The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucindaellaaa
Yeah, thats exactly what I did :smile: I explained the bonds too, you get marks for the bonds (I like studied the haemoglobic question for my first exam ahha).
Then it said say three things different from Haemoglobin and Collagen;
I put Haemoglobin is globular, but collagen is Fibrous.
Haemoglobin has 4 sub units, Collagen has 3.
Haemoglobin consists of 2 alpha and 2 beta, but Collagen has just 3 alphas.
They used the prosthetic group as the example, I was like WHAT R U DOING.:mad:

I litteraly wrote the same thing

Good times :smile:
Original post by krishkmistry
Anyone put that tb is transmitted by contaminated beef ? I've deffo seen this in a lot of papers previous to this one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought TB was badgers .. but i think it's transmitted by droplets mostly but, it can be caught by eating meat too :smile:
Original post by student_1995
Technically you're meant to underline or italicise latin names, but OCR don't seem to mind this. I couldn't remember the first bit so I just but M. Bovis (which the text book says.)

It will need Mycobacterium and either bovis or tuberculosis :/
Reply 1883
Original post by niceguy95
Because when writing the name according to binomial system you underline if it's handwritten

Original post by student_1995
Technically you're meant to underline or italicise latin names, but OCR don't seem to mind this. I couldn't remember the first bit so I just but M. Bovis (which the text book says.)

Oh right okay, I understand now, I don't think they would be that specific as long as you written the right answer
Original post by YaprakDokumu
For the question about the pathogen, didn't you have to talk about lymphocytes because they also help destroy the pathogen (killer T cells). I wrote nothing about the process of phagocytosis, but wrote about antigen presenting and clonal expansion and differentiation and what they all do and so on........ please anyone??

The question wanted phagocytosis as it said after the bacterial pathogen has bound to the receptor on a phagocyte :/
Original post by kited4
uhhh i put primary structure for the first questions xD is that wrong?

so did I! My teacher said it's primary structure :smile:
I thought TB was badgers .. but i think it's transmitted by droplets mostly but, it can be caught by eating meat too :smile:

Haha well I've just checked it and they accepted it so il be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the 6 marker on collagen,

did they want you to describe primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structures?

As well as some specifics (every 3rd is glycine) ?
Original post by Munrot07
The question wanted phagocytosis as it said after the bacterial pathogen has bound to the receptor on a phagocyte :/

I know but when it does that it is digested and the antigens are presented on the phagocyte's surface... the other pathogens in the body are destroyed by killer Ts as well aren't they??
Guys, I wrote for the selective breeding that two plants with high disease resistance were taken and bred assexually, to produce a offspring that also had high yield, then I said about removing the plants without disease resistance and how you could test this, then I said about inbreeding the plants etc... I also said it takes a long time over many generations but eventually the allele for disease resistance would become more common

How many marks would I receive for this? Thanks
Original post by Blashnet
For the 6 marker on collagen,

did they want you to describe primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary structures?

As well as some specifics (every 3rd is glycine) ?

Yeah, you can easily get 6 marks if you didn't include specifics :smile: you'll get a mark for something silly like 'hydrogen bonds form during the secondary structure' so, definitely:smile:
I know but when it does that it is digested and the antigens are presented on the phagocyte's surface... the other pathogens in the body are destroyed by killer Ts as well aren't they??

Since the bacterial pathogen has already been digested and destroyed, only the antigens remain
Also, is high tensile strength a correct feature for collagen?
Original post by ellie2996
Guys, I wrote for the selective breeding that two plants with high disease resistance were taken and bred assexually, to produce a offspring that also had high yield, then I said about removing the plants without disease resistance and how you could test this, then I said about inbreeding the plants etc... I also said it takes a long time over many generations but eventually the allele for disease resistance would become more common

How many marks would I receive for this? Thanks

You should get most of the marks for that. They did also ask for a bit about how to increase the genetic diversity I think, so they would've wanted 'geographically separated' etc. But yeah, you should get most marks for that as it was mainly asking for an explanation of selective breeding.
Original post by Munrot07
Since the bacterial pathogen has already been digested and destroyed, only the antigens remain

what about other invaded cells?
Yeah, you can easily get 6 marks if you didn't include specifics :smile: you'll get a mark for something silly like 'hydrogen bonds form during the secondary structure' so, definitely:smile:

yay :biggrin:
Reply 1896
For the question about the pathogen, didn't you have to talk about lymphocytes because they also help destroy the pathogen (killer T cells). I wrote nothing about the process of phagocytosis, but wrote about antigen presenting and clonal expansion and differentiation and what they all do and so on........ please anyone??

The differentiation of T-killer cells and lymphocytes does destroy pathogens and does happen after the pathogen has bound to the phagocyte. I can't remember the exact question, but I included phagocytosis and lymphocytes etc. I hope both are creditworthy!!
Original post by MarkProbio
Completely agree.

I also don't see why they would put the length of the water bear and NOT the length of the phagocyte, unless it was relevant in some way.
Reply 1898
Original post by krishkmistry
However did you put all your figures to the decimal places on the stated figures - that's a mark I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

NOOO! :frown:

How many decimal places was it?
what about other invaded cells?

This question does seem to have everyone confused, i read it as just the individual bacterial pathogen that was bound to the phagocyte :/

Latest

Trending

Trending