The Student Room Group

Realistically, how many hours can I work alongside an MA?

Hey,

I am starting an MA in Creative Writing in September but want to keep my job in Sainsbury's too for some extra income. At the moment I'm on a 12-hour contract, but I know an MA will be very demanding; has anyone else managed this or should I drop my hours?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm going to be in the same situation as you since I'll be starting an MA soon and will need to work alongside doing that.

After spending time looking into this, I've determined that it is indeed very possible to maintain a part-time job whilst doing an MA full-time. So I think working a 12 hour contract is very much tenable, depending on what days you work and if you can negotiate a change in work hours if your timetable clashes.
Reply 2
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
Hey,

I am starting an MA in Creative Writing in September but want to keep my job in Sainsbury's too for some extra income. At the moment I'm on a 12-hour contract, but I know an MA will be very demanding; has anyone else managed this or should I drop my hours?
Thanks! :smile:

I have wondered about this as well :/

Where will you be studying your MA?
Original post by Thriwien15
I have wondered about this as well :/

Where will you be studying your MA?

Swansea Uni...got a scholarship but because my car costs me so much and I'd rather have a little extra money to fall back on, I don't really want to give up the job completely! Where are you studying?
Reply 4
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
Swansea Uni...got a scholarship but because my car costs me so much and I'd rather have a little extra money to fall back on, I don't really want to give up the job completely! Where are you studying?

That is a smart decision. I will be stretching my savings a bit :/

I will be going to Lancaster University :smile:
Original post by Thriwien15
That is a smart decision. I will be stretching my savings a bit :/

I will be going to Lancaster University :smile:

Good luck with your studies! I'm sure it'll be amazing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending