Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing coursework for AS Bio and I was wondering if any of you guys can help me. I'm doing mine on the rate of transpiration of the flowers of a plant.
    My hypothesis is that it will not contribute to the loss of water b/c flowers do not contain stomata.
    How else can I support my hypothesis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heidi)
    I'm doing coursework for AS Bio and I was wondering if any of you guys can help me. I'm doing mine on the rate of transpiration of the flowers of a plant.
    My hypothesis is that it will not contribute to the loss of water b/c flowers do not contain stomata.
    How else can I support my hypothesis?
    Heat increases the rate of transpiration - you can measure this using a potometer and a heat lamp. If your hypothesis is correct, the rate at which the bubble travels up the potometer will be unaffected when a heat lamp is shone on the flower. You can also examine the flower under a microscope and compare it with that of leaf from the same plant... if it's possible to see stomata under a scope - I'm not totally sure as I haven't done it myself. Alternatively you could compare your potometer results with that of a potometer test conducted using the plant itself with the flowers removed. Not sure what you'd use for a control, though. Hope that helped a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    Heat increases the rate of transpiration - you can measure this using a potometer and a heat lamp. If your hypothesis is correct, the rate at which the bubble travels up the potometer will be unaffected when a heat lamp is shone on the flower. You can also examine the flower under a microscope and compare it with that of leaf from the same plant... if it's possible to see stomata under a scope - I'm not totally sure as I haven't done it myself. Alternatively you could compare your potometer results with that of a potometer test conducted using the plant itself with the flowers removed. Not sure what you'd use for a control, though. Hope that helped a bit
    Thanks for your answer
    I like the micrscope idea.
    The only thing is that I'm not using a potometer for my experiment. What I'm going to do is cover the whole plant with vaseline with the exception of the flowers. And then I would weigh the plant and wait a couple of days and weigh it again. If a change in weight occurs the flowers took part in transpiration if there wasn't any change than they didn't.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.