The Student Room Group

Will they give me another loan?

I was suspended from my last uni and have been been out for about 2 years and I want to go to another uni. Will Student Finance still give me a loan or will they think I'm just going to flunk again (even though I technically didn't).
How many years were you at uni?
Reply 2
Student Finance don't make any judgements about your ability or potential, so don't worry about that. It's just a straight calculation based on how many years you've already spent at uni. The formula is:

(Number of years your new degree course will last) plus (1 year) minus (Number of years you spent at your last uni) = Number of years of funding available for your new degree course

So if your new degree will be three years long and you were on your previous course for a year, then the calculation is 3+1-1=3, so your new degree will be fully-funded.

If your new degree lasts three years and you were on your previous course for two years, then the calculation is 3+1-2=2, so your second and third years will be fully-funded, but your first year will have to be mainly self-funded.
Hmm. You sure it works like that?
(edited 10 years ago)
Absolutely correct
Reply 5
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Hmm. You sure it works like that?

Yes, because that's how it was calculated for me. I did 2 years of a degree and dropped out. Much later, I began a new 3 year degree from scratch. That made my calculation 3+1-2=2. I had full funding for my second and third years, but had to fund most of my first year myself (including fees) apart from a minimal maintenance loan.

Nobody on the finance side was interested in my first failed attempt at uni, other than wanting to know how long it had lasted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending