The Student Room Group

Getting paid at wrong minimum wages. Will this affect my working record or NI?

I have been working part-time before I got 21 years old just a few weeks. My employer paid me at minimum wage rate of 18-20 years old (4.98 pounds). I still get paid as before because my boss does not know that it has past my birthday. It was partly my fault that I did not tell her. I still got tips money from customers, so I don't bother get 18-20 yo rate. Until yesterday, my boss gave me official payment receipt of my wages. I usually don't get it. It had my NI number in it.

My questions are
1. Will this affect anything on my NI?
2. Am I doing something illegal?
3. I work just 5-7 hrs/ week. I know that we pay national insurace contribution when we earn more than 149 pounds a week. I earn less than that so it won't affect anything eventhough I use this rate right
4. Is it ok to keep this going? I don't want my boss to cut my working hours. There are so many part- timer and it is hard to find a job in small town.

Thank you
Reply 1
I'm not really an expert on this kind of thing, but I will say that it's illegal for your employer to pay you less than minimum wage, you must tell them ASAP.
Reply 2
I don't understand why you want to be paid lower than you're entitled to :lolwut: how can you "not bother getting the over 21 rate"? :tongue: you need to tell your boss, it's illegal for him/her to pay you below NMW even if you're not bothered by it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending