer. As for whether they should get arrested for dangerous driving its hard to say, but they should all definitely be put on an advance driving course after. The cop was harsh on Tommy though, he was a pretty calm driver compared to Chantelle and he was in a car full of lads afterall.

What do you guys think of the show?

I agree with u. Tommy weren't that bad, I think it was just the last test that let him down, but Chantelle was terrible. I think she only got it because they felt sorry for her, because she started 2 cry. If I had 2 choose, I'd rather drie with Tommy.
It's not a bad show though.
Reply 9
What was that supposed advanced driving course ???!!!

Looked like a few hours off road to me which taught nowt for on road driving
Reply 10
Original post by ROG.
What was that supposed advanced driving course ???!!!

Looked like a few hours off road to me which taught nowt for on road driving

And abit of how to control a car in a skid, which is sod all use unless you do lots of practise because if it does happen when you are driving you won't have time to think about how you were taught to do it, it has to be instinctive otherwise it is too late. However the actual focus should have been how to avoid getting the car into a skid.

That police women was abit of a bitch though, Tommy drove fine 95% of the time, he did speed abit (however it was on a quiet motorway and only to get up to 100 and then he brought it back down again), that really slow driver in the fast lane 99% of drivers would have done what he did and Tommy wasn't the one to was swearing at them then it was his mates. Yes he was going to drink and drive, however I think he was pretty shocked how over the limit he was and wasn't intending to drink drive and thus would have been more careful in the future.

The girl on the other hand had NO sense of direction (how the hell can you spend 2 hours looking for a hotel of which you have directions too), she got bad road rage alot of the time however because she stopped using her phone whilst driving and started to cry at the end the police person said she was fine?????????
(edited 11 years ago)
Actually, the bad driving was not on purpose. The ppl being filmed where told it was for some reality show,like only way is Essex, and they were tricked!! Some of the actors are actually gonna sue!!
Reply 12
The sob story bit annoyed me...
"I don't want people to feel sorry for me, I don't even want people to know" after announcing it on a television show
At least it got her a car though :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Pastaferian
My parents are pretty relaxed about most things, but if I go to a party, they will not let me take a lift back with friends. I have to get a taxi and they insist on seeing the receipt, so that they know I did so. Their argument is that my friends are legally allowed to drive but aren't yet experienced, they are driving at night (unfamiliar conditions which don't happen in lessons or in the test), they may have been drinking (even if they say they haven't), and they're on the road at times when other drivers may also be less than 100% competent. It's kind of irritating being told what to do by parents, but given the number of my friends who have already been in accidents, I can see their point.

You need to get better friends if you think they might drink and then tell you they haven't before driving.

I guess the benefit of driving the cars I did when I was younger was that it gave my friend's parents the impression that I could be trusted behind the wheel. I never had any problems with parents saying I couldn't take my friends out, even late at night or home from parties.
Original post by Nuffles
You need to get better friends if you think they might drink and then tell you they haven't before driving.

I guess the benefit of driving the cars I did when I was younger was that it gave my friend's parents the impression that I could be trusted behind the wheel. I never had any problems with parents saying I couldn't take my friends out, even late at night or home from parties.

You misread it - that was my parents concern, not mine. I trust my friends more than my parents do.
Original post by lbsf1
And abit of how to control a car in a skid, which is sod all use unless you do lots of practise because if it does happen when you are driving you won't have time to think about how you were taught to do it, it has to be instinctive otherwise it is too late. However the actual focus should have been how to avoid getting the car into a skid.

That police women was abit of a bitch though, Tommy drove fine 95% of the time, he did speed abit (however it was on a quiet motorway and only to get up to 100 and then he brought it back down again), that really slow driver in the fast lane 99% of drivers would have done what he did and Tommy wasn't the one to was swearing at them then it was his mates. Yes he was going to drink and drive, however I think he was pretty shocked how over the limit he was and wasn't intending to drink drive and thus would have been more careful in the future.

The girl on the other hand had NO sense of direction (how the hell can you spend 2 hours looking for a hotel of which you have directions too), she got bad road rage alot of the time however because she stopped using her phone whilst driving and started to cry at the end the police person said she was fine?????????

I totally agree! Tommy drove absolutely fine, only proper mistake he did was getting into the car drunk, but an advanced driving course isn't going to help with that...
Chantelle though - wasn't even holding the steering wheel for most of the journey! I wanted to punch her - especially when she started crying to get sympathy :angry:

It was an interesting show to watch - Not watching it again though.
Reply 16
Original post by Future-doc
Actually, the bad driving was not on purpose. The ppl being filmed where told it was for some reality show,like only way is Essex, and they were tricked!! Some of the actors are actually gonna sue!!

I have quite openly told my parents that if they decided to do any of this shiz with me for a tv show then I will never trust them again.

However it has confused my on why on all of these shows (eg sun,sea and suspicious parents), that even for the second series of the show which must have been filmed after the first was aired that no one got suspicious on why they were being filmed and caught on to the idea of the show.
Original post by lbsf1
I have quite openly told my parents that if they decided to do any of this shiz with me for a tv show then I will never trust them again.

However it has confused my on why on all of these shows (eg sun,sea and suspicious parents), that even for the second series of the show which must have been filmed after the first was aired that no one got suspicious on why they were being filmed and caught on to the idea of the show.

They cannot show the footage without the 'star' signing an agreement. For 'sun,sea and suspicious parents' I imagine they pay the party animal a decent sum if, and only if, s/he allows the footage to be used.

On one reality show ('Tool Academy'?) they recruited guys by telling them they were entering some sort of macho contest with a prize of X. On arrival, they were told the true purpose of the show, and told the prize was 2*X. The extra prize money convinced the guys to stay and go through with the show.
Original post by Rump Steak
I totally agree! Tommy drove absolutely fine, only proper mistake he did was getting into the car drunk, but an advanced driving course isn't going to help with that...
Chantelle though - wasn't even holding the steering wheel for most of the journey! I wanted to punch her - especially when she started crying to get sympathy :angry:

It was an interesting show to watch - Not watching it again though.

He did also decide to go 100mph because his mates told him he was going too slow, although it was peer pressure he shouldn't amount to it.

Chantelle was a hell of an angry driver but as they said you could tell by the last drive she was starting to change, or maybe I'm just being sympathetic over it or being lenient but I thought she did make improvements. Honestly I thought Tommy was a better driver and Chantelle was worth, really though none of them deserved a new car.

I found it slightly funny at bits by how ridiculous it was at times, like when Chantelle was eating McDonalds and when she was eating sandwich and dropped it all over the place. I'd watch it again but only for the entertainment factor. :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Pastaferian
They cannot show the footage without the 'star' signing an agreement. For 'sun,sea and suspicious parents' I imagine they pay the party animal a decent sum if, and only if, s/he allows the footage to be used.

On one reality show ('Tool Academy'?) they recruited guys by telling them they were entering some sort of macho contest with a prize of X. On arrival, they were told the true purpose of the show, and told the prize was 2*X. The extra prize money convinced the guys to stay and go through with the show.

Yeah I know that, what I was wondering was how do the teens not realize the real purpose of the show (especially in sun sea and suspicious parents where there had already been a series aired).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending