The Student Room Group

Spoken language

I am currently in year 10 and I have got a 3000 word essay (given up to 3 hours to complete) when I get back to school to do with spoken language, my question is how does Waterloo road represent actual speech? I have two transcripts, one is an episode of Waterloo road and the other is a spontaneous conversation between me and 3 friends that was recorded whilst we were doing a team activity. Do you have any tips for me and what to include I am really worried and this is an important grade:smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

I've done the same thing, I'm currently in year 10. We had to compare two scripts, one on waterloo road and the other spontaneous. We only had 2 hours. We haven't got our grades yet, however, our teacher told us to contrast and compare. So pick up a word or a phrase and start comparing it with the other script. And say how this word is said and why? Also, say what would this reveal about the character. In addition, suggest why this certain character is speaking in this way. (E.g. In work you talk less informal than at home)

Thats what I've got for now. If you need more info. Please PM me and I will try to help you further more.

Omar,
Reply 2
Original post by Georgiaa-school
I am currently in year 10 and I have got a 3000 word essay (given up to 3 hours to complete) when I get back to school to do with spoken language, my question is how does Waterloo road represent actual speech? I have two transcripts, one is an episode of Waterloo road and the other is a spontaneous conversation between me and 3 friends that was recorded whilst we were doing a team activity. Do you have any tips for me and what to include I am really worried and this is an important grade:smile:

Acknowledge that your 'spontaneous conversation' is not natural for starters (i.e. it is being recorded and the conversation is structured by the team activity). Secondly, point out the paradox. The conversations in Waterloo Road are natural, but of course they not. Someone has written a script. Then focus on actual language features and relate this to broader more interesting relationships. For example, do adults use different language when speaking to children? Do teachers have a distinctive way of speaking to children which is different to other adults? How does this affect the way children communicate? What about the age of the students? Is the students' communication what you expect (i.e. is it natural or does it feel scripted [remember the programme goes out before the watershed and has a family audience])?

There is loads you can talk about really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending